New E3/E4, terrible blood results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
sozdds
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New E3/E4, terrible blood results

Post by sozdds »

Just got my coronary CT results. My calcium score is 4.1, which puts me in the 30-40th percentile. I guess it doesn't change things much, but does make me feel a little better since I was prepared for worse. Thanks everyone for all your comments. I'm having bloods again in Dec.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

sozdds wrote:Just got my coronary CT results. My calcium score is 4.1, which puts me in the 30-40th percentile. I guess it doesn't change things much, but does make me feel a little better since I was prepared for worse. Thanks everyone for all your comments. I'm having bloods again in Dec.

good to hear it is low.

I hate to be a downer but having a positive calcium score means that the disease process has started and it takes effort to reverse the inflammation. If no measures are taken the score can increase 20-30% a year as I have observed it happening in two other forums to the shock of people who thought they were safe with a low score. I think low visceral fat is a plus and those with problems were too heavy just an observation but don't take it as re assurance. I would also take a cartoid intimia ultra sound to see if it normal plaque accumulation for your age.
2400mg per day of aged garlic kyolic should reverse it but it can take 2 years to be effective. Dr Budoff has a recent study on it. I went to his clinic in Calif for both tests a few years ago, my CAC was zero but my cartoid was just normal so I'm trying to get the cartoid re tested.
Garlic can generate nitric oxide which may give you a headache but each one of us is different in our reactions due to genetic defects.

I just looked at your test results. Remember I am not a doctor but from my experience seeing similar cases I offer my opinion. I would be a lipid doctor or cardiologist and he is likely to suggest a statin and zietia after you show the doc the results.
If you still have BG levels that are high try some supplements from LifeExtension foundation lef.org one called Tri sugar shield the wife is using but these take time to work. Also 2-3g of fish oil EPA:DHA 2:1 will help reduce inflammation.

Good luck.
Nancy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Nancy »

Good news. You've got some great advice on this board to help keep it low. Keep up the good work!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Good news Soz. Its likely that you laid down your very small amount of calcium during the period of your insulin resistance some years ago. It's very good news.
If you continue as you are, and chose some of the suggestions given in the thread, you have a high chance of it not progressing. For extra reassurance you might want to consider repeating it in a few years.
On the latter subject - my hubby's cardiologist (his score is nearly 400) said that the margin of error in serial coronary calcium scans was large as the calcification was manually calculated ie someone draws around the calcium and then its measured. I need to clarify this. Anyone know? If not I will call th radiologists sometime.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

Stavia wrote:Good news Soz. Its likely that you laid down your very small amount of calcium during the period of your insulin resistance some years ago. It's very good news.
If you continue as you are, and chose some of the suggestions given in the thread, you have a high chance of it not progressing. For extra reassurance you might want to consider repeating it in a few years.
On the latter subject - my hubby's cardiologist (his score is nearly 400) said that the margin of error in serial coronary calcium scans was large as the calcification was manually calculated ie someone draws around the calcium and then its measured. I need to clarify this. Anyone know? If not I will call th radiologists sometime.

It is true for older equipment when the area under the curve I think needed to be manually calculated and sometimes there were errors but never say 50% off maybe 10-20% at the most. The newer scanning CT's take more slices, >64 so they are able to reconstruct the calcified area with greater accuracy. I would try to get at least a 64 slice machine and I hear there are 128slice machines just get the most modern machine and ask. When the score is high above 100 then taking it every 2nd year, the radiation dose in newer machines is much less, then the trend is important, keeping the growth rate below 15-20% is considered a partial success as regression is difficult and quite rare.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Soz, I would be very pleased with a score of 4 on the cusp of age 60. Just underscores your negative CV family history. What a relief for you.

Stavia, I'm wondering what percentage (i.e. what's large?) is associated with the calcium score's typical margin of error. A radiologist told me that carotid ultrasounds have a "very subjective" interpretation. This was certainly the case when two different radiologist varied as to whether I had plaque.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

sozdds wrote:Thanks for the responses so far. When I asked the lipidologist about CoQ10 he said it was very controversial. He recommended not taking it unless side effects develop. However he also said it was ok if I was more comfortable taking it. No fish oil rec yet. I've been eating salmon once/wk and am going to add another time/wk. Also plan to add sardines 2x wk. Is hcy homocysteine? I have avocado almost daily, eat lots of nuts, and evoo. But for awhile I had been eating lots of butter and sour cream. Also was eating the fattiest hambuger with all the drippings for 2 weeks while trying ZC, mostly hamburger, eggs, and cheese. I now believe that was a big mistake for me. Have now added back 20-50 g carbs/day.
"When I asked the lipidologist about CoQ10 he said it was very controversial."

total BS! Statins deplete Coq10 take at least 200mg/day maybe more you can test blood levels. so much for the doc he is out dated..
I just fired one of my doc's, he deserved it, causing me no end of problems. I'm not anti doc but they can do more damage than good if you blindly follow some of their ideas. Get the pill but don't swallow it right away until you get it ME(YOU) approved
http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity ... ic/784.cfm

It is likely you are a hyper absorber of plant sterols so go easy on the evoo and avocados. You can get tested for that too.

Lower carb can be consider <200g day.

You might also have hyper trigylcerdemia so a statin might be required just get the one that is best suited to you, maybe crestor, or roustostatin, they are 2 types one is fat soluble the other water you might need to research them, I can't help much as I don't need one so I never researched it.
The fish oil recommendation for inflammation is based on Dr Barry Sears writings he has a few books the latest would help.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

I would try to get at least a 64 slice machine and I hear there are 128slice machines just get the most modern machine and ask.
Good point, the same is likely with more refined ultrasound machines for CIMT measurements.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Katie, a carotid intimal scan is very user dependent. The scanning person manually puts little crosses on the intima and the machine calculates the distance between the crosses.
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

I hate to sound like an alarmist but it rare that we see such a high LDL-P# and one has to consider the whole picture as I know of a person who claims he has a artery that is 99% blocked and jogs regularly and is one of the fortunate persons who's heart has set up collateral's to bypass the blocked artery and has survived to tell about it. So what I'm saying is you really need to take action and I found this well written and balanced insight into the problem.

"I asked Dr. Thomas Dayspring to review my most recent NMR report. He feels that although my LDL-P has improved, it still places me at greater than average risk for a cardiac event."

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/archives/04-2015

If I were you I would look into trying the newer drugs which acts differently than a statin. You might have to get a free subscription to read this article which I recommend. I think you qualify but some doc do not know about it and your medical plan may want you to first try a statin as this new drug is likely a lot more expensive. I think the new drug is probably less likely to cause adverse reactions and is active closer to where the problems exist rather than a statin which acts early in the cholesterol synthesis pathway affecting everything downstream.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/854762

Now some statins can do something similar if other measures are taken but this looks promising
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 083902.htm

I would get this test

http://www.clevelandheartlab.com/blog/h ... -from-chl/

https://proargi9direct.wordpress.com/20 ... alth-test/

I would add zietia or the other fat binder
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11708574
http://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-s ... fat-binder

Also get your homocysteine down <8 and niacin will also help with Lp(a) but at high dose >2g/day it can throw off homocysteine and affect your BG levels so make sure you keep using a BG meter.

Objectives see video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNvTV4kz7KQ