Janelle's Lipid Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Welcomeaboard
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Janelle's Lipid Results

Post by Welcomeaboard »

Congratulations, another happy customer at apoe4.info. (an internet site), where we don't sell anything. I am sure they will respond in time to your questions Janelle.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Good for you, Janelle. Figuring out which foods cause glucose spikes is an important part of addressing/avoiding insulin resistance. We've seen that members here have huge differences in their ability to tolerate carbs.

Juicing typically causes a spike, especially if pulp is extracted; but I wonder if newer techniques (like the NutriBullet) that keep pulp contained slow that spike? Regardless, keep testing and refining your diet. Testing one hour after meals is good, but there is also value in doing a two hour test. Chris Kresser's series When your "normal" blood sugar isn't normal may be helpful:

http://chriskresser.com/when-your-norma ... mal-part-1
http://chriskresser.com/when-your-“norm ... mal-part-2
Janelle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Janelle »

I did some 2 hours and even 3 hours to see if I was going back to baseline. Since my glucose seemed to be dropping fine, I've only been doing 2 hours when my 1h was over 120.

I'm thinking my juice not spiking too bad might be just that it's mostly vegetables? I'm juicing greens, bell pepper, cucumber, herbs, and lemon primarily, then add a splash of apple juice for taste. It definitely spikes less without the apple juice, but since I was still under 120, I opted to make it taste a little better.

After hearing about juicing curing cancer and supplements causing so many problems, I thought I would try to juicing as a replacement to supplements? I still just eat vegetables too, but seemed like a good idea. After seeing my perspectives changing on what I thought was 'healthy' -- I don't know what makes sense anymore.

Today I learned that oatmeal is very very bad (spike of 170 even mixed with chia/hemp seeds/walnuts) -- I had been eating oatmeal nearly every morning too.

I looked up the NutriBullet -- amazing seeing all the fiber liquified like that. One of the main reasons I got a auger juicer was the speed of the blades on a centrifugal juicer would oxidize the juice. No idea how much of a difference it makes with health benefits, but the difference in taste is definitely noticeable. Seems like the NutriBullet would have a significant oxidizing effect?
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

Janelle wrote:If I eliminate all my BG spikes in my diet, how long should I go before I retest? I'm hopeful this will make a big difference. Thanks everyone for the help!!
Lipids can move dramatically in 30 days. Most particles circulate for only a couple of days.

Your body will take years to remodel though, and slight changes will continue for a long, long time.
Janelle wrote:Seems like the NutriBullet would have a significant oxidizing effect?
Nah. nutin to worry about.

What you are doing is the most important thing you can do, I so happy for you. I have noticed beans tend to show up more in a 2 hour postprandial while things like orange juice peak at 45 minutes.

If you add a bunch of fat to the meal (NOT RECOMMENDED!) then the peak will be lower but it won't come down as quickly. (AUC is about the same).

I am transitioning to a higher carb diet so I've been adding carbohydrate back into the menu. This morning I added (to my breakfast salad) 110 grams of black beans and I drank 100 grams of fresh squeezed orange juice. 1 hr pp=101 and 2 hr pp=105 - YAY! I'll double the orange juice tomorrow...
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Lipids can move dramatically in 30 days.
I can move mine in much less than a day...
Tincup
E3,E4
Ski
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Ski »

I can dramatically and I mean dramatically move mine in 7 days with dietary changes.