Verifying e4 status

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Verifying e4 status

Post by Greenie »

I am not 100% sure on how to verify if I am e4/4. The data on 23andMe me and LiveWello do not come out and say (E3/E4 E4/E4 etc). It is my understanding that a C:C on rs429358 and a C:C on rs7412 would be E4E/4. Is that correct?
thumperama
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Verifying e4 status

Post by thumperama »

Welcome, Greenie!

According to Dr Rhonda Patrick's table for interpreting SNPs, that combination id E4/E4.

You are in good company here. There are lots of homozygotes in our forum community.

I encourage you to start a dialog with whatever is on your mind as you learn this.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome Greenie. If you have more questions, please ask away. We'll do our best to answer.
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greenie »

Thanks for the quick response. E4/E4 status does explain a lot. I have always been an avid exerciser (37 yo male) and am in excellent shape, however I am plagued my mysteriously high TG and low HDL and slightly elevated fasting glucose. My total cholesterol has always been low/excellent as has my LDL. I have never had the advanced lipid panels done. Some of the diet/supplement recommendations should help me for sure. I am starting some fish oil in hopes of lowering my TG (though not too much fish oil as I understand it can further decrease my HDL). Thanks for the resource, it's good to not feel alone out there!
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

Here is the table which will confirm your status.

Lower carb with higher fat will typically lower TG and raise HDL. Dr. Gundry told us that he's observed that sat fat, especially from animal fat will increase sdLDL. So I eat a low carb, high fat diet with the fat mostly from monos - avocado & unfiltered EVOO. Also nuts such as macadamia, walnut, pistachio, pecan & hazelnut.

Welcome.
Tincup
E3,E4
MAC
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by MAC »

GeorgeN, clearly you are much farther down this LCHF than myself, but following in your footsteps.

And you are very detailed and analytical in your approach, so I assume you've documented all the key markers over time on the LCHF protocol (maybe you've posted not sure), but how have your key markers moved over time and most importantly, how do you FEEL, especially cognitively (if you've tracked that as well)?

And how about exercise level re intensity/frequency?
MAC
E3/E4-59/MALE
Tincup
Mod
Mod

Post by Tincup »

MAC wrote: And you are very detailed and analytical in your approach, so I assume you've documented all the key markers over time on the LCHF protocol (maybe you've posted not sure), but how have your key markers moved over time and most importantly, how do you FEEL, especially cognitively (if you've tracked that as well)?
This post has links and file uploads of our data from Dr. Gundry as well as transcripts of our consults with him. I should note, this is what my wife & I do, noting that some people here have other opinions as to what is optimal.

As an 18 year low fat, whole foods vegan, my total cholesterol hung around 150 mg/dL. I was fit (like routinely competing in a half marathon that gained 7,800' and topped out at >14,000') but heavier than I should have been. However about 10 years ago, I purchased a glucometer and started testing 1 hour after eating. I spiked more than I should have. Also did my own oral glucose tolerance test. That also was sub-optimal. Tried to eat so as not to spike my glucose. Was somewhat successful. About 7 years ago, went full keto with a meat/fat/non startchy veg diet. Lost 35-40 pounds. After 5 years tested lipids with NMR. Relatively spiked numbers. Led me to test for ApoE4. Found Gundry who has been testing for E4 for 15 years and modifying his program if you are E4. Today, I follow Gundry's lead and worry about the plethora of inflammatory markers he tests, as to lipids, I strive for Tg/HDL <1 and sdLDL<30mg/dL. I'm able to do very well on the inflammatory markers and keep the others in range. You can see for yourself in the linked post above.

I feel well, but always have. Unlike some, serum ketone level does not make a difference to me 0, 0.5 5.6 mmol/L all feel the same to me.
MAC wrote:And how about exercise level re intensity/frequency?
Today, I don't spend a lot of time training with endurance cardio. I developed afib 12 years ago and this is contraindicated for me (my remission program includes detraining and high dose magnesium, currently 2.4 g/day has been as high as 5.5 g/day). I am active. I do HIIT Tabatas, bodyweight strength training, rock climb outside, ski, & etc. The HIIT is max intensity with a 20:10 Tabata program x 8. The strength training is a couple of days a week, many times super slow to failure.

Being keto adapted, I fast 22 hours/day and always exercise fasted - this includes sking off piste for 7 1/2 hours hard without any breaks. Also rock climbing for 5 or so hours most weekends. Obviously half my time climbing is spent belaying.

I can easily keep up with my cardio fiend friends.

Hope answers your questions.
Tincup
E3,E4
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hepoberman »

Hey there greenie! Unfortunately, you're correct. Those snp's indicate your version of APOE's are from the "old country", so to speak. These are known as ancestral alleles and as you are probably aware, carry a set of additional risks. There are also some benefits so its not all bad. (ie better Vitamin D, better immune systems)

Its great to hear you are healthy to date. Obviously, you've been taking care of yourself! Don't change too much too fast!

Its already been said and I agree that your elevated fasting tg's are left over from the excessive carbs converted the day(s) before the test. If the liver has a nice glycogen store, one of the first thing that happens to the carbs we eat is they get converted to tg's and packed into chylomicrons. This is normal but high tg's carry a set of risks of their own. Too much fat in the blood is just as bad as too much sugar.

So if you cut back on carbs (especially simple carbs) you'll see your fasting tg's come down. "The liver is the major site for converting excess carbohydrates and proteins into fatty acids and triglyceride, which are then exported and stored in adipose tissue." -http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pa ... bolic.html

Protect your head! If you are not already aware, there is a growing body of evidence that suggest we ~4's have much greater risk from brain trauma. I think ~4's may be banned from the NFL someday!
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Greenie wrote:
….am in excellent shape,… mysteriously high TG…total cholesterol has always been low/excellent…
I’m also an 4/4, have kept myself in decent shape most of my life, have always had good TGs but high total cholesterol. Just an observation, we are not all alike!
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Greenie.... I also had a big problem with TG's, was in good shape and had otherwise good cholesterol. After 12 years of struggling with 1800+ TG's, found I was a 4/4 and likely insulin resistant. My first steps were to change diet (I use a Grundy approach, not all of it but most), basically eliminating all carbs, sugar and grain. After the first 3 months I lost 25 lbs and my TG's went down to 143. I've since eliminated my fenofibrate and niacin, and have had my TG's as low as 43. Read Stavia's primer in getting started... read and ask questions and makes changes you feel comfortable with. I re-tested in 3 month increments with advanced lipid panels initially to see where my numbers were, and every six weeks with simple lipids/glucose for the med changes. Will probably not test for another 6 months now.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"