MarkES NMR Results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: MarkES NMR Results

Post by SusanJ »

Also wish they had written in the ratios.

I think they are saying just that. Other studies suggest stable enterotype over time, too. For example:

Linking Long-Term Dietary Patterns with Gut Microbial Enterotypes
Comparison of long-term and short-term dietary data showed that only the long-term diet was correlated with enterotype clustering in the cross-sectional study. In the interventional study, changes were significant and rapid, but the magnitude of the changes was modest and not sufficient to switch individuals between the enterotype clusters associated with protein/fat and carbohydrates. Thus, our data indicate that long-term diet is particularly strongly associated with enterotype partitioning.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3368382/

However, that's not the whole story:

The human gut microbiome: are we our enterotypes?
This study indicates the existence of a limited number of well‐balanced host–microbial symbiotic states in human faeces that presumably reflect the microbial composition in the large intestine. Perhaps it would have been wiser to call these ‘faecotypes’ than ‘enterotypes’, since it is well known that the microbial abundance and composition changes dramatically throughout the GIT. It remains to be seen whether such stable and universal microbial consortia are also found in the small intestine where the genera Streptococcus, Clostridium and Veillonella are dominant (Booijink etal., 2007; 2010a,b; van den Bogert etal., 2011).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3819005/

If you look at research on SIBO (just diving into this area), it really can wreak havoc downstream, so to speak.

In treating SIBO, I found one study that said:
SIBO is often misdiagnosed and generally underdiagnosed. Clinical symptoms might be non-specific (dyspepsia, bloating, abdominal discomfort). Nevertheless, SIBO can cause severe malabsorption, serious malnutrition and deficiency syndromes.
In several patients, it is necessary to exclude lactose from the diet, to reduce other simple sugars, to increase coverage of energy needs by fat and to administer MCT oils (medium-chain triacylglyceroles).
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2890937/

Does that kind of diet sound familiar? Maybe some of us do better on a more Paleo-type diet since we have SIBO problems (I was diagnosed with IBS a few years ago and know immediately if I add too much of certain types of carbs, primarily resistant starches). Maybe more of us have SIBO problems than we realize, and with more research we might better understand the impact of diet and microbiota "types" related to a healthy small intestine, too.

Would love to see more studies on effects of microbiome and diet on lipid profiles and inflammation markers. Now wouldn't that be useful!!! Throw in APOE and I'd be practically giddy. :geek:
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

THAT diet does sound familiar, Susan ;) FWIW, I'm giddy anytime ApoE4 is even acknowledged.

Mark, did you see this link that Susan had previously posted regarding Prevotella, how to raise, connection to TMAO? I think you'll be interested.

http://humanfoodproject.com/from-meat-t ... man-grill/
MarkES
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MarkES »

Juliegee wrote:Mark, did you see this link that Susan had previously posted regarding Prevotella, how to raise, connection to TMAO? I think you'll be interested.
http://humanfoodproject.com/from-meat-t ... man-grill/
I had seen the gut dysbiosis/TMAO connection discussed in various blogs, thanks for sharing the Leach link. It's pretty interesting and makes sense that gut health is important.

As of the time of my stool test, my Prevotella was low (good according to Leach). On the spectrum of starchy carbs, I currently tend to favor tubers more than grains, and grains with bran removed, rarely gluten. Leach references refined grains being okay wrt Prevotella - maybe something about the bran boosting Prevotella.

Chris Masterjohn suggests other possibilities (emphasis mine):

http://www.westonaprice.org/blogs/cmast ... m-to-tmao/
Chris Masterjohn wrote:Although the largest difference was seen between those with enterotypes 1 [Bacteroides] and 2 [Prevotella], TMAO levels were nevertheless 45 percent higher among the meat-eaters than among the vegans and vegetarians. There were also significant differences in specific strains of intestinal bacteria between the dietary groups that could hypothetically account for this difference.

While it is possible that intestinal flora accounts for the difference, it is disappointing that the authors did not consider other possibilities, such as differences in the activity of the enzyme that converts trimethylamine to TMAO. For example, vitamin B2 is the main cofactor for the enzyme, and vegans are three times as likely to be deficient in vitamin B2 as vegetarians and omnivores.
During my vegan experiment, cronometer shows B2 just barely at the recommended limit.
ε3/ε4
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Interesting, Mark. As Jeff previously said, we're just beginning to know what we don't know here :D Help me understand, you're not suggesting that a B2 deficiency is positive...are you? Or rather that the B2 deficiency among vegans may be what leads to lower TMAO?

Overall, would you recommend participating in the Gut Project? Did the information lead you to make any positive changes?
MarkES
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MarkES »

Juliegee wrote:Help me understand, you're not suggesting that a B2 deficiency is positive...are you? Or rather that the B2 deficiency among vegans may be what leads to lower TMAO?
It might imply there's a B2 upper limit.
Juliegee wrote:Overall, would you recommend participating in the Gut Project?
I'm not currently participating in the American Gut Project. My stool test was from Metametrix/Genova. From what I've read, I believe the American Gut Project test only includes bacteria and not yeast, parasites. Although I might consider joining American Gut for the cheaper cost ($99 vs $466) if I can assume that high good bacteria means low yeast.
Juliegee wrote:Did the information lead you to make any positive changes?
Well, it's identified high yeast which Kresser treats as a cause of high cholesterol. The tricky part is the DIY nature of treatment. I'm unable to convince MD's to treat, as these tests are outside their realm, and I don't have severe symptoms they recognize as reason to treat.
ε3/ε4