new e3/e4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: new e3/e4

Post by MAC »

Re Dr. Bredesen lifestyle/supplements protocol:

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/memor ... first-time

Is there a general age trigger for this (or similar type pro-cognitive lifestyle protocol)? That is, should one start early in life, in their 50's, later??

His 36 hole roof analogy re AD...yikes, that really broadens one's thinking re finding a positive outcome protocol.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

I'd linked this above https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... ipt#p28775, but there are many Bredesen links to talks & etc in it. My opinion is you are more likely to prevent than reverse, so earlier is better. Bredesen says there is a 10 year window, when subjective cognitive impairment occurs to implement. In your case, what age did your parents show signs, how fast did it progress?
Tincup
E3,E4
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Thank you GeorgeN.

My AD mom showed noticeable symptoms about 4 yrs ago, she is 76 now, disease progressed very quickly. I think she had subtle memory loss signs even before that, so perhaps 5+ yrs.

My PD dad showed symptoms about 6 yrs ago, he is 75 now, conventional progression I think based on neurologist comments.

I am 51.

Are there any online standardized baseline cognitive tests out there to establish current cognitive/memory status?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

MAC, I think what I see is that you are trying to find out the minimum threshold (strategies and age of application) of maximum risk reduction. Our group isn't going to have numbers and they aren't anywhere in science. A rough figure is 20 years of histological latent changes in brains before AD is apparent. I don't have a citation, you can find one by googling. I would advise consideration of lifestyle changes by 50s, however if one only learns of interventions in one's 60 or 70s, late is better than nothing IMO.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

We asked Bredesen about alcohol a month ago. He said that if it significantly reduced stress and aided sleep on an occasional basis then in his opinion the known negative effects would be reduced by the gain. This is pure alcohol (I asked about spirits). Wine has known benefits.
He also said if one wakes the next morning feeling cognitively dull then alcohol is clearly not a good idea for you
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

My parents are 75 and 76 and started showing some signs a few years ago, as well. My Mom suddenly even more just in the last few months. I am 48 and starting the protocol now. I think the sooner, the better. It is really a blessing that we found out now. I think we can dodge a bullet. I am thinking and feeling so much better since starting. I think we will be healthier as a result in many ways by doing this, even more than non ApoE4's, cognition and otherwise. I'm already noticing that in various ways. I am passing the info along to everyone who might benefit.
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

One thing I remember reading when I was researching my mom's condition, 80% of the damage has occurred when others start to notice. I think this is because before that people can compensate. Also that high IQ people can appear to decline faster. I recall this was theorized, because they could compensate longer. One other little nugget - people with highly developed social skills can mask a lot of deficits. My mother used this on me all the time. Early on, I lived 750 miles from her. I'd call and talk for an hour. I'd think everything was fine. Then I'd go visit for a week. I'd realize things are not OK. Even when she'd been in memory care for years, out of town friends/family would call and tell me what a great conversation they'd have. I noticed she still had quite a bit of "immediate processing power." Meaning she could respond appropriately to what someone had said and ask appropriate questions. It would all fall apart if you asked her a question.
Tincup
E3,E4
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Hey Nancy, that's great! Are you able to share your particular "protocol"?

GeorgeN, yes, I've always wondered how much damage is done to the brain before noticeable symptoms materialize. All the more to proactively implement prevention as early as possible! If I really think about it, I always suspected something was amiss with my mom well before truly noticeable symptoms began to show, that is, perhaps at least 10 yrs in advance of "diagnosis". My dad even claims my mom had memory issues when she was YOUNGER!

Remind me, is short term memory the 1st to go/tell tale signs of advancing AD? At 50 yrs of age, is it normal to have some loss of long term memory items? This is why I asked about some type of standardized cognitive/memory tests I can take to assess my current status on some type of medically recognized scale?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Mac, I don't know. When my mom was ~60, she earned a second undergraduate degree in Computer Science. She'd earned a degree in Theoretical Physics when 22. She told me she felt like she was so much slower than she was at 19. That being said, she typically set the curve in her computer classes - competing and significantly beating 19 year-olds. She started showing some issues in her late 70's. However this was confounded by chemo treatment for Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia (a non-Hodgkins lymphoma). Early on, she used to say she had "chemo brain." Who knows? She passed at 87 from a lung infection.
Tincup
E3,E4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Mac its not only memory. There are domains like processing speed, visuospatial, language, word generation etc. If you have concerns I would urge you to have a proper neuropsych assessment.