Mercury Levels: What if any are acceptable?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Mercury Levels: What if any are acceptable?

Post by Stavia »

.....and Australia and New Zealand. Not commonly used but is sometimes if biphosphonates are contraindicated. I think there is data showing fracture rate reduction.
hello123
Contributor
Contributor

Acceptable Mercury Levels?

Post by hello123 »

Hi,
I have a new MD doctor who is IFM certified. She knows of my 3/4 status and my that my mother died of Alzheimers at age 68. I brought The End of Alzheimer's book with me on my first visit. She was not aware of it and to me, she didn't seem particularly interested or curious to learn more about it. But, she did order a bunch lab work...CardioMetabolic Tests and OmegaCheck report from SpectraCell Laboratories and One Day Hormone check and NutrEval from Genova Diagnostics. The NutrEval was incomplete, as some of the blood tubes did not arrive to the lab at the proper temperature. I'm scheduled for a redo.

I need help interpreting all of this, but I first want to focus on my Mercury level because it has me a little freaked out. The reference range on the report is <=4.35 msg/L. I'm at 19.52. The report included a note saying that the Mercury results were confirmed by repeat analysis. After perusing the internet, I found that acceptable ranges differ. The doctor said she is not a fan of chelation therapy, one could get rid of the mercury, but it could take a very long time. She ordered some pills for me called Detox Pure Pack - various pills in a packet to take for one or two months and she handed me a a one page Detox Food plan. Anything else I need to know?

Thank you!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

I was just tested, and my mercury level came in at 1.6 ug/L; no distinction between organic/inorganic. Given I still have a number of amalgam fillings (gradually being replaced) and have eaten enough canned tuna for 3 lifetimes :? it was a better result than I expected!
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The new posts here brought to my attention a couple I missed a year ago about strontium and whether it helps bones or just puts us at risk of going too high in it. I probably need to get my strontium tested. As a menopausal woman with osteopenia, I've been following the protocol in this study:

Melatonin-micronutrients Osteopenia Treatment Study (MOTS): A translational study assessing melatonin, strontium (citrate), vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 (MK7) on bone density, bone marker turnover and health related quality of life in postmenopausal osteopenia
Strontium increased vertebral and femoral bone density and reduced fracture in both postmenopausal osteopenic and osteoporotic women [13, 14] ...

13. Reginster J‐Y, Seeman E, De Vernejoul MC, Adami S, Compston J, Phenekos C, Devogelaer J‐P, Curiel MD, Sawicki A, Goemaere S, Sorensen OH, Felsenberg D, Meunier PJ. Strontium ranelate reduces the risk of nonvertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: Treatment of Peripheral Osteoporosis (TROPOS) study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90:2816–22. doi: 10.1210/jc.2004‐1774

14. Meunier PJ, Roux C, Seeman E, Ortolani S, Badurski JE, Spector TD, Cannata J, Balogh A, Lemmel E‐M, Pors‐ Nielsen S, Rizzoli R, Genant HK, Reginster JY. The effects of strontium ranelate on the risk of vertebral fracture in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med. 2004; 350:459–68. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa022436
They used a different form of strontium in the formula studied in the MOTS trial above, taken at bedtime:

450 mg strontium (citrate)
60 mcg/ug K2
5 mg melatonin
2000 IU D3

This was a pretty small study, although it was randomized and controlled. I used to always take my vitamin D and K2 in the morning. I switched to night with my melatonin and the strontium I added. I suspect I should cut back the strontium or at least get it measured.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

circular wrote:The new posts here brought to my attention a couple I missed a year ago about strontium and whether it helps bones or just puts us at risk of going too high in it. I probably need to get my strontium tested. As a menopausal woman with osteopenia, I've been following the protocol in this study. ...........I suspect I should cut back the strontium or at least get it measured.
Hi circ, Recently, I’ve been listening to a lot of Quicksilver webinars. In one I heard last week, Chris Shade says they are seeing a lot of high Strontium levels turning up in tests, and attributes that to bone supplements. His opinion in that webinar was that strontium gives false sense of improved bone density because of how it binds to Ca, but does not provide real protection and could have deleterious neurological impact. FWIW, he divides heavy metals into two categories, those that can be detoxed with glutathione and those that need a chelating agent. (His Deluxe Detox Quebec uses EDTA). He has strontium in the second category, as are the metals I have at highest levels, lead and cadmium.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Thanks floramaria, this has been the topic of the week for me. I’ve been reading the same concepts. So far I can’t find a good, safe solution for osteopenia other than estrogen patch, but not sure if it’s enough? I do take a rather low amount of strontium compared to research levels, but probably too high above physiological levels. I’m really rethinking this but want a good bone option.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

The chelation part is helpful, Maybe now I’ll start trying to get rid of it? :lol: