Hello there

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
grommet
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Hello there

Post by grommet »

Thanks everyone for the fantastic welcome. Very happy to be here.
Dan
ε4,ε4
Silverlining
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Silverlining »

Grommet, my dad is doing very well, in my opinion. He travels frequently both internationally and domestically, he exercises (treadmill, biking, racquetball) regularly, is mindful of carb intake and the quality of carbs he does eat and his mental outlook is very easy going, non neurotic, which I think is a true blessing! He takes a low dose statin and metformin. He's not on this board and other than the general principle practices I just listed, he doesn't drill down on diet. He has two older sisters and one older brother. One of the sisters (just turned 80 yrs) is showing what I consider moderate cognitive impairment. This is my opinion based on what other family members have reported although her primary care doctor says she's just fine! (So frustrated with much of the medical community's approach to alzheimers/CI, but that's a story for a different day lol). I wish VERY MUCH that I knew the apoe status of these two aunts and uncle. The other aunt/sister is very sharp and bright and I communicate with her frequently on Facebook. She is 82 years old. The uncle is ok, I believe, as I've heard nothing to indicate otherwise.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Welcome Grommet. It’s nice (?) to see a couple with more 4s than my husband and me. I’m a 4/4 and my husband, GeorgeN (a frequent poster) is a 3/4 who had a mother with dementia. Keep up the good work with the blood work and keeping active. We are also an active couple who have always maintained strategies for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, yet learning our APOe status changed our emphasis on many things. We intend to be 4s who buck the genetic odds. This site is great for learning where to direct your energies. Glad to have you aboard.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4