New RU442

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New RU442

Post by ru442 »

Apod... you caught me! I just looked at my BMI result and I am at 26.5 (intermediate risk). I've a little beer belly, I expect that will get better over time! Crap.... I'll need to get new pants!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Two extra thoughts

1. What Frank said. Yip.
2. How does the honey being organic miraculously negate it being glucose (raising insulin directly) and fructose (directly metabolised into..... drumroll.... triglycerides)?
Sorry sweetie. Not what you'd like to hear I know.

Ps. I live in a country producing the most stunningly delicious dairy products and its overwhelmingly all grassfed (some cows get a bit of feed when they go to the barn to get milked but they all roam our green hills of Middle Earth). I am surrounded by temptation. I understand your pain. It hurts soooo much.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New RU442

Post by ru442 »

Stavia wrote:Two extra thoughts

1. What Frank said. Yip.
2. How does the honey being organic miraculously negate it being glucose (raising insulin directly) and fructose (directly metabolised into..... drumroll.... triglycerides)?
Sorry sweetie. Not what you'd like to hear I know.

Ps. I live in a country producing the most stunningly delicious dairy products and its overwhelmingly all grassfed (some cows get a bit of feed when they go to the barn to get milked but they all roam our green hills of Middle Earth). I am surrounded by temptation. I understand your pain. It hurts soooo much.
Lol you guys rock.... yeah I figured, but you know the old saying "if you don't ask....". Was gonna post a list of things in the nutrition thread, but I went to the store and read labels... alas pickled herring is out (contains sugar), amongst many other favorites.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New RU442

Post by Stavia »

ru442 wrote:Was gonna post a list of things in the nutrition thread, but I went to the store and read labels... alas pickled herring is out (contains sugar), amongst many other favorites.
LOVE PICKLED HERRING!!!
Sigh
I have to get my staff to hide my dark chocolate and they will only give me one square a day when I ask for it. Addiction sucks.
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: New RU442

Post by ru442 »

Stavia wrote:
ru442 wrote:Was gonna post a list of things in the nutrition thread, but I went to the store and read labels... alas pickled herring is out (contains sugar), amongst many other favorites.
LOVE PICKLED HERRING!!!
Sigh
I have to get my staff to hide my dark chocolate and they will only give me one square a day when I ask for it. Addiction sucks.
ROFLMAO!

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Welcome RU422 and thank you for sharing. I'm considered a newbie here, so I'll be the first to ask, what is 442?
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Thx4thegenes wrote:Welcome RU422 and thank you for sharing. I'm considered a newbie here, so I'll be the first to ask, what is 442?
It is supposed to mean "are you apoe4/4 too?"...
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Harrison »

Stavia wrote:I have absolutely no idea what naturally sweet beverages you could drink that would not raise your insulin. Even artificial sweeteners raise your insulin thru a brain mechanism (reference: Jason Fung)
Disclaimer / Conflict of interest: I consume a substantial amount of artificial sweeteners, primarily stevia and sucralose. Also 3/4

I have been looking into this artificial sweeteners and insulin issue for a while. There is not a consensus in the literature that artificial sweeteners increase insulin. Take this review for example http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26095119. The most reliable pattern appears to be that people that are obese tend to be more sensitive to artificial sweeteners than people who are lean. I think that people that are obese may well be consuming a lot of other things that are impacting insulin sensitivity, so I can believe that the effects of the artificial sweeteners are real, but more likely (or only detectable) in a person developing insulin resistance.

On some level I know it would be a good idea to ween myself off of artificial sweeteners, but I think they are a very useful tool to get away from sugar, honey, etc. My fasting insulin level has been as low as 2.3 while consuming a fair amount of artificial sweeteners, but my BMI is 23 so that goes to that suggestion about obesity playing a role in insulin sensitivity to artificial sweeteners.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Agreed Harrison. Im reading Jason Fung atm so I'm guilty of reductionism and thinking too simplistically. And I'll bet there is much genetically driven variation in response. I was addicted to diet coke (at least a litre a day) since my 20s and finally managed to stop it 2 years ago. I was always worried about what it was doing to me. Definitely wasn't as hungry after the hideous 6 week withdrawal settled. Was the increased hunger insulin driven? Not a clue. But it actually felt like opiate withdrawal with nausea and agitation ie addiction centre stuff.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Oh, how I miss diet Coke...