August Meet-up Dinners

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: August Meet-up Dinners

Post by Stavia »

oh my I am SO EXCITED!!!!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

SusanJ,
Thanks for the plan about meeting at 5:30. It will be so great to see you all. I can't wait.
Starfish
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

GeorgeN,
Thanks for the Uber info.
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

GeorgeN wrote:Parking

There is a lot next to the UMC map
Euclid AutoPark

Open 24/7, Euclid AutoPark (EAP) is located between Broadway and 18th Street (east of the UMC) and is a "Pay by Plate" paystation lot. You will need to have your license plate number to pay at any of the paystations located at each pedestrian exit.

The EAP parking rate is $2.00 per hour up to three hours, during the hours of 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM. After three hours, the rate is $4.00 per hour. The parking fee is $4.00 from 5:00 p.m. until 7:30 a.m. each weeknight and all day Saturday and Sunday. EAP paystations accept payment by credit card, coin and Parkmobile (Zone 6334). This parking garage is subject to special event parking arrangements.
More info
Don't know if the AHS has made any parking arrangements...

Also saw this:
Temporary permits are available to campus affiliates and visitors at the PTS customer service window, 1050 Regent Drive. Date and display these permits when needed. For additional visitor parking options, view our Visitor/Short-term Parking page.
Cost
One day $9.00
One week $16.00
Pay with Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, check or cash. Temporary permits are not refundable and parking is assigned in lots that PTS knows to be available for temporary periods.
Here: URL
I just called CU's Parking and Transportation Services to inquire about getting a temporary parking permit for AHS16. I was told that events such as AHS16 usually have a code for attendees with cars to use to receive discounted parking in the Euclid AutoPark lot (the lot that George mentions above). I have joined the AHS16's Facebook group and have asked if there is such a code for attendees with cars. If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

The person I spoke with suggested I pursue this option first. If that doesn't work out, then I'll call back to discuss other options—which I gather include getting a temporary permit. Hopefully, it wouldn't involve parking far, far away from the University Memorial Center (UMC), where the event is being held.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

In response to my query about whether there's a discount code for the parking lot next to the UMC, the moderator on the AHS Facebook group wrote: "I don't know anything about a parking code. The CU conference planners said that it is best if people take public transportation to the UMC."

I told her that this is not a viable option for me personally. I'm staying in Lafayette, and I'm not riding a bus 52 minutes each way to get to the symposium. I asked if this decision could be reconsidered. I haven't heard back.

It appears to me that event organizers didn't notify CU's Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) about the event, which is supposed to happen when an event has more than 10 people. Hopefully, I'm wrong, or if I'm right, it won't be a problem for anyone. The PTS woman I spoke with today told me that parking is a major issue on the CU campus. Anyway, I passed that information along to the AHS Facebook moderator, and she notified the organizers.

Regarding the weeklong temporary permits, yes, they are available for $16. There are two lots reserved for this purpose. The one lot requires a 10-minute walk. The other lot requires a 5-10 minute walk. You'd need to purchase the permit at the Visitor & Short Term Parking Services office at 1050 Regent Drive.

Instead of spending almost $100 for parking, I think I'll buy the temporary permit. My preference is still to be able to receive a discount code for the lot adjacent to the UMC, but I'm not counting on that happening.
ApoE 4/4 - When I was in 7th grade, my fellow students in history class called me "The Brain" because I had such a memory for detail. I excelled at memorization and aced tests. This childhood memory helps me cope!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Susan - good suggestion meeting in the Hotel lobby at 5:30pm Wed...see you then!!
TheBrain
Contributor
Contributor

Post by TheBrain »

Regarding a discount code for parking at the AHS, one of the organizers, Katherine Morrison, wrote:
The only option we were given for a discount code would have required prepurchase of parking passes, then resale, which after AHS14, our accountant asked us not to do again.

Additionally it overwhelmed our volunteers having to take on another unexpectedly time-consuming task, mediating numerous parking challenges and issues that came up.

AHS14 [AHS16] is almost entirely volunteer run. Thanks for your understanding!

If there was just a code we could have offered, without having to buy and sell something, we definitely would have done so!
I certainly understand!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good to know, Alysson. THANKS for checking!