Could use your expertise, advice, comments...

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Could use your expertise, advice, comments...

Post by circular »

Thx4thegenes, I see your third page is the NMR from LabCorps. What lab are your first two pages from? I note that the first page shows total cholesteral, triglycerides and HDL cholesterol by CDC method, where the NMR is of course NMR. I'm just wondering if the first and second page are a different lab for the biomarker targets and ranges spreadsheet?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi Circular, I have no idea and dealing with my doctor and staff recently regarding my labs has been challenging to say the least. I can only speculate that the labs were performed at my local hospital and where other specialty testing was needed, I see they used Mayo Clinic. Oye! Sorry I couldn't be of much help.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi All!

Thank you so much for your help as my 3 month follow up lab results have improved! I was taking a higher than usual dosage of B-Complex using Integrative Therapeutics Active B-Complex.

Vit. B12 was 345, now 520 (180-914)
Vit. B2 was 2, now 5 (1-19)
Vit. B6 Pyridoxal 5-Phospate was 19, now 99 (too high) (5-50)
Vit. B6 Pyridoxic Acid was 3, now 20 (3-30)
Homocysteine was 12, now 8 (hopefully will drop a little more to Dr. Bredesen's liking)
Vit. B1 was 32, now 73 (hopefully will continue to rise) (70-180)

Thx
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Congrats, Thx! Glad to see positive results.

I'll suggest a little TMG if you want to drive homocysteine a bit more, especially if you have BHMT variants. I got stuck at 8 for many months until I added TMG. Now down to 6.1.
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi Susan,

Thank you for your kind response! I am heterozygous for the three BHMT variants according to the Genetic Genie report. If I recall reading in one of the threads that Life Extension TMG 500mg was recommended. I think I'll order some today!

Thx
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Impressive reduction in your homocysteine Thx, congrats!!
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Hi All!

I have been a scaredy cat lately and didn't want to get my six month follow up labs in December due to the holidays, etc. but I finally did them this month. Unfortunately, despite my efforts, there has been no change. I cut saturated fats down by having beef once per week, pork, about once a month, not much dairy to speak of, maybe a sprinkling of parmesan on minestrone, no butter, etc. I've been eating more chicken and getting tired of it and have been incorporating more vegetarian meals. I'm eating avocados, avocado oil, some nuts, EVOO, fish and fish oil. I also exercise.

I've been reading about the APOA1 and APOB ratio that Juliegee posted and even though my ApoB is High at 122, the APOA1 is also high at 189 with a ratio of .06. That's good right? I read somewhere that a normal range for ApoB is 40-125mg/dl, so it's not too bad right? Lp-PLA2 is good as well? I'm still concerned about that darn Lp(a) results. My doc said it was good so I'm confused about that. I will be seeing her in March to go over all of this. Again, confusion about which test was performed. So frustrating. If it was a standard blood test than yes, it was well within it's limits of less than 30mg/dl, but if it was the VAP test, then it was high over the <10mg/dl.

I have other tests that I have not received the results as yet. I believe it was oxidized LDL. The hospital lab was in a tizzy with all of my tests and didn't know how to code them. I was there for 2 hours while they tried to figure it all out. New to them. Isn't that sad?

Any thoughts, I'd appreciate. Thank you so much for taking the time to look over the results. I will tweak my diet even further I suppose and keep beef as a special occasion even though the portions were small to begin with and will add more veg based foods even though it'll be legume related. Today was the first time in years that I had steel cut oats for breakfast with some nuts, almond milk, chia seeds and a bowl of mixed berries instead of the usual eggs. It was tasty and hopefully it doesn't upset my IR, glucose levels and triglycerides. Need to find a nice balance and sweet spot.

Enjoy your day! : )

Thx

Results
Test
Date
Test Result H/L Range Note
Laboratory test finding
02/14/2017
Miscellaneous Test See Comment 1
Lipoprotein Metabolism Profile
02/14/2017
Total Cholesterol CDC 243 mg/dL 2
Triglycerides CDC 63 mg/dL 3
LDL Cholesterol 139 mg/dL 4
LDL Triglycerides 36 mg/dL <=50
Apolipoprotein B 122 mg/dL 5
HDL Cholesterol CDC 72 mg/dL >=50
VLDL Cholesterol 8 mg/dL <30
VLDL Triglycerides 9 mg/dL <120
Beta VLDL Cholesterol Not Detected mg/dL <15
Beta VLDL Triglycerides Not Detected mg/dL <15
Chylomicrons Cholesterol Not Detected mg/dL 6
Chylomicrons Triglycerides Not Detected mg/dL 7
Lp(a) Cholesterol 24 mg/dL <3 8
Lipoprotein X (LpX) Not detected 9
Lipoprotein Interpretation See Comment 10
Laboratory test finding
02/14/2017
Miscellaneous Test See Comment 11
2/2

Test Result Flag Unit RefValue ------------------------------------------------------------ Apolipoprotein A1 and B, P
Apolipoprotein A1, P 189 mg/dL >=140
Apolipoprotein B, P 122 H mg/dL -------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Desirable: <90
Above Desirable: 90-99
Borderline high: 100-119
High: 120-139
Very high: > or = 140
Apolipoprotein B/A1 ratio 0.6
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Lower Risk: <0.6
Average Risk: 0.6-0.8
Higher Risk: >0.8
Test Performed by:
Mayo Clinic Laboratories - Rochester Main Campus
200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905
Laboratory Director: William G. Morice, II, M.D., Ph.D.
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Desirable: < 200
Borderline high: 200 - 239
High: > or = 240
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Normal: <150
Borderline high: 150-199
High: 200-499
Very high: > or =500
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Desirable: <100
Above Desirable: 100-129
Borderline high: 130-159
High: 160-189
Very high: > or =190
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Desirable: <90
Above Desirable: 90-99
Borderline high: 100-119
High: 120-139
Very high: > or = 140
-------------------REFERENCE VALUE-------------------------- Undetectable
Increased Lipoprotein (a) cholesterol. Increased Lp(a) cholesterol has been associated with increased risk for the development of atherothrombotic disease. Evidence suggests that aggressive LDL reduction is beneficial in patients
with increased Lp(a). Niacin may lower Lp(a)by up to 25-30%, and niacin has been established as beneficial for CHD prevention, though not specifically because of Lp(a) lowering. Niacin tolerability as well as potential adverse effects on glucose and insulin sensitivity should be considered when selecting candidates for niacin therapy.
RESULT: Profile does not meet criteria for a Fredrickson phenotype. Test Performed by:
Mayo Clinic Laboratories - Rochester Main Campus
200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905
Laboratory Director: William G. Morice, II, M.D., Ph.D.
Test Result Flag Unit RefValue ------------------------------------------------------------ Lp-PLA2 Activity, S 155 nmol/min/mL <=228
Test Performed by:
Mayo Clinic Laboratories - Rochester Main Campus 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905 Laboratory Director: William G. Morice, II, M.D., Ph.D.
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Thx4thegenes wrote:I've been reading about the APOA1 and APOB ratio that Juliegee posted and even though my ApoB is High at 122, the APOA1 is also high at 189 with a ratio of .06. That's good right? I read somewhere that a normal range for ApoB is 40-125mg/dl, so it's not too bad right? Lp-PLA2 is good as well? I'm still concerned about that darn Lp(a) results.
Seeing a red/high Apo B reading is disconcerting (it was to me), but in our recent consult with Dr Gundry (blood taken in Jan, consult early Feb 2017), he dismissed that “raw” reading and emphasized the Apo A to Apo B ratio. He told us that Apo A-1 is a particle of good cholesterol and Apo B is another way of tracking bad LDL, but if the ratio is under .6, that’s a wonderful thing. You're close.

You want a HDL:TG ratio where your HDL is greater than your Triglycerides. Your HDL (72) to TG (63) ratio is good.

According to my test results (Singulex lab) LP(a) <30 is in good range, but some labs have different ranges.

Lastly, about Lp-PLA2. What Dr Gundry told us during our recent consult was that back in May of last year, the company who invented the PLAC test, the Lp-PLA2 test, suddenly declared bankruptcy. He said a bunch of companies went scrambling around to make their own test. As soon as all these guys did this, he noticed that their tests were wildly higher than what they’d been in the past. He basically told us to not read too much in our results until he feels there’s greater stability accuracy with the test.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Thx4thegenes
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thx4thegenes »

Thank you TheresaB for your response and information. Perhaps I'm not as bad as I thought and can breathe a little, but can definitely do some more tweaking. I thought I read somewhere, probably on this site, about the Lp-PLA2 company had gone bankrupt. No wonder my lab office seemed clueless about most of the tests that were ordered.