Schnooks intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Schnooks
Contributor
Contributor

Schnooks intro

Post by Schnooks »

I'm 48, female, got my cholesterol checked in June 2012 (260!) and my doc was SO kind to include an APOE test of which I was unaware.. I am a 4/4 and was sent into a depression after hours of internet reading. I then decided to put it on the backburner and proceeded to go thru selling of house/moving, etc. and in the meantime eating whatever crap I wanted. I am now back in the I have to do something paranoia state.

What stays in my mind constantly is not just the fact that my grandfather's family was researched in regards to prevalence of alzheimer's .. but that my Mom's sister was diagnosed before 60! I have an 8 year old and I desperately want to live a long life to see this guy grow up. My mom died of melanoma at age 53 so have no idea if she would have developed Alz. .. they asked my dad if he wanted them to do a brain autopsy and he declined. Would have been interested to know.. maybe. My Grandfather had Alzheimer's.. he lived to his 70's.. and my uncle (mom's brother) has recently begun first signs of Alz. in his 70's. It's funny, I tend to think.. oh, 70's would be great to get it! as it seems like a much better scenario than 60's.

My dad is the heart side of my 4/4 .. he had 5 bypasses 2 months after my mom died.

In the meantime.. I am overly stressed anxiety ridden about it and diet change seems overwhelming.. w/ addiction to sugar, etc. Do 4/4's have more anxiety in general.. I am guessing my Brother might be one too .. he has been vegan for over 20 years.. but he doesn't know anything about 4/4 stuff. (a vegan w/ high cholesterol) So, I need to figure out what the heck to eat and how to make myself stop eating the crap!

Glad to find this forum.. sad to be part of a small majority of risky gene humans
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Schnooks intro

Post by Ski »

Welcome Schnooks. Your anxiety should settle down over this, its pretty typical.

Seems like you chose to ignore versus deal with it head on which I understand. Did you have your cholesterol rechecked since June of last year? Im 47 male, so around your age and I get what youre saying about "oh, 70's would be great". but everyone is so different.

The good thing is that it appears as though you have a lot of room for improvement diet wise, so that should give you encouragement. Just take it slow and monitor progress to see whats making a difference.

Welcome!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Hey Schnooks, just sent you a PM. I agree with Skibike. Now that you know, you CAN make positive changes to your health. I feel the same about even getting to my 70s...feels like a lofty goal now. But then, we have our very own beloved Starfish77 to serve as an example. She is a member here, who is sharp as a tack, 4/4, and 77 y/o. WE. CAN. GET. THERE.
Schnooks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schnooks »

oh, believe me I was elated to see a 77 yr old 4/4 .. I have google searched "senior APOE 4/4's" .. to try to steal their lifestyle!

Is there somewhere in the forum where people discuss what they are eating day to day?
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Not currently, but what a great idea. Why not start a topic in the Nutrition section?
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome Schnooks. I'm the 77 year old, well almost. When I signed up for 23andme every ID I chose had been taken before. I thought I liked Starfish best so I decided to add my age to make my ID distinct. Starfish76 sounds like a leftover from the Revolutionary War. Starfish77 sounded better anyway. I will be 77 soon so now you know my secret.
Julie had asked me to post my diet info. I'm putting it on the Nutrition spot, but don't expect any great exciting
revelations.
Schnooks
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Schnooks »

Thanks Starfish!

Early onset Aunt .. I was relieved to talk to my brother yesterday who reminded me that she was a smoker and also lived in LA or a long time and had to move from there because of respiratory issues.. so I'm sure she was breathing in a lot of toxins too.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Forgive me Starfish. I aged you :D
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Schnooks, welcome to the group. We are all here to give strength, ideas and support to each other. I think we've all had the slap to the face of our own mortality when confronted with our results. I try to remember that none of us knows the exact details of the future, and have chosen to focused instead on things I can control - eating, exercise, putting on my seatbelt, looking both ways before crossing the street and other basic things we probably learned in kindergarten. I'd hate to be worrying about AD, and then get hit by the proverbial truck...

I am a 3/4, and my dad had Alzheimers, his aunt had dementia (who knows if it was Alzheimers) and my mom's grandmother had dementia (which I just found out, BTW). However, my dad's sister is 88, no AD, my mom's family lived into their late 80's and 90's. So, family genes are not necessarily your destiny! Hugs to you.