Hello there

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Hello there

Post by grommet »

Hi folks - I just wanted to formally introduce myself and share a little background.

I stumbled across the APOE topic based on a 23andme test I took last year. Believe it or not, my wife and are are BOTH E4/E4 which is pretty upsetting to say the least. My APOE status was confirmed via more dedicated follow up test from LabCorp.

We are both very active and healthy - I'm 45 and she's 43 with no signicant health issues at all. Both of our blood panels are excellent, with no significant family history of chronic disease of any kind. From a disease risk standpoint, neither of us are worried about dying from cancer or heart disease/stroke. That of course leaves neurodegenerative disease which has become my focus (some would say my obsession).

I also do quite a bit of self-experimentation from a health standpoint so I do intend on getting to the root of what diet/lifestyle can set us up for success down the road. As I stumble across interesting observations I'll definitely share them with the community.

Glad to be here!
Dan
ε4,ε4
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello there

Post by J11 »

Welcome grommet!

I have to ask, do you have any children?
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Welcome grommet! I'm 51yr 4/4 female and shortly thereafter we discovered my father 75yr is also 4/4. So shocking! I can relate to the distress. It's a different twist from your situation but still upsetting when we found out. So neither you nor your has high ldl? If so, that's good news! Glad to have you, sorry you're a part of "the worst club ever" lol. Gotta keep a sense of humor around here :D
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

J11 wrote:Welcome grommet!

I have to ask, do you have any children?
Do I ever! I neglected to mention that this is my 2nd marriage and we both brought in separate children into the marriage. That said, I have four girls and she has two boys. Yes it's very busy around here. :o

Reading between the lines I'm guessing you're wondering if our children are also E4 carriers. I'm assuming "yes" and at least one allele based on genetic probability, right?
Dan
ε4,ε4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi Grommet and welcome. Thanks for sharing your story and we look forward to your contributions to our collective knowledge
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by grommet »

@Silverlining - thanks for kind words, and sorry to hear about your father. Is your father experiencing any dementia symptoms of any kind? Hoping that's a "no", of course. Everything I've read indicates that 4/4 is a risk factor only and not a death sentence. What I'm hoping to do personally is figure what lifestyle choices can normalize my risk with the general population. The "Start here first" post on this forum definitely resonated with me.

Re: your question about LDL. I suppose it is on the high end @ 120 but I'm not concerned about that. My HDL is ~80 and my LDL-P is below 1000. A1C is 5.1, fasting glucose is 90. Interesting enough, when I was in my Bulletproof Coffee phase my LDL-P shot up to over 1300. Emperically speaking I'm assuming 4/4s are particularily sensitive to saturated fat which is why the Mediterranean Diet is recommended.
Dan
ε4,ε4
J11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by J11 »

grommet, I was especially wondering whether you might have had any children with your current wife?
In this instance, all children would also be 44.

I feel great compassion for those Alzheimer families who would be in a circumstance in which multiple family
members might be coping at the same time with dementia. It has been a challenge for us to cope with a single
family member. Yet, with the current pace of dementia research it does not seem unreasonable to expect that
effective treatments are no longer far beyond the horizon.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome grommet and keep doing what you're doing. Your numbers look great. There are certainly others here that found that saturated fat is not our friend.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome grommet! By virtue of the most 4s, you and your wife are our new reigning power couple :D
cdamaden
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by cdamaden »

Welcome aboard. Glad to see more 4/4s who are doing some biohacking. Please share your results.
Chris
E4/E4
Alameda, CA, USA