Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
prkboothe
New User
New User

Re: Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Post by prkboothe »

I am new to this site. I have a sister-in-law with the beginning symptoms of alzheimers, and since my husband and I are in our 70's, we naturally want to prevent any future occurrences, if possible. Question: This relative married a man who had Huntington's (a degenerative brain disorder), and unfortunately it has been inherited by some of her children, who are beginning to show symptoms. Is anyone familiar with whether the protocols recommended for dealing with Alzheimers can also be used to help with this disease?
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

prkboothe wrote:is anyone familiar with whether the protocols recommended for dealing with Alzheimers can also be used to help with this disease?
I did searches on Huntington's and Bredesen and Huntington's and Wahls (the MS doc who put her MS in remission through diet & lifestyle). In Terry Wahls' case, Huntington's was one of the illnesses she researched to put together her protocol. Seeing mitochondrial impairment as common in Alz D, Huntington's, Lou Gehrig's & MS.

This was one of the things that came up on the Bredesen search. it has a reference, which you can see the cite if you click on the link:
Research has revealed that even Huntington’s disease, the neurodegenerative disease that has been regarded as strictly genetically inherited, may be influenced in both its progression and severity by environmental and lifestyle factors.33
Source https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4898276/

Hence, I'd say it is a qualified yes, but don't know how strong the impact on the inherited illness would be.
Tincup
E3,E4
Sara Barthel
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sara Barthel »

prkboothe wrote:I am new to this site. I have a sister-in-law with the beginning symptoms of alzheimers, and since my husband and I are in our 70's, we naturally want to prevent any future occurrences, if possible. Question: This relative married a man who had Huntington's (a degenerative brain disorder), and unfortunately it has been inherited by some of her children, who are beginning to show symptoms. Is anyone familiar with whether the protocols recommended for dealing with Alzheimers can also be used to help with this disease?
A warm welcome to apoe4.info prkboothe! First of all, I just want to commend you for your curiosity to learn more about these diseases and for your determination to make nutrition and lifestyle changes - these are incredibly powerful and important steps! Many of us here are at a genetically increased risk of Alzheimer's or caring for loved ones who are, and I continue to be encouraged by both the support of this community and the up-to-date research it provides so I hope you will explore the site and engage in some of the ongoing conversations. With regards to Huntington's, I agree with tincup that many of the interventions you will find on this site related to improving neurological health, supporting mitochondrial function and minimizing oxidative damage would likely also improve the quality of life of someone with Huntington's. I am a support team intern and wanted to share a few useful links with you to help familiarize you with this site.

First is the How-to-guide, it will help you get the most out of the ApoE4.info website. It is created to help members navigate the site. This area explains how to use the quotes button so that the other member receives an email notification of your reply, how to search for topics, how to subscribe to topics of interest and more.

My favorite is the Primer, written by one of our member physicians, Stavia, who is ApoE4/4. It is great introduction to ApoE4, biochemistry, and possible prevention strategies in addition to exploring areas such as the science behind the ApoE4 gene and the lifestyle factors that impact its expression. It is a wealth of information - a great place to start and to come back to time and again!

Lastly our wiki Index offers a wealth of additional information and details the muti-factorial approach to taking control of your brain health. It is useful for searching specific topics of interest.

And, we would love to know more about you so I invite you to share your journey by creating a new topic in Our Stories. This is something that we encourage all new members to do so they get the opportunity to engage further on the site.

We are so glad you found us, and hope you enjoy your experience in the forum.

Sara Barthel