NMR Data Sample

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NMR Data Sample

Post by Gina99 »

Spunky, Where in the methylation analysis would you see the item related to protein, per your comment. I had done that methylation, but most of the time they refer you back to a doctor who specializes in that.
MarkES
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MarkES »

Starfish77 wrote:@MarkES
Thank you for doing such a great job. I want to get tested and want to be sure I am getting the correct test or tests.
I looked at the website for the NMR test and I'm not sure I'm interpreting it correctly. I don't know the abbreviations for all the tests. I'm having trouble matching them. With the NMR test are you given all the data mentioned on your chart from LDL-P to TG/H (8 items)? It is very difficult and painful getting blood from my veins so I want to be sure I'm getting all the tests done with a single stick. I never had good veins, but a year of chemotherapy really did them in.
Starfish77,

The NMR test results I've seen have included the first 6 of those 8 items. The last two items are simply math ratios of items in the first 6, so they are not necessarily in the NMR results, but rather calculations using the NMR results. There is also additional data in the NMR results, like particle size, that is currently not in the spreadsheet. Bottom line - the one test covers the 8 items.

Good luck on your test, looking forward to seeing the results.
ε3/ε4
MarkES
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MarkES »

Juliegee wrote:
Another thing I keep in mind with all of my micronutrient scrutinization is that populations on whole-foods plant-based diets seem to get along just fine, at least as far as major health outcomes are concerned.
Out of pure curiosity, I have a question for anyone who knows... Are there (or have there ever been) any free-living populations, contained in a geographic area, that exclusively eat a plant-based diet? Thanks.
Julie,

Loma Linda, CA is one area recognized for its longevity (blue zone) where they tend to eat little to no animal foods. For me, it isn't necessarily about eating 100% plants, but more about finding the balance that feels right in my case. There is quite a bit of evidence of folks doing very well on very little animal foods (e.g. Loma Linda).
Juliegee wrote:Wow, impressive, Mark-thank you so much!

Would it add anything to link the Liposcience reference page for physicians with guidelines on interpreting the NMR? It outlines different goals for LDL-C and LDL-P for patients based upon their risk level.

High-risk patients- LDL-C 100, LDL-P 1,000
Intermediate-risk patients- LDL-C 130, LDL-P 1,300
Low-risk patients- LDL-C 160, LDL-P 1,600

http://www.liposcience.com/sites/defaul ... Report.pdf

I can't thank you enough. We are all learning thanks to your collection efforts.
Yes, I think this is a good thing for folks to consider. I probably would duplicate the LIMIT, NMR line to have multiples and add HR, MR, LR to them.

A couple things:
1. So far from what I've read, LDL-P<1000 seems to the standard.
2. There is the discrepancy with the text and this table in the doc:
ScreenShot673.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ε3/ε4
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

Gina99 wrote:Spunky, Where in the methylation analysis would you see the item related to protein, per your comment. I had done that methylation, but most of the time they refer you back to a doctor who specializes in that.
control f then type protein enter and you will see it

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

ok if you got the methylation done at
http://geneticgenie.org/
which is one of the places most common it is based on Dr Amy Yasko's book which Dr Roberts also used in my example.

MarkES yes that LDL-P# in the chart is all off.. I posted the correct one like 2 years ago on the 23andme thread so I don't understand the surprise.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

James are you making a custom food item for your protein and putting it protein parts in? There are other factors missing by eating a protein substitute.

Taking Calcium is not a good idea even if one gets enough magnesium.

Now oats will raise BG so if I were you I would check in 90 minutes with a glucose meter and over time it is likely to get worse but slower for you as you are fit. 30g of oats is almost too much for me and I have good BG control but once in a while it is ok but there are other carbs that will do similar spikes.

I cannot see this approach as sustainable or based on real food so I wish you luck. Many people lived a good long life with a simpler diet.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

@ Mark, YES, I recently re-read that Liposcience link and recalled the odd discrepancies there- inexplicable as they give the same reference for both :?: And, I know Dr. Dayspring (and many others) tend to use the LDL-P of 1,000 for everyone, BUT it is quite interesting that the test makers themselves recommend different goals depending on risk levels

Thanks also for the Loma Linda connection. Most Blue Zoners do eat fish and a few other limited animal products, but the Loma Linda folks are a great example of primarily plant eaters.
MarkES yes that LDL-P# in the chart is all off.. I posted the correct one like 2 years ago on the 23andme thread so I don't understand the surprise.
@ Hey Spunky, humor us & post the "correct" chart again :D . FWIW, the link provided is directly from the test-makers (Liposcience.)
Taking Calcium is not a good idea even if one gets enough magnesium.
Maybe... for men. The evidence for women isn't as clear. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/0 ... blogs&_r=0
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Gina, Yasko and HeartFixer say that if you have CBS mutations, you need to eat less protein. Here's the pathway - methionine comes from protein. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... 9056-g001/

On related concerns, homocysteine levels are higher in AD mice, http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121456.htm

But its not clear if the high homocysteine-AD connection is due to the genetic mutations in people or a result of the disease process. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422253

MTHFR variants can increase homocysteine levels, however, with mixed MTHFR and CBS variants, homocysteine levels drop because CBS upregulates homocysteine metabolism. (I see that in my own test results. I am C677T homozygote, and have the CBS C699T and A360A hetero variants and my homocysteine levels are "normal".)
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

MarkES wrote:I believe the evidence also shows that particle size only matters to the degree it aligns with LDL-P. i.e. High LDL-P with large particles is bad (e.g. familial hypercholesterolemia folks), low LDL-P with small particles is good. Low LP-IR, agreed.
What about low LDL-P with large particles? I thought that was good? This is like the bond market :-( lol
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Low LDL-P with large particles IS very good :D

Some E4s get a low LDL-P by driving up small particles...just questioning that :?: