Starfish test results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Starfish test results

Post by Starfish77 »

I just had my yearly physical. I'm a 4/4 76 year old woman
total cholesterol 187
triglyceride 48
HDL 61
LDL calculated 116
cholesterol to HDL ratio 3.1

I have three flagged fields
glucose 66 70-99 mg/dl low

vit A 36 38-98 low

vit D-Hudroxy tot 23 30-100 low I am 10 in remission from Sarcoidosis vitamin D is not good for people with
Sarcoidosis. My sarcoidosis doctor thinks my vitamin D is ok
Do any of you know about Sarcoidosis and vitamin D?

I have lost 50 pounds in a little less than two years. I have had a lifetime problem with gaining and loosing weight.
My cholesterol was 206 fifty pounds ago. This time last year my cholesterol was 143. I've been working hard at
eating fish, flaxseed meal and oil. My HDL is at my lifetime high right now at 61. It used to be very low.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Starfish test results

Post by Julie G »

Hi Starfish, your lipids look amazing. I guess you were fasting at the time. Did you feel shaky or hypoglycemic? If not, I wouldn't worry about the low BG. It could actually be very good for you. Lots of current research is linking low blood glucose to reduced chances of AD.

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin. Try to remember to eat some carrots or sweet potatoes (I eat a half) everyday WITH some EVOO or butter to get the most benefit.

We have another member, Welcome Aboard, who may have had your same cancer, and is very knowledgeable about vitamin D. I will PM him to see if he can make a guest appearance for you :D
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

@Julie
Thanks for the information about Vitamin A. I mentioned that I am 10 years in remission from sarcoidosis. I did have had cancer but this is more like an auto immune disease. Here is a good explanation
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders ... dosis.aspx

There is a cancer that sounds almost like it called sarcoma. That may be the disease you are thinking of.
In prior years there were no specific tests for sarcoidosis. It was identified by eliminating other diseases with similar symptoms. 23andme now has a test for it. I show a high rating. I am participating in a study at UCSF that has found some promising genetic markers. I don't know if they are using the same markers as 23andme.

I appreciate your encouraging words about my test results. How is your tooth that was so painful doing?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Thanks for that clarification, Starfish. Hopefully, Welcome Aboard will chime in. He may have had a sarcoma, not sarcoidosis...so might not be of help after all. Let's wait and see. FWIW, per 23 and Me, I'm also at high risk for sarcoidosis.

Tooth is better. I'm still trying to figure it out. Looks like the dentist accidentally left a spacer between the 2 back molars which I THINK may have caused the infection :oops: I fished it out with floss. Not sure if I'm going to need the root canal or not. Thanks for checking on me :D