Hello Everyone!

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Everyone!

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hello Everyone,

It's taken me awhile to get the nerve to introduce myself, even longer to find my user name, which is Thx4thegenes, based on Bob Hope's song Thanks for the Memory! I know, I'm dating myself! I suppose it was a play on the APOE4 gene and losing your precious memories! I'm a 54 year old female E3/E4, which I discovered through 23 and Me a few years ago when they were still showing the health risks. Before the FDA stepped in. I believe this is coming from my father's side of the family, because his mother had dementia at around 86 years old. My father just turned 88 and doesn't have a very good diet, eats and drinks whatever he wants, so much sugar and fat, etc. and also has his cocktails in the evening! He seems to be doing ok. Amazing!

I was familiar with some of you on the 23 and Me site and then discovered that you created this site, which has been wonderful for me and I'm sure a lot of many people! A wealth of information! I've read Dr. Isaacson's book, have been listening to podcasts, watching You Tube videos with Dr. Rhonda Patrick, Dr. Gundy and others. As a matter of fact, I recently sent Dr. Patrick an email asking if she is researching APOE4 and all the things that come along with it, because she revealed that she too has it, and that she could create a new video or something for all of us out here. I'm sure that you would have more influence on her than me.

I only learned about the NMR test about a year ago through a blog site that I sometimes read and discovered my LDL-P was pretty high. I suppose it's a fairly new test, I really don't know, but it makes you wonder why everyone isn't getting tested? It only came to my attention, that this doctor on the blog was sharing a list of tests that you should be asking your doctor for. Then I had a wake up call that I need to pay attention to all of this more closely and found you! I've always considered myself a healthy person, exercised, ran, etc. I was a vegetarian for 25 years and become "Paleo" for about 4 1/2 years. Talk about a swing in the pendulum. Paleo was great for my weight loss and I had no cravings whatsoever, but probably inside my body, it was not doing so well and the numbers began to reflect that. The changes I have made are no more coconut oil and milk, less saturated fats, stopped taking fish oil, introduced steel cut oats and beans back into my diet. We have been purchasing local grass fed beef and pastured pork for years now and that used to last maybe 6 months, but now, I believe it may last up to year due to cutting back and trying to eat more veggies and palm sized pieces of meat rather than it being all about the meat. I hope that I am learning well from all of you! Too bad that bacon is not our friend!

I was wondering if anyone has use Promethease or GB Healthwatch along with their 23 and Me results even if you received your health risks from them? Thank you for listening and a huge thank you for all that you do!
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again.......

Post by Thx4thegenes »

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that with the recent changes I've made with my diet, my numbers are beginning to come down a bit. Yay!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello Everyone!

Post by Stavia »

Hi sweetie and welcome!
I merged your two topics into one as its easier to keep all your introduction on one thread.
We are very pleased to see you here.
23andme haven't been doing health reports for a while and I for instance found out my 4/4 status through Promethease.
Well done on tweaking things towards better health!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, my friend! Congrats on your health improvements. I've seen E4 be very motivating for many... Including me :D . I did get my health report from 23andMe, but also used Promethease to learn more. I'm so glad you found your way over here. Feel free to poke around and ask questions.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Thank you so much Stavia and Juliegee! I appreciate it! I'm so glad that I found my way here as well. What a wealth of information you provide and all of you are very welcoming. I think I will use Promethease as well. Should be interesting, that's for sure.