new e3/e4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: new e3/e4

Post by circular »

MAC wrote:I spend a LOT of time in the sun, so my thinking is I am not likely lacking.
Good you're getting tested anyway. Rhonda Patrick, in her 'How to Personalize Your Nutrition Based on Your Genes' .pdf includes CYP2R1 variants affecting vitamin D levels:
Vitamin D and C YP2R1
There are two common polymorphism in a the C YP2R1 gene (vitamin D 25­hydroxylase) that that converts vitamin D3 into 25­hydroxyvitamin D, the major circulating form of vitamin D that gets converted into the active steroid hormone. This polymorphism can lower the conversion of D3 into 25­hydroxyvitamin D and, thus, is associated with lower circulating levels of 25­OHD and this has been associated with reduced longevity and higher all­cause mortality. It is known that supplementing with 1,000 IU of vitamin D3 per day generally raises serum 25­hydroxy levels by 5ng/ml. This may not be the case for people with these polymorphisms. and may require higher vitamin D supplementation doses to achieve the same serum levels as individuals with out these polymorphisms. R eference 1, R eference 2, Reference 3
The following polymorphisms are associated with reduced CYP2R1 activity and low 25­hydroxyvitamin levels:
● rs10741657 (G;G)
● rs12794714 (A;A)
● rs2060793 (A;A)
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Thanks circular

I don't see CYPR21 in my PROMETHEASE report? So will have Vitamin D tested for.

Thanks for the great reference paper on "nutrigenomics".

After reading, I went back to take a closer look at my PROMETHEASE report (I think I was in E3/E4 shock and didn't pay attention to anything else!) and saw this finding:

MTHFR rs1801133 (T;T) Bad 3.0
- homozygous for C677T of MTHFR = 10-20% efficiency in processing folic acid = high homocysteine, low B12 and folate levels

So looks like my folate/MTHFR are "possibly" bad, need to most certainly check my homocysteine level.

I've already started B12 supplement, and she recommends two other B vitamins (folic acid and B6), also confirmed in this paper re high levels homocysteine and AD:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23690582

Quoting the abstract:

In an initial, randomized controlled study on elderly subjects with increased dementia risk (mild cognitive impairment according to 2004 Petersen criteria), we showed that high-dose B-vitamin treatment (folic acid 0.8 mg, vitamin B6 20 mg, vitamin B12 0.5 mg) slowed shrinkage of the whole brain volume over 2 y. Here, we go further by demonstrating that B-vitamin treatment reduces, by as much as seven fold, the cerebral atrophy in those gray matter (GM) regions specifically vulnerable to the AD process, including the medial temporal lobe. In the placebo group, higher homocysteine levels at baseline are associated with faster GM atrophy, but this deleterious effect is largely prevented by B-vitamin treatment. We additionally show that the beneficial effect of B vitamins is confined to participants with high homocysteine (above the median, 11 µmol/L).

Is their high conviction/taking of this B vitamin regiment in this forum?

I also read her APOE4 paper reference, very informative:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3001305/
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

Should I wait for the homocysteine bloodwork before starting full B vitamin regiment so I have a normal baseline? (in 2 weeks)
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I have always been happy when I had the patience to get a baseline on something. I feel better taking supplements I have good reason to think I actually need. I do take some for things I can't test for, which I see as a bit of a gamble. HCY is so easy to test, I'd get your baseline. It's also nice when we can see real progress: deficient or excess baseline > supplement > improvement in marker. We don't always know a supplement causes an improvement but with the 3 Bs and HCY there are good studies to back it up, at least that's my understanding. I've know conservative doctors to prescribe the trifecta for high HCY.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

MAC, MTHFR is important is many other ways than just homocysteine. Being homozygous on MTHFR, I'm guessing you might need methyl-folate (don't use folic acid - you can't convert it efficiently). B12 is the one to start with anyway, so you can stay on it for 2 weeks, see your results, then decide where to go next.

If you want to know more, go to the methylation wiki. https://wiki.apoe4.info/wiki/Methylation
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: new e3/e4

Post by Stavia »

MAC wrote:Should I wait for the homocysteine bloodwork before starting full B vitamin regiment so I have a normal baseline? (in 2 weeks)
I also like to have a baseline.