cletusnerd intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
cletusnerd

cletusnerd intro

Post by cletusnerd »

Hey folks!

Thank You So Very Much
for setting up this website! The APOE Express thread on 23andMe was getting a little crowded and scattershot - this website will help us contribute and learn by topic, and organize activities and research.

You may recognize my prolix written diarrhea from that thread, under a different name. Cletus Nerd was the name my college roommates and I used to subscribe to everything under the sun, to get lots of junkmail fireplace fodder. I shall endeavor to keep these discussions warm, with less junk, while keeping my identity in these public discussions veiled from those who might deny us insurance, treatment, jobs, etc.

While I am not optimistic that we will learn much to reduce the risk of AD for a 4/4 60yo like myself, I think we WILL learn to eliminate the threat for everyone under 40, forever. Billions of people before us have given their lives to help others, with much less effect. While I would rather not be a 4/4, I am proud that for the first time in history we can a big difference, right here and now. The prospect of a hanging focuses the mind.

I hope I am overly pessimistic. The monoclonal antibody trials against amyloid hold promise, but past trials resulted in a high risk of meningitis. AFAIK, this is because the brain makes amyloid for a purpose; it seems to interfere with the reproduction of herpes viruses, which most Americans have and most lab rats do not. Perhaps one of these researchers will protect their test subjects with antivirals BEFORE injecting the m.a.b.; if they don't, those of us volunteering might secretly take acyclovir (and perhaps vitamin D) before the trials, and perform our own "test within the tests". I hope a biostatistician can tell us whether we can extract useful data this way, or whether we will just bollix the m.a.b. trials.

I recently took a proctored IQ test - I came out around 150. Which seemed like good news to many ... but my IQ was around 160 when I was in my 20s. So I still have some good years to do great things, but time's a wasting! While I still have a functional brain, I need to help the poor IQ 130 sods who hope to find a cure.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: cletusnerd intro

Post by Julie G »

A warm welcome to you, cletusnerd! Yes, the prospect of a hanging will tend to focus and sharpen the mind...hence our discussions ;) I pray you're overly pessimistic for you & absolutely on point for the youngun's...I fall right in between and have no desire to hear your prognosis for me :D Your statement that we have an opportunity to affect the future 4/4s, sent a shiver up my spine. If not for us, for them. Beautifully said.

FWIW, I agree with you on the amyloid plaque. Time big Pharma learned that the enemy of our enemy is our friend 8-)
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: cletusnerd intro

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome Cletus,
I'm glad to have you with us. I already read your post on soy. I'm sure you will be a an asset to the group.