New E3/E4, terrible blood results

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New E3/E4, terrible blood results

Post by Stavia »

Gene I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me. But we have both stated our conclusions and should leave it there and stop flogging a dead horse.
My opinion stands. So does yours. Over to Soz what he decides which might be a third option, which is also fine. It's his life
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gene also please note that I have not referred in a negative way to your opinion once in my posts on this thread. I have only stated my own opinion and my reasons for such.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Post by MarcR »

GenePoole0304 wrote:Well take a look at the bias of the Canadian Medical Association.
Gene, we're not here to discuss others' motives nor to disparage people based on profession or any other distinction. We're here to share evidence and our own personal choices.

(Edited to note that I wrote this post with my moderator's cap on)
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Gene, as a moderator, I am going to be more direct than Marc. I do not want you either scaring newcomers and I will not tolerate passive aggressive behavior.

Stop the hyperbole. In this discussion, you don’t need to add more scary words to restate your original opinion. Words like "alarming", "need a dramatic improvement" “I hate to sound like an alarmist but…” are not necessary here. This forum is not about scaring people to take action. You can provide information without resorting to scaring people.

Stop veiling your disagreements with Stavia using vague, passive-aggressive tactics. Your comment that doctors are "all subject to "implicit bias" This is not personal in any way to you." speaks volumes. When someone says, “it's not personal to you”, in the context of a disagreement, then yes, it is very personal and intentionally demeaning. If it wasn't personal, then why bring up implicit bias in the first place?

Posting flyers that appear to support a condemnation of public medicine under which Stavia practices is out of bounds. And mentions of incompetent doctors in your past suggest a guilty-by-association stance. These are instances of passive-aggressive behavior and will not be tolerated on this forum.

You gave your opinion. This is a openly a case of needing to agree to disagree.

Let go of the personal disagreement and give Soz some time to absorb the current set of comments and ask more questions.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New E3/E4, terrible blood results

Post by Stavia »

sozdds wrote:I have been following many websites, blogs, forums, and facebook groups for several years. I have read through many posts on this site in the last 2 days. I think that this is one of the most knowledgable and certainly it is the most compassionate and accepting groups that I have seen.
Soz I apologise on behalf of our group that YOUR thread got led astray. It's certainly not what the mods or board would want for a new member's introduction to our community.
Getting back to YOU, are there any additional questions you'd like to put to the community?
You are certainly very welcome and we are here to help and work together collaboratively so that we can all benefit.
You're probably got a lot of information to process. You are very welcome to PM me if you wish to talk privately :)
sozdds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sozdds »

Sorry to be the source of a ruckus, but I truly appreciate everyone's attempt to be of help. I thought this thread had petered out and had not checked the site since Saturday night. Imagine my surprise when I checked it tonight. Ihav. started crestor 40 mg for now. I can always cut back in future, but would like to see some of these numbers improve in a hurry. Have started running again, cut back on saturated fat, increased fish, and decreased red meat. Am conflicted about avocadoes and evoo now. I currently eat lunch at 11:30A. Large spinach salad, 2-3 hb eggs, 1/2 red pepper, 1 oz red wine vinegar, 1 oz evoo(but low quality) + 1/2 tin sardines every other day. Supper is at 5:30 p. 8 oz salmon or hamburger, 1 avacado,brocoli. 2 squares Lindt 90% after supper. Have nuts before meals usually. Will also have pb that is only peanuts if still hungry after meal. Can also add 24-72 hour fasts if it would be helpful. Very conflicted about supplements at this time. Would not mind taking a couple but do not want to overdo it. Also don't want to change too many things at once. I'd like to try metformin as an added drug if necessary, as my morning fbg is staying in the 100 range.I may try to add another nmr before Dec to see what's happening. Had a patient cancel tomorrow's appt because he had 3 stents put in this weekend, and he's thinner and healthier looking than I am Scary stuff!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Soz sounds great. Very sensible to not make many changes at once.
I completely understand about supplements. I personally reluctantly added them slowly one at a time over many months as my understanding of my biomarkers, and what I was able to do with diet alone, evolved.

Please let us know what the doc says tomorrow so that we can all learn.
sozdds
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sozdds »

Stavia, I do not have a dr appt today. I was talking about a patient of mine.
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

sozdds wrote:Stavia, I do not have a dr appt today. I was talking about a patient of mine.
the "dds" in your username is the clue I think! And external looks and internal health can be quite deceiving as far as lipids are concerned, especially in those of us with weird genetic propensities. My dad was always thin, was a sugar addict, had high cholesterol levels, finally got on a statin (once lipitor went generic; he also had the "thrifty" gene), and within 1-2 years died suddenly of massive heart attack at age 69. No guarantees even with longer term statin use; there are definitely some benefits with statins for primary prevention of CAD but not as robust as secondary prevention. He had at least one ApoE4 allele since I am homozygous. Most of his 4 brothers have had some form of cardiovascular disease. Only person in my family with Alzheimer's is my 58 yo obese sugar eating sedentary brother. At age 56, I am concerned about both my own cognitive and cardiac health.

My LDL was in the low 180's for years while I was at a "normal" BMI and on a vegetarian diet. I took a variety of statins without side effects for a long time. Five years ago, I started to exercise more and cut back on saturated fat, lost 15 #s, and got off of statins with personal best LDL of 110. LDL P still elevated though at that time (worse case 2500). Since joining this group, I've added more plant fat, reduced cheese even more, cut out most sugar, added small amounts of salmon, hitting a 12 hour overnight fasting most of the time, and am back to my high school level of underweight. Most recent LDL 145 and LDL-P 1600. Not in your ballpark lab-wise, but proof that change can happen with lifestyle alone. You will see this with other folks here as well. Bear in mind that trigs can fluctuate quite a bit based on recent food intake.

Despite the banter and disagreements on approach, this is a community with heart and we are here to support and cheer you on along your journey.
Slacker
E4/E4
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Soz, so I had it correct that you're on rosuvastatin like me. Since statins have been reported to increase BG levels ~9%, I have home tested mine, noting no changes. Of course, meanwhile I've increased my overnight fasts much like you're doing. Since I'm trying to decrease my pill count, I settled on this One supplement, however it does not have vitamin K. Your diet is similar to mine, minus the red meat and adding a few fermented veggies or yogurt daily. When my A1c was 5.8, the endocrinologist recommended lots of berries and argued against metformin which we discussed here..