Any basics you can help with?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Any basics you can help with?

Post by JJ 007 »

Hi guys

I only just found out that I have the APOE 4 gene (E3/E4) as well as quite a few other risk genes (Promethease) gives me a link to 126 different Alzhiemers genes, including TOMM40 etc. 3 good ones, decreasing risk by 10% each and the rest either bad or grey. (3 others that say X2 risk for AD).
So keen to try and overcome with lifestyle as much as possible.

Can anyone tell me a few basic foods which are good for you, to get started with while I spend time going through all of the forums and research etc?

So far I think DHA is good, but only if you have lots of antioxidants (like berries)
HDL increase is good. (So is that olive oil/fish if so which kind) is canned tuna good?

So far I think walnuts, kiwi, salmon...
Are there any others?

So omega 3 is good and omega 6 is bad, is that right? (But 3 is good only with berries).
Also, is sugar more important then, than these things? So don't go mad on the berries?

Thanks so much :)
JJ
marthaNH
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Any basics you can help with?

Post by marthaNH »

Welcome, JJ. Don't be overwhelmed. There's a lot to absorb and it's ok to go slow. There is a Newcomer's Forum with a post by the very wise and knowledgeable Stavia that you should read to start. As soon as I post this, I'll go back and find the link to it and update this post.

But to answer your specific questions -- it all depends on your personal situation, but yes, berries are good, salmon is good, sugar is something you want to keep your distance from, but berries are about as safe a "sweet" as there is. I eat a few walnuts almost every day, also almonds and hazelnuts. Lots of vegetables, especially the leafy green ones. Yes to the olive oil -- get the best, freshest you can.

You can start exercising right away, because that's going to be a big part of your future. Whatever you can safely do now, start doing moderately but consistently and if you don't mind my saying so, with joy! The evidence for the benefits to our group is very strong.

Stavia's introduction will help you figure out how to evaluate where you are and where to put your foot next.

My own personal suggestion, based on my own experience, is to really listen to Stavia until you have a good understanding of her advice and how to get from A to B with any testing you might want to undertake. I have seen people become distracted by a lot of googling in the early stages. I did that, too, and the more I learned, the wiser it seemed to first check and see what she thinks. She has just gone on a vacation which will take her out of the loop for a few weeks, but there are a lot of people here to answer questions in the meantime.

Good luck and welcome.

[Edited to add -- there it is! Click on the "board index" link, look just below the window full of "recent messages" and there is Newcomer's Forum. Click and read. Feel free to post more questions here. Others will arrive.]
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

JJ.... yup baby steps is the way to go, I am newer here and you kind of learn as you go! Do what Martha said, the new comer thread is a great place to start. I can say that as a 4/4, my health is drastically improved with diet and lifestyle changes (lost 16lbs in my first 2 weeks and I am now at optimal BMI... likely organ fat and because of IR). Your mileage may vary... but don't quit and just keep going I guarantee you will get better!
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Welcome JJ! There's a lot to absorb all at once. Here's a link to the thread that Martha described. It was written by one of our moderators, a 4/4 physician. IMHO, it's the best & most comprehensive guide for ApoE4 carriers ever put together. Take your time absorbing the information and feel free to ask questions along the way.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Hi JJ. Make sure you come back with your questions as you dive into Stavia's excellent intro!
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JJ 007 »

Thank you so much guys. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your replies :)
I'm going to read this today and see where it takes me.

What a great forum this is.
JJ
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Hi JJ. In Cuba on dodgy wifi. Start with baby steps and cement in each layer of your foundation strategies before you start confusing yourself with minutiae.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Welcome JJ. Here is the direct link to Stavia's great primer: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418
Tincup
E3,E4
JJ 007
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JJ 007 »

I've started looking through the info and WOW it's fantastic,
I"m so grateful. I had no idea that we could have so much control over it.
It gives me hope and something to work on.

It makes sense. Do you think that it's the gene that causes the low HDL / high LDL and therefore the LDL causes the illness, so that if we basically manually adjust those levels, we can overcome it?

Before reading the intro I didn't realise sugar had such a big effect.
So glad I saw that, as I'd been gorging myself on grape juice thinking it was going to help, while probably sending my sugar throug the roof lol

I saw an article recently about caffeine being protective, could that really be true? I'll remember to copy the URL next time, sorry I don't have it.
My downfalls are coffee, chocolate and wine!! Lol
Are those all no no's?

It may be in the intro but so far I am only at the sleep section :)
I'm going through making myself notes, summarising it.

Thanks again,
JJ
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

It makes sense. Do you think that it's the gene that causes the low HDL / high LDL and therefore the LDL causes the illness, so that if we basically manually adjust those levels, we can overcome it?
I wish. That might be a little too simplistic. the relationship between cholesterol and AD is pretty weak. We do have evidence that high HDL can be beneficial, but the association between LDL itself and AD is mixed. We encourage members to get advanced lipid testing because high LDL can go hand-in-hand with low LDL-P and ApoB which is thought to be cardio-protective. The strongest association in terms of risk is found with glycemic markers: A1c, fasting glucose and insulin. Those are great biomarkers to begin tweaking. And you're so right; sugar is the enemy. Coffee is good (3-4 cups a day,) chocolate is great as a treat (the darker the better,) and wine is probably a no-no (as it's a neurotoxin.) There's so much to absorb. Take your time and keep asking questions.