Janelle's Intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Gina99
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Janelle's Intro

Post by Gina99 »

Welcome Janelle. as the saying goes, if I had a dollar for every time a doctor frustrated me... I would be a millionaire. i too am trying to figure the eating thing out. Balanced diet, what that means to e 3/4 and e4/4. I think the veggie juice is one of the single most healthy changes I have done. I wished I had not stopped when I was your age but it is a ton of work. So if you have any tips on the juicing i would love to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Janelle
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Janelle's Intro

Post by Janelle »

On Juicing...

I use an Omega 8003 juicer which I love because it's really easy to clean. I can take it apart and everything rinses off. It only has a tiny screen I have to clean with a toothbrush. I just rinse it immediately after I juice which takes 2 minutes and throw everything in the dishwasher once a week. It does leafy stuff really well and with the slow auger makes awesome tasting juice.

Also, have a bunch of these containers which are awesome:

I can keep leafy stuff crisp for several weeks. My cilantro lasts about a month in one of these. We go through a ton of vegetables and I hate it when stuff goes bad. And can be a lot of work to go shopping everyday.

On recipes, I found that if you balance sweet, sour, bitter almost anything will work. So I make something different everyday, but they always taste great. I can use up whatever is in my fridge if I just keep them balanced. :)

My big bin I fill with greens of some type and keep them washed and ready to go. Whatever I have I shove into the same container, it's just the greens bin. I get a couple different greens every week and rotate, but keep cabbage around too.

The smaller bin I use for herbs. I have mint, basil, cilantro, green onions, and sage in my bin now. I fill up my herb bin from my garden on the weekend so they are washed and ready when I need them. I use a lot of ginger too so I keep a pre-cut up thing of ginger in my fridge stored in vodka. I like making chai from scratch too.

Then I have seasonal berries in a bin. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries whatever is around and looking good.

So my routine is to grab my bins and do 1/2 bunch of greens, a handful or 2 of fruit, half lemon or lime, and an herb, then sweeten a bit with apple juice. Since I'm allergic to apples but can tolerate them cooked, I use bottled apple juice (cooked) as a sweetener and emulsifier for the juice. Strawberry basil, blueberry sage, and ginger mint are some of favorites.

The creative part of throwing new things together and seeing what happens makes it fun. Once I learned how to make it taste good no matter what I tried, it was a lot easier to experiment. :)