Extensive Test Results from Cleveland Heart Lab: Dec. 2016

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Extensive Test Results from Cleveland Heart Lab: Dec. 2016

Post by KatieS »

Like Stavia, I can get my saturated fat down to ~10grams by avoiding coconut, animal fat and roughly counting my nuts (no macadamia or cashews) & measuring EVOO. Not measuring & counting, my saturated fat jumps. However, I'm not going to limit avocados, least they deteriorate.
LG, this will be an interesting dietary experiment if your labs can change. Can you calculate on the CRON-O-Meter your saturated fat intake was prior to these labs? I'm thinking the bacon & cream add up.
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

LG, if you're game to try, I agree with Katie that it would be a great experiment. If you chose this please let us know.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Stavia wrote:LG, you are in fact the mythical 4/4 who is not a hyperabsorber!!
Wow.
I vaguely remember Ron Kraus saying that sat fat drives LDL synthesis at liver level.
I guess the only way to see if this applies to you is to do two back to back experiments with same percentage fat, but one high sat fat (which you've done) and one low sat fat using fatty fish, avo, nuts, olive oil. I can get my fat %to 55 with less than 10 grams sat fat if I avoid too much chocolate.
Cool, I know at one point I was 75-80% fat and I'm guessing 75% of that was saturated. I would need to stay with the keto 75-80% then for this experiment and just make the fat switch. I'm a bit of a nerd. I think a big reason I liked keto was because I could watch my ketone levels change with my macros. Thinking the experiment will be fine even though imperfect if I track well using the chrono app.

I'm a hypoabsorber, yay!....oh wait, that may not be good, or bad ...not sure I really grasp all that means... off to do some reading starting with our site's search box.
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

KatieS wrote:Like Stavia, I can get my saturated fat down to ~10grams by avoiding coconut, animal fat and roughly counting my nuts (no macadamia or cashews) & measuring EVOO. Not measuring & counting, my saturated fat jumps. However, I'm not going to limit avocados, least they deteriorate.
LG, this will be an interesting dietary experiment if your labs can change. Can you calculate on the CRON-O-Meter your saturated fat intake was prior to these labs? I'm thinking the bacon & cream add up.
Yes I actually tracked it us g that app a bit. I probably have about 2 weeks worth of data. Great idea! I have a feeling this will do the trick as it worked for so many here. Still, will be interesting to see since it is still very high fat.
ε4/ε4
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Stavia wrote:LG, if you're game to try, I agree with Katie that it would be a great experiment. If you chose this please let us know.
Will do! I will take a few weeks to get the diet fully changed over but I'll start tracking in earnest when I return from ski trip later in the month.

It's amazing how imprinted my way of eating has become. I keep reaching for the butter and then remember.
ε4/ε4
GenePoole0304
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GenePoole0304 »

LG1 wrote:
Wow.
I vaguely remember Ron Kraus saying that sat fat drives LDL synthesis at liver level.
I guess the only way to see if this applies to you is to do two back to back experiments with same percentage fat, but one high sat fat (which you've done) and one low sat fat using fatty fish, avo, nuts, olive oil. I can get my fat %to 55 with less than 10 grams sat fat if I avoid too much chocolate.
Cool, I know at one point I was 75-80% fat and I'm guessing 75% of that was saturated. I would need to stay with the keto 75-80% then for this experiment and just make the fat switch. I'm a bit of a nerd. I think a big reason I liked keto was because I could watch my ketone levels change with my macros. Thinking the experiment will be fine even though imperfect if I track well using the chrono app.

I'm a hypoabsorber, yay!....oh wait, that may not be good, or bad ...not sure I really grasp all that means... off to do some reading starting with our site's search box.

hyper absorption means it will increase LDL and P# which is what your results show.

http://bjjcaveman.com/2015/07/27/diving ... dayspring/

http://www.bostonheartdiagnostics.com/s ... e_test.php
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Gene she is a HYPOabsorber. But a HYPERsynthesiser.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

LG1 wrote:
SusanJ wrote:BCMO1 means that you don't convert beta-carotenes from plants into active vitamin A. If you decide to supplement Vitamin A, use something that has the "active" form of A. And don't take too much. It is fat soluble and the excess builds up.

From http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-A:

The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin A in adults is set at 3,000 μg RAE/day.
LG, Whereas I agree, I would also point out at this is part of the reasoning why it's even better to get fat soluble vitamins from real animal meat - including the fat. The vitamin A is what makes real grassfed beef fat yellow. When getting nutrients from real food, it's pretty hard to overdose.

Russ
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
Russ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Russ »

Wow.
Stavia, I didn't know that I was mythical ;-) FYI, I also hypo-absorber and hyper-synthesizer (per HDL Labs tests run by Gundry).

LG, I look forward to the results of your self-experimentation. I had no trouble driving markers into normally ideal zones on a low fat diet. I unquestionably feel better on a high fat diet that includes high quality animal fats by intention along with copious amounts of vegetables. I may be killing myself, and happy to keep learning. For now, though, I worry a lot less and just eat real food.
Russ
E3/4
Eat whole, real, flavorful food - fresh and in season... and mix it up once in a while.
LG1
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by LG1 »

Russ wrote:
Wow.
Stavia, I didn't know that I was mythical ;-) FYI, I also hypo-absorber and hyper-synthesizer (per HDL Labs tests run by Gundry).

LG, I look forward to the results of your self-experimentation. I had no trouble driving markers into normally ideal zones on a low fat diet. I unquestionably feel better on a high fat diet that includes high quality animal fats by intention along with copious amounts of vegetables. I may be killing myself, and happy to keep learning. For now, though, I worry a lot less and just eat real food.
So Russ, you are saying you are on a low fat diet? Is that why you 'may be killing yourself'? How low fat and what is the makeup of the fat if you don't mind.

You feel better on high fat that is interesting!

I have scoured the internet and cannot figure out what could cause the hypo absorption/hyper synthesis. Have you any information on that? I looked through Promethase and didn't see a lot I could point to specifically... some HDL markers that were good...
Last edited by LG1 on Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
ε4/ε4