new e3/e4

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: new e3/e4

Post by MAC »

Thanks Stavia, I specifically referenced neurologists who treat dementia/AD, not general mainstream doctors.

Do they introduce this lifestyle concept to patients, or do they mainly deal with symptomatic/advancing AD patients where the mainstream thinking is "cannot reverse", just try to slow down?

Is it that the current medical system does NOT take AD prevention seriously at all today...only accepts you into the system once you have symptoms?

Could I even get an appt with a neurologist NOW if I tried...based purely on family history and E3/E4?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

I work with dementia patients every Friday in a shared care situation so I have had years of ongoing and wide exposure to neurologists and psycho-geriatricians. We deal with the whole spectrum from MCI to advanced AD. We have 200plus patients under our care at any one time.
Of course we introduce the general concepts as I referenced above but frankly nobody takes us seriously and nobody makes lifestyle changes.

I don't see why you can't see a private neurologist now. I'd be very interested in what he/she says. Remember you are representative of about 10 to 15% of the population as a male 3/4.
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

I am going to bring it up with my GP at my physical in a few weeks...want to be proactive, this forum has enlightened me.

I read so many articles about people NOT wanting to know their genetic predisposition/potential future disease symptoms. I wasn't sure at the beginning of this journey, but I said to myself that it's better to know the risk factors and attack and fight than just let fate play it's hand.
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

MAC you are using the word GP. Are you living in the UK?
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

CANADA
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: new e3/e4

Post by Stavia »

Stavia wrote:MAC you are using the word GP. Are you living in the UK?
Aha. I also live and work in a British based public health medical system. They are very slow to change and much less is available in terms of testing. We have other Canadian members. Please let us know how your GP consultation goes.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Stavia, your forget how extraordinarily special you are to be open to all of these epigenetic practices. In the US most (all?) neurologists would roll their eyes at the interventions we regularly undertake. IMO, this is an example of how far ahead our community is of mainstream medicine. The two shining exceptions would be Dr. Richard Isaacson in NYC who specializes in preventing AD in high risk patients and the few physicians who are actively employing Dr. Bredesen's protocol via MPI cognition, Muses Labs, etc. Have any of our Canadian friends found similar physicians? BTW, I though heterozygotes made up 25% of the population...am I wrong?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Thanks Julie. I was dividing up men and women because there is a gender aspect to risk (women's risk being higher than men's) and in some populations it hits 30% of all people.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Gotcha and figured as much ;).
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Mac,
You asked about the protocols those of us on this board are following and yesterday I posted a response to that with the regimen that my husband, GeorgeN, also a frequent poster to this board, and I follow.

Today I feel compelled to add a postscript. What we do is considered extreme, (the fasting lengths, the dietary restrictions) even by some of the diehards on this board. I should also add, we’ve worked up to the things we do. My husband has been ketogenic for 7 years and I used to be a vegan, so transitioning to our current diet was perhaps not as difficult as it would be for others. We also continue to tweak as we learn.

So if after you opened the attachment you said, “I can never do all of that!” Don’t be discouraged, just make progress. Additionally, consulting with Dr Gundry and getting our blood tested regularly where we see tangible, positive evidence that reinforces our dietary strategies, makes a big difference in sticking with the program.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4