E3/E4 female, is there a link to lipedema?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
roguehearts
Contributor
Contributor

E3/E4 female, is there a link to lipedema?

Post by roguehearts »

Hi all, I did a search but couldn't find any info. How many females here suffer from lipedema, a disorder characterized by large legs (not to be confused with lymphedema)? I have a thin trunk but very large thighs and my arms are growing with age. That's where all my fat seems to end up. I have read E4 uptakes fat easily from the intestine but the body does not process it so well, so I wonder if the excess fat in my bloodstream gets deposited in my legs because of my E4 status.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: E3/E4 female, is there a link to lipedema?

Post by Stavia »

Hi Rogue. I can't see any obvious metabolic reason why a single E4 allele or even two would result in lipidema (also spelled lipidoema). This condition is a disorder of fatty tissue and lymphatic tissue which appears to be female sex hormone dependent.
Apoe4 does not cause excess fat (if you mean triglycerides because fat cells are storage of triglycerides) in the blood. Apoe4 is a disorder of cholesterol transport. Cholesterol is not a triglyceride.
For more detail on all this see my primer in the Newcomers Forum
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

I'm also an E/3,E4 female with the exact opposite body type: thin limbs, but whenever I gain weight it goes straight to my trunk. Not fun either! :(
roguehearts
Contributor
Contributor

Post by roguehearts »

Thanks for the responses! :)
ACK025
New User
New User

Post by ACK025 »

Thanks for the question @Roguehearts. And well-explained answer @Stavia.

@Roguehearts - I am E4/E4. I have hypermobility-type Ehlers-Danlos (hEDS). Both lymphedema and lipedema are associated with hEDS . I just began OT for edema of unknown origin - doctor and I both hoping OT treatment will point to the answer at root of the lower body edema. I was wondering tonight if APOE4 had any play in it. So appreciate this post and answers being here.
Lisa G
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lisa G »

ACK025 wrote:Thanks for the question @Roguehearts. And well-explained answer @Stavia.

@Roguehearts - I am E4/E4. I have hypermobility-type Ehlers-Danlos (hEDS). Both lymphedema and lipedema are associated with hEDS . I just began OT for edema of unknown origin - doctor and I both hoping OT treatment will point to the answer at root of the lower body edema. I was wondering tonight if APOE4 had any play in it. So appreciate this post and answers being here.
Hello ACK025. Thanks for chiming in on this issue. I see you are using the "@" to attempt to inform others of your responses to their posts. Unfortunately, this forum is not like Twitter where the "@" symbol notifies that person about your post. Our Word Press forum is a little less intuitive! Here's a guide to write posts that will be seen by the persons for which you intend! For example, here is a quote of RogueHearts. You'll definitely get more responses if you do the "quoting!"
Hope it helps.
Lisa H. Gerardi, MA
National Board Certified - Health & Wellness Coach
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
Integrative Nutrition Certified Coach