25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Levels?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Re: 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D Levels?

Post by TheBrain »

Stavia, thanks for the hug. I needed one. :)

As for gluten and Hashimoto's:

As circular noted, gluten consumption does contribute to leaky gut, which can then increases one's risk of an autoimmune disease, whether Hashimoto's or any other autoimmune disease (depending on one's genetics).

I follow the paleo autoimmune protocol (AIP). In that world, the stance is that no one with an autoimmune disease should eat gluten—ever. (Tomorrow, I'll see if I can find a specific citation or two to back that up. I only have a few minutes now and wanted to respond with at least something today.)

According to the National Foundation of Celiac Awareness, celiac disease and autoimmune thyroid disorders share a common genetic predisposition.

And I know that non-celiac gluten sensitivity and celiac disease also share a common genetic predisposition.

So a lot of people with Hashimoto's also have either non-celiac gluten sensitivity or celiac disease. But even if they don't, they need to heal their leaky gut to calm their immune system's overreactivity, and eating gluten hinders healing.

So when people with Hashimoto's eliminate gluten from their diet, they often experience some degree of healing and in some cases, remission. As healing occurs, thyroid antibodies decrease.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wow. I knew that a percentage of Hashimotos people had coeliac disease, but I never connected the dots. How fascinating.
Hope today is better honey
(((Alysson)))
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Okay Stavia, maybe you already know this part but just in case … Here's a reply I got from Dr. Aron some years back:

"CD4 cells activated at the gut level by gluten can travel through the bloodstream to the brain where they can influence the secretion of hypothalmic releasing factors that influence pituitary trophic hormones and lead to infertility. In addition, these activated CD4 cells also home to the endometrium, and can create local inflammation that can intefere with the implantation of a fertilized ovum.Hope this helps. Dr Aron"

It's somewhere in the Ask Dr. Aron pages http://www.gut-check.com/ask.htm

My related hormone issues resolved when I went of gluten, although my thyroid hormone levels have always been normal. Gluten affects everyone so differently. Also long ago someone who works here told me most of their referrals were from neurologists who couldn't place their patient's neurological symptoms http://www.cureceliacdisease.org
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.