Glucose/Insulin 3-hour test result

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glucose/Insulin 3-hour test result

Post by Stavia »

This begs the question of what is worse - a short duration glucose spike or a short duration insulin spike....ideas will be all theory and opinion IMO....
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Hubbs wrote:I am thinking of using the drug only on occasions when large carb meals are unavoidable and I would not be able to walk around to bring the spike back down. But most time still eat low sugar/carb, therefore may not need to take the drug often. Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
As a lay person - I would be inclined to get an insulin prescription to cover your blood sugar, and minimize when you need its use. My instinct is you look like someone with a compromised pancreas. Dr. Bernstein has patients who have been able to lift the load off their pancreas by restricting carbs and targeted use of insulin. They have been able to remain in this state for a long period of time. I have a friend going on 10 years following this program. He could live without any insulin, but uses a minor amount to keep from degrading his pancreatic function. In Bernstein's book, he details how to compute how much to use with some precision.

To me this is a much better plan than telling your pancreas to amp up on demand and possibly shortening its useful life.
Tincup
E3,E4
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

George, I would agree with you that insulin seems a better choice overall. This is my third Endo and first willing to use medication for my BG control. Will see if she would give me some insulin instead. Right now she wants me to use the drug before carb meals, and after my return in September repeat the 3h insulin glucose test at a specific lab "with the drug" which I don't know for sure if she wants me to take the pill before drinking the glucose.
E3/E4
MTHFR compound heterozygous (C677T and A1298C)
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
All advices appreciated :)
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

Stavia wrote:This begs the question of what is worse - a short duration glucose spike or a short duration insulin spike....ideas will be all theory and opinion IMO....
That's the question I wonder about. What would you do personally if you have my condition?

Yesterday I had a hypo 5 hours after taken the pill and 2hr after a snack (1 giant strawberry mixed with cocoa powder almond butter olive oil) and a stroll around my house. I quickly ate a mix of 1/2 nectarine and almond butter plus a piece of shrimp. Blood suger jumped from 67 to 137 in 30 minutes. However no BG spike at all post dinner of 1 cup cold potato salad and 2 cups cooked broccoli without using the pill. Tricky.

After hearing about controversy of diabetes drug treatment, and my hyper hypo swing, my husband isn't so sure about wanting me to use the drug so I don't have to eat super restrictive diet - it's been no fun we mostly eat separately.
E3/E4
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hubbs its a hard one. Did you ever do the full insulin response test after a couple weeks carbs?

I'd probably do what clever George suggested. A couple of units very short acting insulin. But you'd need to be trained and know exactly what you are doing or you could have a nasty hypo.
Hubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hubbs »

Thanks Stavia. After carb loading all the way I failed to go through with retest where I was at the time, also my then endocrinologist told me not to as he had enough info to diagnose my problems. Now, the current endo who put me on Prandin do want me to repeat the test to her specifications, after using Prandin for a month, without carb loading.

Today I tried the drug again before a Thai dinner Pumpkin Tofu Curry +1/3 cup rice, and blood glucose spiked anyway to 239 @1hr pp, walked intensely for the next 40 minutes bg dropped to 118 @2hr pp. Now it down to 76 @ 5hr pp, hungry... This drug seems to have no effect on the spike yet having an impact to much lower bg later when not needed.
E3/E4
A1c5.7/LDL-P1602
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

I'm like George's friend, I use apidra for just a few meals. For instance, I'm on vacation and it's very difficult to eat like I do at home, especially as a vegetarian. At home, I can eat a medium carb and get on treadmill to hold off spike. So while traveling, having insulin is awesome. I am ridiculously motivated to avoid large bg spikes because I get a painful tummy, literally tender to the touch. Must be a weird reaction of stomach hormones, etc.