Janelle's Lipid Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Janelle's Lipid Results

Post by Welcomeaboard »

And there is more

The answers can only be found to the questions posed. So, if you want more answers ask more questions and watch as your rabbit hole expands and fills with more white rabbits. Release the hounds.
Janelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janelle »

Welcomeaboard wrote:Particularly vitamin a as it has been shown to promote cancer metastasis and depletion of vitamin D3 under over absorbtion. If you deplete the amount of vitamin d 3 in the cell then the tp53 anti cancer gene killer will not turn on and angiogenesis will occur. If you don't take sufficient vitamin k2 the vitamin d3 will not be directed to the bone and can instead calcify in the veins creating artherosclerosis. Zinc is necessary for mmp or matrix metalloproteinase proper regulation as well as the zinc immune system, which can all be screwed by over absorbtion of copper in regards to copper reduces zinc in the body. Then there is magnesium's good qualities as well as what it can do wrong.

The key is proper testing as it determines what is happening in your body not what is happening in some other n=1 body that requires different diets and supplementation due to the different genetics, conditions or diseases in each n=1 body.
I need a system by which I can learn about my own body. What indicators can I monitor to know if I am under/over absorbing vitamin A, D3, k2, zinc, copper, magnesium? Without feedback, I have no way of knowing whether anything I'm doing with diet/supplements are causing harm. With allergies, I had a cut and dry indicator -- hives. With this stuff, I don't know how to learn.

I've generally opted for whole foods over supplements and variety over eating one thing as I figure it's a decent way to hedge my bets against what is clearly a vast realm of uncertainty.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Just like there is a test for vitamin d3 there are tests for the others. Stavia ran a test on her copper and zinc and found out she was high in copper to zinc ratio and is working to improve that. Your Dr's probably will not want to order these tests without symptoms first appearing. However there are labs that you can pay out of pocket to have them tested if you desire to do so and have been posted on threads on here. Others on here may have tested for these or they know the lab name(s).
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Eating whole foods and variety is the best way to start. Vegans have to be supplement er's due to lack of meat eating. Then there is the issue of things in plants that have been discussed that may or can lead to detrimental health in some individuals, but that does not mean everyone should be on a paleo diet, though I have not read where the paleo dieters would state that the paleo diet is not for everyone or dr. Gundry stating his diet is not for everyone. To be fair they may have but I have not read about them extensively as many on here and they could possibly answer that better.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Afterall you could have the eat, drink, smoke anything genetics of the super aged and not have to worry. Since you have found positive results thru dietary change you appear to not have those genetics. Julie is right in telling you to get a glucose meter if you want to see if certain foods cause a spike in glucose and for how long. It may be better to avoid them then to tax your system repeatedly without knowledge of doing so, as as you age it may lead to disease that could be avoided, but you would have to read some more,
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Welcomeaboard »

What I have noticed on here is many have what I call an iron will power. It may be caused by disease states in their bodies or genetics or they just have an iron will. It also bears noting that an iron will may be necessary to discover the cause and then to implement and maintain the cure. If you see something that causes a detriment and something that causes an improvement it probably is easier to implement the iron will doctrine in your life.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Merouleau, what an excellent post. I'm already a Chris Masterjohn fan, but you've given me several new leads to follow up on... Thank you!
I need a system by which I can learn about my own body. What indicators can I monitor to know if I am under/over absorbing vitamin A, D3, k2, zinc, copper, magnesium? Without feedback, I have no way of knowing whether anything I'm doing with diet/supplements are causing harm.
Great point, Jannelle. Have you signed up for participation in the study with Dr. Bredesen? Even those not chosen to participate in the actual study will still have the opportunity to be followed by him...getting the feedback you're after. You're not too late to sign up. Feel free to ask questions about it; lots to grasp and the information is somewhat spread out on the site.
Janelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janelle »

Juliegee wrote:Have you signed up for participation in the study with Dr. Bredesen? Even those not chosen to participate in the actual study will still have the opportunity to be followed by him...getting the feedback you're after. You're not too late to sign up. Feel free to ask questions about it; lots to grasp and the information is somewhat spread out on the site.
I signed up. :) This looks really promising.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

Janelle wrote:I've become quite fond of raw sauerkraut, but have been buying it as opposed to making it. That was my secret ingredient to curing my allergies. ;) It looks like the amount of K2 content in the fermentation will depend a lot on the starter culture. Merouleau, do you use a starter at home or just do wild fermentation?
Janelle, I do wild fermentation. I love the elegance of the recipe - cabbage + salt + time. I do use organic cabbage and unprocessed salt. One pitfall - salt weights can vary a lot with volume measures (e.g. tablespoons), so I use my kitchen scale to standardize. I weigh the cabbage, multiply by 0.02, and add that much salt. I ferment in canning jars and use this "Vegetable Stomper" tool to press the cabbage:

I did a quick search on "sauerkraut starter vitamin k2" and didn't find anything that was credible - just some hearsay from Mercola and various bloggers echoing him. I only spent a few minutes though and would be interested in reading something substantial on the topic if anyone knows more.
Janelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janelle »

Well I am super excited! I think I figured it out!

I have been dealing with heart arrhythmia issues that seem to go away within 30 min after drinking coconut water. It's one of the main things that's been keeping me up at night, and I was happy when I found a way to make my heart beat normally. While I found a way to sleep, I've also been spiking my blood sugar every night before bed!!

I don't know why that didn't dawn on me before... it was like when I thought about what I ate during the day, I didn't even think about it!

Other things I found out with my handy glucose meter:

Corn, beans, and honey in relatively small quantities don't bother me (my 1hr is 90-120 after a meal)
White flour in even small amounts seems to spike my blood sugar (same tacos swap corn for flour tortillas and my 1h BG is 160. Wow!

A lot of you guys gave me flack about juicing because it spikes blood sugar -- 110 on empty stomach, if I drink juice with my breakfast < 100.

Still need to test rice and sweet potatoes and my favorite fruits. :)

If I eliminate all my BG spikes in my diet, how long should I go before I retest? I'm hopeful this will make a big difference. Thanks everyone for the help!!

Janelle