Glucose/Insulin 3-hour test result

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glucose/Insulin 3-hour test result

Post by Stavia »

Don't worry about 2 weeks glucose spikes. The greater good and all that. You WANT to have your insulin not suppressed, that's the whole point of the test. Eat whatever you want and ignore the glucose. 2 weeks higher levels won't do any long term damage. Enjoy the legal cheat!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

I understand what George is saying. I commented earlier in another thread about how impressed I am with the fact that his analytical mind helped with his diagnosis and that his tenacity and diet helped him deal with his afib successfully. Great work.

But as a medical person I completely agree with STAVIA. Do not self medicate or self diagnose this episode. Not saying George is suggesting that, he is talking more about a monitoring device. But you need to be worked up by MD and Cardiologist.

The range of issues is complex and you just do not want take chances. But stay positive, stress is not your friend, follow up and be compliant. Stavia is a smart girl, listen to her please. Then when you get a diagnosis, George is a wealth of information and smart as hell. Nobody on the forum is trying to diagnose, just giving you strong advice to follow up with appropriate medical professionals. With proper care you will be fine, no worries.

Frank
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Frank. Hubbs has already seen a cardiologist and has started some investigations and will go to a neurologist if necessary.
George is extremely smart and I value his opinion and eye for detail and ferreting out useful information. Also extremely caring and I am proud to be his friend. He does exceptionally well as a non-medical trained scientist. I'm just lucky to be trained in diagnosing with a wider base of knowledge.
We make a good tag team lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hubbs wrote:What to eat for 150g/day carbs in a 1250cal diet with minimal blood glucose spike without floated like a pig?
Not sure how much time you have left on your 150g/day, but I'd use glucose rather than fructose. This would be things like sweet potatoes (a starch).
Tincup
E3,E4
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

Actually the true test is pure glucose, so again Mr. George is on it.

Your welcome Stavia, and glad Hubbs went to or is continuing with Cardi doc.

Frank
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Surfrank57 wrote:Actually the true test is pure glucose, so again Mr. George is on it.
Fructose is very insulinogenic, so Hubbs don't worry about this not spiking insulin, if you've been eating it (and this is the point of your two week exercise). My reason for suggesting glucose is that I think it is easier on the system than fructose, and will also spike insulin.
Tincup
E3,E4
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

Stavia, I hear you. I will follow through on the retest with 2-long-week carb loading!

Frank, thanks for the truly important advices. I did went to see various doctors to get checked out. Carotid mild plaque. Calcium score still ZERO. Had echocardiogram today. Blood work all normal. Dizzy from time to time but very mild, nothing like that on April 8th and none of that strange chest/body shake (finger crossed). That heart event monitor is hard to keep on as the glue caused serious skin rashes just after first few days of use and I now have to take breaks from waring it.

George, I will try sweet potato again - in February even 1/4 small one caused big spike so I stopped eating it since. I noticed recently that a few organic strawberries in chia pudding barely raise my BG, so I indulge those lately. But same food does cause different BG responses at different times still, quite unpredictable as hard as I try to track everything.

I feel so fortunate to have your input!
E3/E4
MTHFR compound heterozygous (C677T and A1298C)
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
All advices appreciated :)
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hubbs don't bother tracking the next two weeks. You want spikes and they will happen. If you don't spike your insulin will stay suppressed and the test will be a waste again. Stop testing. Just enjoy the eating!
Surfrank57
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Surfrank57 »

Hubbs no problem, thanks for the update. Do you lift weights, if you do enjoy the carbs and insulin spike and build some muscle. Win, win....Lol

Take care, don't stress, worst thing you can do.

Frank
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

Stavia, OK! Today I went ahead to eat whatever with my guest without worrying about pp BG spike, broke most of my diet rule except the goal of 150g carb/day:
-Multigrain/seed bread toast with egg/mushroom/strawberries and nuts
-Huge colorful salad with salmon/seeds at Whole food, followed by tiny spoons of ice cream tasting at salt & straw
-3 cups (fried :oops:) of sweet potato wedges with ginger aioli, Pacific crab tossed with onion, celery, lemon and mayonnaise in a seared East coast style bun... (for this dinner i can't resist to check pp BG - 175@1hr20min, 161@2hr20min, 139@3hr20min, 136@4hr20min...)

Frank, love the win win idea! Eating so much carbs actually makes me too tired to go to gym. Normally I do basic resistance training with weight 2 time/week, eating 75g +/- carb/day. I do want to train and gain more muscle!!!
Last edited by Hubbs on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
E3/E4
MTHFR compound heterozygous (C677T and A1298C)
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
All advices appreciated :)