Chronic inflammation

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
adventure
Contributor
Contributor

Chronic inflammation

Post by adventure »

I called my doctor and asked that my homocysteine and C-reactive protein be tested. Was told by the doctor that I needed to come in before tests could be ordered. I am concerned because I have osteoarthritis in my hips. I'm wondering if it is better to get hip replacement early to stop inflammation or if it is okay to wait. Has anyone else had this dilemma? Are there other tests for inflammation besides these two that I should be asking for?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Chronic inflammation

Post by Stavia »

Adventure honey, osteoarthritis is not an inflammatory condition, it is a degenerative condition and as such, has minimal relation to CRP or other markers of inflammation, and cannot be significantly halted by reducing inflammation. This is a huge simplification, but generally accepted.
There are many types of arthritis. In broad terms it can be divided into inflammatory types and degenerative types. The latter is usually called osteoarthritis (OA), has a genetic component and may be loosely thought of as "wear and tear". A hip replacement has a finite life thus we try to delay it as long as possible so those with early onset of OA don't end up with three major surgeries in their remaining lifespan. Your osteoarthritis in your hip is impacting your Alzheimers risk only in that it may be limiting exercise or interfering with sleep. It is not dangerous in itself.

Homocysteine is not a marker of inflammation. It is a complex product of other pathways that may have an influence on heart disease and Alzheimers.

At this stage, you should be looking at the basic markers such as Hba1c, B12, lipids, CRP, D3, TFT, as the more esoteric ones are tricky to interpret.
Homocysteine is simple in that it is easily lowered by B12, B6 and folate.