Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Postby circular » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Lexapro in low doses helps some.

I’ve been meaning to Google whether essential oils might help in dementia management. Lavender comes to mind as a good relaxant. It would be interesting to just rub some mixed into a carrier oil onto her back, where she can’t get it on her hands and then in her eyes. Or diffuse a bit in her room just to see if it has any affect one way or the other. You could have her sniff it first to see if she even likes it. Look for a pure one, I react badly unless the oils are truly therapeutic grade: Aura Casia and EO are easy to find if you have a health food store. No need for multimarketing channels like DoTerra or Young Living.

You could also buy some oils and have her sniff them all from the bottle and watch her reactions. If depression underlies her anxiety it’s possible something more citrusy would help.
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.

NancyM
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NancyM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:03 pm

I'm no expert but this article lists a number of essential oils that may be beneficial, and the list seems pretty consistent on other sites.

https://www.alzheimers.net/10-10-14-ess ... -dementia/

chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby chrissyr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks all, I think I'll give the lavender a try!

Return to “Our Stories”