Doctor Lost's Intro

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Doctor Lost's Intro

Post by Doctor Lost »

My Life has been haunted by brain Disease. I was born in 1962, a large baby (11.5 lb) and rapidly developed hydrocephalus. They put a shunt in which fixed the blockage and allowed me to survive. I was a driven child and at age 8 my neurologist thew me out of his office at age 8, declaring me cured. I had a torkildsen shunt not the VA or VP shunt which are commonly used today.This wasn't exactly true, as I had an appalling short term memory and a mild cerebral palsy, but made due. Fortunately for me I haven't had any revisions which allowed my brain to heal and have a life. Well life went on and my mother's mother came down with dementia, which was called Alzheimer's. She went into a home when she was 70, so I guess it was late onset. She finally passed in 1993. Well I grew up and went to Cornell University, with a major in Biology and then graduate School at Michigan State University. I completed my Ph.D. in Biochemistry with a dissertation on protein protein interactions and mRNA splicing. I then moved to St. Louis and started to study gap junction proteins, the proteins tat allow for the propagation of electrical charge in the heart..This career was somewhat successful leading to a number of publication, but when the granting became tighter due to the Iraq war. Fortunately my wife has a good job so I have been dabbling in a number of areas I find interesting. Well during this time my mother had her long decline into AD which became evident in her early 60s. So I'm not sure if that is early onset or late onset. the last 10 years my mothers decline and my father's tribulation with cancer(5 different cancers) came to a conclusion with their passing in 2012. The resulting angst led me to submitting some DNA to 23 and me, well low and behold I got my mother's brain and my father.gut. On the AD side I'E3/4) with mutation in Presenilin 2CR1, SORL1 MAPT, TOMM40, ACE,DAPK1 and CHAT. On the symptoms side I still have a lousy short term memory, facial memory and but I'm not sure f that's gotten any worse with time ( but it certainly feels that way. my visits to a neurologist declared me non demented. Otherwise to stay relaxed I do Yoga and some biking 40-50 miles a week. I've been doing Lumosity for about a year and they say my brain is top notch, but I'm still concerned. I'm hoping to learn from you guys what you think is beneficial and what isn't in maintaining brain function..
Michael
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Doctor Lost's Intro

Post by Michael »

Thanks for joining us, Doctor. That's quite a life you've had. I hope you'll find this group helpful. I think we're lucky to have a PhD in Biochemistry among us and am looking forward to your thoughts as we go along our journey.
lol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lol »

Hi Dr. Lost,
First, I would like to thank you for:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... mer%27s%29
I love candy, but due to my high LDLs, have in the past shown perseverance in sticking to gummy bears, licorice, sour patch kids, etc... low fat, so okay?
No. After reading the article you posted, I am done with the sugar junk.
Your story is amazing. You have the smarts and you are using your smarts. Nothing beats hard work.
Looking forward to reading more of your posts.
xo
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

well, I've got mixed emotion on the sugar tie in. My father, who was surgeon, was pretty convinced about the sugar tie in, when he directly managed my mother's care for quite a while, until his health broke. I've gone to diet sodas, but will have a pretty hard time giving up my ice cream, my last remaining vice.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Wow, Dr. Lost, what a compelling story you have. I'm so sorry for the recent passing of BOTH of your parents; AD on one side and multiple cancers on the other. I totally understand why you participated in 23 and Me. You, personally, have already overcome some serious health issues (albeit as a youngster) and triumphed in a big way :) We are very blessed to have you hear. I've already found much of your input fascinating. Keep up the great work. I look forward to learning with you.
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

" I stiil have a lousy short term memory,.."

http://www.magtein.com/thescience.html

I suggest you might want to try it I take it but I have not tested myself but I feel it is good insurance, I suggested it sometime ago.

oh sugar will deplete your magnesium stores, so use xyitol for sweetener, ya have the occasional treat.
Gilgamesh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Gilgamesh »

Doctor Lost- Ditto on everything Julie wrote, and I strongly agree with Michael about how fortunate we are to have you here!

Your parents.... I'm so sad for you. I celebrated my 50th birthday with my parents recently -- just the three of us. They came over to Europe for three days. I realized at the end of the trip that, however much they raised me to be strong and independent -- and succeeded in that! -- I'm still very dependent on them, though in a healthy way, the way one is dependent on friends, best friends, in this case. I watched them as they walked towards their gate at the end of the trip and realized how lost (doctor or not!) I'd feel if -- I cannot bring myself to write "when" -- one of them dies. But both of them in the same year? They would be impossible for me to bear. Let us stay healthy, and keep those around us healthy, while we can.

GB
Doctor Lost
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Doctor Lost »

thanks for your kind thoughts. In both cases my parents had been so sick for so long it was almost a relief when they went. My mother's AD was so bad for so long it had been over 14 years since she actually recognized me. My Father had tried to take care of her, but she needed 24/7 care and has his 10 year long adventure with 6 different cancers stole his vitality she went into nursing care. That was 4 years before she died. My fathers last cancer went metastatic at the end of 2011. It was pretty quck after that. He was quite the guy. Here's his obituary

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/postga ... =156793609
SpunkyPup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SpunkyPup »

did you look into this supplement.

http://www.magtein.com/faqs.html

I would work on your methylation defects to

https://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis/