NMR and LP(a) results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

NMR and LP(a) results

Post by Robin2038 »

I received my first NMR and LP(a) results, after being on my Muses protocol diet (which doesn't differ much from my regular diet, except I am taking 2-3 TBSP a day of coconut oil and eating a little less starchy veggies and I'm more serious about eating 0 sugar than before--no cheats).
My basic cholesterol levels are very similar to tests prior to "new" diet; my HDL went up a little, as did my LDL but not much (about 10 mg/dL each?)

And by the way, I'm CETP Rs5882 GG, and my HDL has always been well over 60 and has been climbing since I started eating more good fats and better overall.

Thoughts are welcome:

Lipoprotein (a) 16 nmol/L

LDL-P: 1259 nmol/L
LDL-C 152 mg/dL
HDL-C 102 mg/dL
Triglycerides 58 mg/dL
HDL-P 35.0 umol/L
small LDL-P <90 nmol/L
LDL Size 21.8 nm

I"m not really savvy on this, but understand when you smart guys discuss it. My report said the 1259 was high. Is that as meaningful as the good results on size (and are they optimal?).
Thanks everyone as always :)
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: NMR and LP(a) results

Post by marthaNH »

The consensus, as I understand it, on LDL-P is the lower the better. Also, it looks to me like you are "discordant" in the right way. I had LDL-P similar (actually higher) to yours that resolved to much lower -- below 1000 -- when I increased soluble fiber and dropped the coconut oil, cream, butter, and other saturated fats.

You may have good reasons to be taking the coconut oil that lead to a decision to keep things as they are. My HDL was still 106, though, even after the LDL-P came down, and as far as I can tell, it's what they call "functional" HDL. So for what that's worth. I have reason to aim for a very low LDL-P. You may have different priorities.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Wow your HDL is over 2mmol/l.
Impressive.
Most e4s on the forum seem to run at 1200ish LDL-p. Except Julie who has managed to get hers lower by slashing all saturated fat.
If your coronary calcium score is low I'd personally not fret.
Others may have different opinions. I'm personally not as worried about lipids in my personal measures to delay/prevent AD as I am more looking at other biomarkers such as glycaemic control, inflammation, micronutrients and vitamin levels.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Thanks ladies,

I'm taking the coronary calcium test probably next month. I am concerned with lipids more for my heart, as my dad died of heart disease at 37. I don't have any of his risk factors (aside from one of his "4"s :x ), but I'm still getting all the necessary tests just in case.

Robin
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Robin, considering you're eating so much SFA in the coconut oil, your LDL-P looks really good. You're below the 50th percentile, and as Martha noted, discordant in a GOOD way. Congrats on all of your positive changes and really good lipids- KUDOS!

Apologies in advance for all of my questions. Please feel free not to answer. I'm just trying to get a broader picture. Do you have any signs of IR now? What's your A1c, fasting glucose & insulin? Do you have any belly fat? Are you noticing improved cognition with the coconut oil? I ask as I have a theory that coconut oil or MCT may be very beneficial when one is insulin resistant and demonstrating cognitive symptoms, BUT as insulin resistance is healed, I suspect a transition to healthier fats (MUFAs & PUFAs) may be more heart healthy :idea:. I wish someone would examine the effect of plant SFA vs. animal SFA on our genotype. Until then, you're very smart to do an EBT just to be safe.

Also, where does your Lp(a) fall on the reference range of your specific test? I ask as it's measured different ways. I'm trying to better understand your results. As you're probably aware, an elevated level makes lowering LDL-P even more important.

Lastly, LOL Stavia. Trust me, I eat plenty of SFA but T-R-Y to keep it below 10% of total calories. Lots of members here are yielding LDL-Ps below the 50%ile by practicing a similar (or even more stringent) strategy.
Robin2038
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Robin2038 »

Hi Julie,

I don't have any signs of IR. One of my A1c tests was 5.7 but that was right before I started my protocol and I had been a bit naughty for about a month :roll: . My past A1c levels were mostly 5.2-5.5. Do you consider that suboptimal? I'm guessing it's lower now since starting the protocol. My fasting glucose recently (since protocol) has been in the low-mid 70s. I don't have any belly fat...zero. :D I've lost around 15 lbs in the past 1.5 years and it's all gone. I don't have a fasting insulin value offhand, but I can look back on some older tests and check. I don't eat coconut oil every day as my doc wants me to do, but I'd say most days I eat a couple of TBSP of coconut oil or use coconut milk in a recipe. I love coconut so its not hard for me to get it in most days. Dairy may also be increasing my LDL-P level a bit. I take some half-and-half in my coffee/tea, drink the occasional full fat latte, and eat some cheese a few times a week. I'm trying to reduce the dairy now, but I don't think I'll give it up entirely unless there's a real need. I've given up my favorite food--hearty, crusty, bread so please leave me my dairy :lol:
It seems the Lp(a) results are very good (see below). I don't have a better reference so I don't know if some people are much lower than 16 (didn't do any research yet), but it seems reasonably good. I can't tell if my cognition has improved from the coconut oil because I started everything (supplements, sticking to my diet more) around the same time. I do feel a bit sharper since starting on the protocol a couple of months ago. If I could only turn down the stress and sleep more I would probably see more of a difference, but having 3 kids and a mom who relies on me and a full time job doesn't leave me much time for de-stressing!

The Lp(a) results said: 16nmol/L <75 Values greater than or equal to 75nmol/L may indicate an independent risk for CHD

Take Care and thanks as always for all of the great information and feedback.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Robin, your Lp(a) looks great. Given the reference range, your level is clearly NOT a risk for CVD.

Congrats on reducing your A1c. Your one time peak of 5.7 is considered to be pre-diabetic. It looks like you've brought that down substantially. Given your metabolic improvements and creeping LDL-P, you might consider asking your physician if you could substitute some of your coconut oil for fats that may potentially be more heart healthy for our population- like MUFAs & PUFAs (nuts, seeds, avocados, EVOO, etc. Coconut oil is high in SFA and subsequently tends to raise LDL-P especially in ApoE4+ individuals. The other fats will still create ketones -albeit a bit more slowly- and provide the same benefit.

I hear you on the stress. I think many of us who are caretakers struggle with that. FWIW, I'm also struggling with the half and half in my coffee; high SFA. I keep trying to give it up, but can't... If anyone has a decent alternative, please share. You've made some amazing improvements. Keep up the great work!
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by thumperama »

Juliegee wrote:FWIW, I'm also struggling with the half and half in my coffee; high SFA. I keep trying to give it up, but can't... If anyone has a decent alternative, please share.
How about half + half with a tablet of alpha cyclodextrin? I've been doing that all of two days now :)
RichardS
Contributor
Contributor

Post by RichardS »

Juliegee wrote: FWIW, I'm also struggling with the half and half in my coffee; high SFA. I keep trying to give it up, but can't... If anyone has a decent alternative, please share.
Hi Julie...OK, this is not going to work for everybody, but when I went dairy/egg free over a year ago, I also struggled with having something in my coffee. While I do enjoy espresso from an amazing local coffee house (which I have repeatedly failed to replicate at home), to my morning cup of drip at home I add Isoprime 100% beef protein isolate (chocolate flavor with stevia) equal to about 6g protein for 6-8oz of coffee. I promise, not hint of beef flavor as it is hydrosylated (reduced to peptides/amino acids from the original proteins). Like a frothy mocha from the coffeehouse when whipped with my stick blender. It is not a whitener like diary cream or coconut cream (yuck), but it works for me.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Really interesting, Richard. The beef throws me a little, but you're doing it for the taste I presume? I'm guessing it sweetens and adds depth given the chocolate flavor?

OK, Chris. I'm really intrigued. Please feel free to share more here or in the recent cyclodextrin thread. I've read that it selectively absorbs trans and saturated fat, but I'm not fully grasping the MOA of exactly h-o-w that's possible :?. Are you feeling any differently? I'd love to learn more.