Bentkat's introduction

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Bentkat's introduction

Post by bentkat »

The reason I did 23 & me was to discover my genetic weaknesses. Since I was adopted I am ignorant of my family history. I am a fortunate woman; I only have 1 ApoE4.

I am quite active. I cycle long distances, sometimes carrying my camping equipment when touring. I love traveling by bike. I have toured the West Coast and Europe.
I also play tennis when home and lift weights several times a week.

I am always looking for new subjects to study. I'd like to be a professional student.

Unlike many of you, I pursue a vegan diet. It has worked well for me. I am a healthy 65 year old and I plan to be a centenarian, hopefully with all my marbles.

Thanks to the people who put this site together for us so that we can learn together & support each other.

Bentkat, who rides a recumbent bike.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Bentkat's introduction

Post by Julie G »

Welcome Bentkat! It's so nice to learn more about you. I've long been a mega-fan of your name, but know that I know you tour cross-country (and beyond!) on a recumbent bike; I'm a bigger fan :D

My whole family is big into cycling. My almost 21 y/o, who struggles with major health issues, recently completed his first century ride. Cycling has been very healing for him.

There's lots of evidence that a vegan diet can be very healthful. Out of curiosity, what do your glucose numbers look like?
bentkat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bentkat »

Julie,

All my numbers are good. Glucose is in the low eighties. I eat low glycemic load. Lots of veggies some fruit, mainly berries; high fiber.

I'm delighted that your son cycles. It is a healthy activity that you can do at any age, with others or alone. Cycling is a life-long habit. :D

BK
lol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lol »

Bentkat -
A vegan diet is cool.
I ride a bike like the one Miss Gulch rode in the Wizard of Oz, who became the Wicked Witch in Dorothy's dream, including basket and handle bars. The main thing is to choose our cardio and do it. Good to keep stretched, and to include some strength work-outs. Be strong and capable, that's the ticket.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

OH LOL, you're making me change my visual on you :lol:

Bentkat, I'm surrounded by cyclists. My husband is also a huge enthusiast. He calls his regular 50 mile ride "going to church." When he flew for the Navy (years ago) he cycled all over Germany & had some very interesting adventures- one included sleeping in a farmer's hayloft during a rainstorm and repairing his flat tire in a water trough. I'm sure you've got some crazy stories of your own.

He's gotten me a VERY fancy touring bike (I do not deserve) that absolutely KILLS my neck. After 20 miles, I'm spent. I need a cool bike like yours :D