August Meet-up Dinners

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

August Meet-up Dinners

Post by KatieS »

This thread is just to get us started on deciding on a few restaurants during our Boulder CO meet-up & conference 8/11-13. Since on 8/11, both Dr. Bredesen and Grundry will be speakers that afternoon, we would most certainly want to extend an invitation for a more formal, quiet dinner that evening. So far, I've used the conference recommended restaurants and another based on reviews. I sent emails 3/28 with only one reply and another after calling the restaurant.

- Leaf Vegetarian immediately replied offering to set up two tables for ~20 and order from their menu, we would occupy about half the small restaurant, but the menu might be too carb laden (http://leafvegetarianrestaurant.com/wp- ... d-wine.pdf)

-Blooming Beets Kitchen's owner Iva who has a cookbook coming out soon, agreed to a large table and to set up reservations online (http://www.bloomingbeets.com)

-Shine has a private lounge for 50+, but does have a menu with bone broth and Ozuke probiotic raw slaw (http://www.shineboulder.com/menus/dinner-menu/)

-Zeal is very casual, but has won awards (http://zealfood.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 6-0201.pdf)

-Fresh Thymes again too casual, more counter and made to order menu (http://freshthymeseatery.com/menu/)

I'm sure that locals will have good input as none of the above completely fit for the speaker's dinner.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: August Meet-up Dinners

Post by Julie G »

Huge thanks for all of your effort here, Katie. To be honest, all of the choices look great to me. We'll need to put together a dinner for the 10th, 11th, 12th and 13th so maybe we'll get to try them all? I'd also love to hear from locals. I'll also work on getting our dinner guest speakers lined up so we know what nights we should go slightly more formal...

Please keep sharing your ideas here!
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

I can say I have been to all except Fresh Tymes Eatery and haven't been disappointed with any. Sorry for the late response to this. I have a kid in a production of Mary Poppins and that has been controlling our household. Let's just say after 5 weeks of practice I want to put that spoonful of sugar somewhere "unpleasant".

Give me a week to get this behind me and I am happy to do some local food recon.

A
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Katie, I just wandered thru the menus of the restaurants you listed, and in my opinion we can't go wrong with any of them! Each restaurant has something for everyone, I think. Thanks so much for the research!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

I no longer live in the area but shortly before moving away, I ate at Fresh Thymes. The food was absolutely delicious, but I don't think the restaurant is suitable for a large group. I think if four or five of us wanted to eat there, that would work. But 15-20 of us would be standing in line a long time just to get our orders in.

Now perhaps if we call ahead, they could accommodate us. But I don't recall the restaurant having enough seating for such a large group.

I evidently missed out on some great restaurants, as I had never been to the other ones. However, I don't think the vegetarian restaurant could meet my protein needs. But I could always bring a grass-fed beef stick along.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'll look forward to Asia's updates in a few weeks.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Do any locals have updated restaurant recommendations during our Boulder meet-up? I'm considering reserving Thursday night as possibly we'll have the speakers at a more formal restaurant (which one would be best?) and Friday for either Blooming Beets, Shine or Leaf Vegetarian. I hope all i(including George & Thesea) find the menus accommodating enough.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

KatieS wrote: I hope all i(including George & Thesea) find the menus accommodating enough.
Thanks Katie! One trick I use if it won't work is to bring our own food and then pay the restaurant and tip the server just like we ate their food. I call ahead and make sure this works for them.
Tincup
E3,E4
asiagillett
Contributor
Contributor

Post by asiagillett »

I would suggest Leaf for the more formal restaurant suggestion. Sorry for the lack of input. Crazy time of year, end of school year, graduations, etc....I am going to Boulder Friday so will be looking. Honestly so many of the restaurants accommodate vegan/gluten free/organic etc. options that finding quality food in Boulder is really no hardship.

George, funny I bring my own food into several restaurants. Mainly b/c they are kid places like Red Robin. I always just tip well and be careful not to leave a mess and have never been given a problem.

Asia
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I'm going wherever Julie is