New here and a good blogsite

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
philking
Contributor
Contributor

New here and a good blogsite

Post by philking »

Hi there to all,
I am a 3/4 and took care of my mother for her last three years from 87 to 90 years watching the typical Alzheimer's mental degradation. I met Julie at the Bredesen conference in December and was more that impressed with her talk. She is a wonderful speaker and had only given her talk three times.

I am devoted to aging and aging research and am a member of the Gerontology Research Group (GRG.org) where we have 450 members discussing all aging issues and the group keeps tract of all the people over 110 and the former head of the group actually autopsied 14 people of that age. He found that 3 died from pneumonia and all the rest from amyloidosis! Does that word sound familiar? Basically, if you live long enough you can look forward to plaque clogging everything up!

My best friend and Doctor has a website which is quite, quite technical but works on aging and causes of aging. Interestingly enough their last discussion by Vince Gulianni is a technical explanation of inflammation. For those of you who are interested in the biology of things I highly recommend it. There is some Alzheimer's stuff in the archives too. The link is www.anti-agingfirewalls.com/

My education was math, but I am getting educated by all the pubmed articles that I have to read and Wikipedia where I find myself clicking on so many blue words that I get so far down the line in wiki that I don't remember where I started.

Phil
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: New here and a good blogsite

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome, Phil, and know that you're in good company here both from the caregiver and carrier perspectives. Hope you get a chance to look around and ask any questions if they pop up.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the aging research you've found and how it might apply to us E4 carriers. And thanks for the link to the site!
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

Welcome philking - so glad to have you here with us!

I just recently discovered the AgingSciences - Anti-Aging Firewalls blog site and am also a fan of Vince Giuliano, (and now James Watson). Thanks so much for posting the link..this site has some very relevant information (that is also very well presented and referenced) for our group. Since the E4 variant is a driver of LOAD, I find antiaging research always an interesting read. The section I just read on Inflammation was excellent.

Looking forward to seeing you on the forums and leaning more about antiaging research!
philking
Contributor
Contributor

Post by philking »

Susan:
Thank you so much for your welcome and acceptance of my post.

To address your statement about aging research helping the E4 community, I would have to say that the E4 community like all communities are aging and acquiring the diseases of aging of which Alzheimer’s is one. And the aging community and the aging conferences are always addressing Alzheimer’s now as probably of foremost concern. 3/3’s are going to get Alzheimer’s if they live long enough and do not follow many of the recommendations on this site. Yes, e4’s have a specific problem because of the e4 protein penetrating the cell and then screwing around with 1700 genes (information that freaked me out at Bredesen conference).
And in the other direction E4 information aiding the aging community , the 12 point list posted by Stavia in the welcome article are all things that the aging community needs to listen to. Not one thing in the list is not among the issues mentioned by people who are studying aging as being important for healthy longevity (health span). The main thing different for e4 that I see is pursing the ketogenic diet. I tried this one summer for weight loss and general brain health but was not able to stay on it. The diet is, also, being tossed around in the aging community especially for diabetics and neurological health. I find it somewhat controversial as I am not sure about IR and the diet so I have to research this much more.

One thing that has just hit the aging community like a brick is senescent cells (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senescence ) and the taking of Dasatanib and Quercetin for eliminating these cells. There was just a conference on aging at the Jupiter, Florida, Scripts Institute last month. At this conference there was a panel discussing cellular senescence and its role in age-related diseases. Evidently Dr. Judy Campisi (Buck Institute & UC Berkley) and Dr. James Kirkland (Director, Kogard Institute on Aging at the Mayo Clinic) discussed the conflicting evidence for Dasatinib (a senomorphic compound) and Quercetin (a true senolytic) for treating cellular senescence. Judy Campisi has joined a Biotech start up called “Unity Biotechnology” which is developing new, small molecule senolytics. This is a very exciting, emerging area of research I am waiting for the results to come out. Right now, I just have second hand information on it. But the information is good enough with this conference results to where I am probably going to start taking the dosages to rid my body of these awful cells.

Basically, I am worried about myself for survival into old age, which is pretty given with my background, while having AD at some future time; however, AD may be cured before I get to it. No matter what, I have to pay attention to long time survival with good health span. The aging community is also addressing the issue of lifespan vs. health span. I was at a recent conference where I saw that male lifespan has increased 4 years recently but health span only 2.5 years. I think this E4 community overlaps with that. We may get AD but may not suffer the long painful deaths that people are suffering whose memories are intact. My mother lived a wonderful happy life even with AD to the last three days when she was ill and died at 90. My dad lived without AD a happy and wonderful life until he was ill for a week and died at 98. Should our goal be that, also?

To Lucy: The Doctor mentioned above is James Watson.
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Phil, thanks for the note on quercetin and Dasatinib. I already take quercetin to help with allergies, so interesting to read about other effects.

Good point about being happy until we do finally pass. That is a great goal for all of us!
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Nice to see you here, Phil! James Watson's site is a treasure trove of information. I've stumbled on it before, but definitely need to spend some time there. If there's a blog post (or several) in particular that you think overlaps with our agenda, please highlight for us.

It's very interesting to see you focus on quercetin. My FMP just put me on Natural D Hist for mast cell issues. The primary ingredient is quercetin. I know it's also a potent CR mimetic. I also like Japanese green tea which is another decent source of quercetin. Keep posting, my friend. I want to learn more from the aging research community.
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

Hi Phil, Rhonda Patrick did a great interview with Dr. Campisi in April. For some reason it only recently popped up in my podcast feed. Maybe you've already heard it. Anyway, if not, have a listen. Great stuff, and also explains why one might not want to just kill off all their senescent cells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adg3vUez3EU
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.