NMR Data Sample

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NMR Data Sample

Post by Stavia »

Its was atorvastatin 20mg and it did that in two weeks!
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

That seems a high starting dose with TC already under 200. Without knowing what your LDLp is, you wouldn't even really know if you needed to lower your LDL. Can you get APO b level? Here, I don't think doctors would put anyone on a statin with LDL of 120 unless other risk factor like heart attack or diabetic. Not sure of exact guidelines. Why did you go on statin? I would love numbers like yours (not on statin numbers that is)!

Sandra Z
e4,e4
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Stavia - Your response to statins was similar to my Dad's (also 3/4). It was VERY effective at driving down LDL… driven by a Dr with 'lower is better' mentality, it went to 27 at 80 mg/d before I figured it out (I didn't even know he was on it).
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I too had the brain fog on Bergamot, which acts like a statin. I probably had it for around 3 months in addition to poor executive function (which came before the brain fog)..... but the brain fog is HORRIBLE! The stories I could tell ya!
No muscle aches though. Mine also took around 4 weeks to clear.

Now Lipitor is known to be one of the biggest culprits. Pravachol and Crestor are the only 2 hydrophilic statins, so not be able to cross the BBB as easily. So those are one of the two Id definitely try first. I did read a study where they did find the drug in the CNS I believe but at much lower concentrations that the lipophilic statins like Simvastatin. Lipitor etc.

Oh, and having experienced that brain fog, if thats what ALZ is like, once Ive started, I think I will go back to carbo-loading and pizza as cardiac arrest may be a blessing.
Sandraz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sandraz »

At least you'd get to go happy with all those comfort foods on board! I like that possibility. What a yummy way to go. HAha. :lol:
Sandra Z
Sandra Z
E4,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Sandraz wrote:That seems a high starting dose with TC already under 200. Without knowing what your LDLp is, you wouldn't even really know if you needed to lower your LDL. Can you get APO b level? Here, I don't think doctors would put anyone on a statin with LDL of 120 unless other risk factor like heart attack or diabetic. Not sure of exact guidelines. Why did you go on statin? I would love numbers like yours (not on statin numbers that is)!

Sandra Z
e4,e4
Sandraz: we can't do NMR in my country, neither can we do APOb. The neurologist number one panicked, he also saw my old lipid numbers when I was on a high protein high carb body builder-type diet. He worked on the paradigm of lowering overall CVD risk as much as possible. He didn't know what he was really doing, neurologist number two who is experienced in this area agreed for me to stop it (I already had). Was an idiotic thing to do in the first place, but I didn't know anything then and thought the professor should know....

Skibike: yip I subsequently found out that pravastatin is best hydrophillically-wise. SIgh. And as to terminal event - I figure I will go into a haze and someone will give me a sulphite containing food and I'll die from anaphylaxis. Not a bad way to go quickly.

Russ: yeah, I was astounded at the speed of the response. I put heaps of diabetic and IHD patients on statins all the time, I've actually never seen anyone's LDL plummet like this actually.