Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
NancyM
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Alzheimer's caregivers, guardians, and conservators

Post by NancyM »

I'm no expert but this article lists a number of essential oils that may be beneficial, and the list seems pretty consistent on other sites.

https://www.alzheimers.net/10-10-14-ess ... -dementia/
chrissyr
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by chrissyr »

Thanks all, I think I'll give the lavender a try!
KTW11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KTW11 »

I am new to this forum, but wonder if it is current since the posts I am seeing seem mostly from 2015-2017
mike
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by mike »

KTW11 wrote:I am new to this forum, but wonder if it is current since the posts I am seeing seem mostly from 2015-2017
yes, it is active. New posts all the time...
Sonoma Mike
4/4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

I am new to this forum, but wonder if it is current since the posts I am seeing seem mostly from 2015-2017
Welcome! On the top toolbar, you'll see a lightening bolt icon. Click on that for the most recent posts.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

KTW11 wrote:I am new to this forum, but wonder if it is current since the posts I am seeing seem mostly from 2015-2017
Hi KTW11;

The entry before yours in this topic is dated Jan 2019. If you go to the Forum page, the right most column shows "Last Post" for each Forum, with date of last entry; most of these are from 2019. If you select the lightning bolt icon in the toolbar on the main Forum page, you will see all Active Topics for all forums in order of last entry. You will see that we are very active and current!
Slacker
E4/E4
Nords
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Nords »

Yep, the topic is current although the events occurred from 2008-17. I wrote most of it while my father was approaching end-stage Alzheimer's.

He died in November 2017, so my life shifted from "Dad caregiving" to "estate settlement". That's not much to discuss on this forum but one day I'll write a post about it and link to it from this thread.

From the perspective of dementia and long-term care, I put my share of my Dad's life insurance (and our small inheritance) into a brokerage account under just my name. It's my personal self-insured long-term care fund.

My spouse asked me to make our (adult) daughter the "Transfer On Death" beneficiary of that account. I've also given our daughter a durable power of attorney over that account. This way if I end up in a coma or develop dementia, then our daughter can immediately withdraw funds from the account for my care without having to dip into her own assets.

I have to trust her (and I do!). More importantly, I'm not putting her into the same position that I was in when my Dad could no longer live independently and I couldn't access his funds.
Last edited by Nords on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement". Royalties go to military charities.
Co-author (with my daughter): "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation FI."
To contact me, please send a PM.
KTW11
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KTW11 »

Thank you for your quick reply
CoachMT
Contributor
Contributor

Post by CoachMT »

Welcome to the ApoE4.Info site KTW11! We’re so glad to have you as a member of this active community! Your love and devotion to your husband and extended family is an inspiration to us all! I can tell that your big heart, courage and curiosity must already be paving the way for more informed and healthful lifestyle choices for your children and grandchildren- your love shines through! As was shared, our genes are not destiny; we have the ability to turn them on and off and you are taking bold steps to educate yourself on the multitude of choices and options available.

I see you’ve already had a chance to share your story with the community and receive heart-felt responses from fellow members (NF52, Mike, and Nords) as well as helpful tips about navigating on the site from Julie, slacker, and others. As you are already seeing, this forum is a great place to share and receive support!

Fellow members have mentioned several resources available to you on the site and I wanted to provide you the links. If you haven’t already seen it, the primer is a great starting place to learn about the extensive resources available to you on the ApoE4.info site. It was authored by a member physician who carries two copies of the APOE-ε4 allele, is regularly updated and provides information on the science behind the APOE-ε4 allele, tips on diet and lifestyle choices, biomarkers to check, and prevention strategies. Additionally, you may also be interested in checking out Our Stories to learn about fellow community members who are embarking on this journey and to share more about your own journey caring for your husband.

Welcome and don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. Best, Mandy
-Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline (FMCA)
-Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
-National Board Certified- Health and Wellness Coach (NBC-HWC)
redryder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by redryder »

What do you think about the utility and feasibility of converting all available financial accounts to joint ownership? Please talk about the pros and cons of doing so. Thanks in advance.
Caregiver to 3/4 spouse w/MCI; following ReCoDe protocol as best we can (bofus)...