Rep - Hyperabsorption Cholesterol Balance & Fatty Acid Balance Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Rep - Hyperabsorption Cholesterol Balance & Fatty Acid Balance Results

Post by rep »

(Reposting to Proper Board Category)
Testing by Boston Heart Diagnostics (similar to Health Diagnostics Lab)

Please hack my results!

Because of my high LDL-P (over 2000) that did not decrease in spite of a major dietary change I got the Boston Heart Diagnostics Cholesterol Balance and Fatty Acid Balance tests. I would appreciate it if others who have similar results from this or the HDL and have had high LDL-P can tell me what they are doing as far as prescription medicine and other interventions.

As a reminder, as of January 1 I completely changed my diet to mainly fish, lots and lots of vegetables, some nuts, one egg a day and avocados and olive oil. NO red meat, dairy, butter, sugar etc. I have coronary calcium in the 85th percentile that doubled in the past year. All of my lipid markers stayed the same despite diet change. Only my insulin resistance improved. Apparently I am a hyper absorber of cholesterol. But, I don't understand the poor fatty acid (with the exception of the Omega 3s) results since I was eating only good fats and none of the bad ones.

And a huge thank you to Dr. Dayspring, if you are out there following this. This certainly explains a lot.

Cholesterol Balance
bostoncholesterolbalance.png
Fatty Acid Balance
bostonfattyacidbalance.png
Report Interpretation
bostonreportinterpretation.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Rep - Hyperabsorption Cholesterol Balance & Fatty Acid Balance Results

Post by Julie G »

Rep, looks like you got hit with a double whammy as you seem to both hyper-absorb sterols and over-produce cholesterol. All of your dietary changes seem to be right on target- kudos! My guess, is that they MAY not be enough to make a difference. I'm guessing your lipidologist may want to add some pharmacology to help you deal with your unique situation. Your high/normal desmosterol bodes well for cognition- nice :D

Thanks so much for sharing. Seeing your results shows me how invaluable this test is; I want to do it too.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Rep,

Looks like you don't want to take any phytosterol supplements because of your high absorption - this is what Dr. Dayspring is warning about

George
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Rep I agree with Julie. You appear to be both hyperabsorbing and hyperproducing.
George is also correct IMO, no phytosterol spreads please.
And I suspect your lipidologist will want to target both areas.
In the meantime my current knowledge makes me comfortable with the dietary advice I gave you.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Im puzzled by the fact you hyper absorb, yet you had no change in lipids based on dietary changes. Certainly makes me question either your dietary changes OR the validity of this test to be honest. Clearly, based on this test, you should have seen lipid changes.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Ski, I'm a relative novice to all of this and defer to anyone with greater knowledge, but from what I understand Rep has somewhat unusual results in that she both hyper-absorbs sterols AND over-produces cholesterol. Dr. Dayspring suggests that these typically occur in an inverse relationship.

My guess is that Rep, being hit from both sides, may need some further intervention. It would have been interesting to see her results eating higher SFA. Perhaps, we could have seen some changes with a before & after test. Regardless, kudos to Stavia, and all who've pushed Rep in the right direction. And biggest props to Rep for pushing through...even without dramatic benefits.

I hope seeing these test results offers some acknowledgement that you've on the right path. (((Rep)))
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

what it is saying is that these should be limited even more,

"one egg a day and avocados and olive oil."

maybe two eggs a week at the most occasionally, cut down avocados to <1 a week, you can use say a tsp of guacamole instead. I do the same. instead of evoo try high oelic oils which is mostly all mono's or alternate as I do.

the inflammation is stemming from delta-5-desaturase pathway and consider seasame lignans, life extension has products that contain it and so do some others. Barry Sears of the Zone has written about this and follow his guideline EPA/DHA 2:1 although seasamine was not out when he wrote about it in his book Toxic Fat, worth reading.

http://examine.com/supplements/Sesamin/

"results since I was eating only good fats and none of the bad ones."
if you read DrD you likely have a genetic defect that causes this.

not being a doctor, but just an observer of such cases it is unlikely that diet or supplements will reduce your high risk and I think a good lipidologist would likely recommend zietia and a low dose statin to start.

a vegan like diet might be an option but it must be carefully planned but should not be too difficult with so many chooses available today.

You might also have some insulin resistance so ponder the below as it might also be possible to get close to these objectives

http://www.dietdoctor.com/new-study-low ... -diabetics

good luck.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

Id agree with the pharmacology approach Gene mentioned, if Rep decided to go that route. If it were me, Id try the Zetia first, then test a month later and add the statin if needed. That gives you a good gauge for which one works better too.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Good thinking Ski. Adding one at a time and testing after each addition is very sensible.
rep
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rep »

Ski said
Im puzzled by the fact you hyper absorb, yet you had no change in lipids based on dietary changes. Certainly makes me question either your dietary changes OR the validity of this test to be honest. Clearly, based on this test, you should have seen lipid changes.
Honest, Ski, I made the dietary changes I said I did. Prior to January 1 I ate lots of saturated fat, butter, whole fat dairy etc. After January 1 I changed to fish and shellfish and 3/4 of my plate full of vegetables for dinner, salad or home-made vegetable soup for lunch, and egg with avocado and chili sauce and coffee with almond milk for breakfast. No more alcohol either. No sugar. My LDL-P stayed the same. Most of the lipids stayed the same. Only my hemoglobin A1C came down. I lost 17 pounds for goodness sakes. I do have some minor hope that the lipids may come down after my weight stabilizes. My weight loss has stalled. I do feel I am building some muscle now. (Frankly, some of the fatty acid balance test results don't make sense to me, either, given my diet for 2015. It says my saturated fatty acid results are borderline and I should lower my saturated fatty acid intake, but I did and didn't eat saturated fats more than maybe once a month and a tiny bit at that.)

I am puzzled too. If you look at my first post in the thread "Rep SO disappointed…" you will see my lipid results from December 2014 that reflect my high saturated fat, low fish diet. The lipids are basically the same as after my major diet change. I am genetically unlucky.