Fish oil effects on labs

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Fish oil effects on labs

Post by Greenie »

I had a repeat of basic blood work done after starting fish oil. As a reference point I am a 4/4. I did also make some dietary changes including more olive oil and less meat/dairy and continued working out as before (running, lifting).
The first number is from 10 months ago, the second is a few weeks ago
Total cholesterol: 138, 106
Triglycerides: 235, 54
HDL: 30,30
LDL: 61,65
Chol/HDL ratio: 4.6, 3.5
LDL:HDL ratio: 2.03, 2.17
VLDL: 47, 11

It looks like it basically did nothing to my HDL or LDL, but drastically lowered my Triglycerides and VLDL. Given what I've seen from other's lab work, it looks like some other factors (such as FAD1 varieties) might have more influence on lipids than APOE status. My HDL has been around 30 since the first time I had it checked in my early 20's, I can't seem to make that budge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Re: Fish oil effects on labs

Post by Julie G »

Fish oil is used to lower TGs. It sure worked for you- kudos! Your TC is quite low. Out of curiosity, what's your current diet like, Greenie?
TheresaB
Mod
Mod

Post by TheresaB »

Greenie,

You didn’t specify that you’re concerned that fish oil is affecting your lipids, but I’m guessing that is your concern from how you titled this thread.

FYI, our doctor (Dr Gundry) just recommended more fish oil for my husband (3/4). Dr G stresses fish oil for his ApoE4s and likes us (4s) to have an Red Blood Count (RBC) Omega-3 index of 10-12. My husband was taking four 1000 mg capsules a day to get a total of 1000 mg of the DHA component of the fish oil. To bump my husband’s index up, he told him to increase his Fish Oil intake and indicated this might also help with his dry skin. Here’s the link to that recent consult https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... 870#p34870

In our consults, Dr Gundry has encouraged fish oil for us despite our lipid markers, which if he followed "conventional wisdom" are at levels that would put us both on statins (and if you are unfamiliar with Dr Gundry, he is a cardiac surgeon who's now concentrating on restoring health vs surgery). In fact, he has indicated fish oil is one of the strategies he uses to reduce Lp-PLA2 (a marker of atherosclerosis-related vascular inflammation). He recommended my husband increase his fish oil intake despite his “yellow” sdLDL level and slightly “yellow” oxidized LDL level. Those are the lipid markers Dr Gundry tends to concern himself with the most as they are the most troublesome for ApoE4s.

Your triglycerides dropped wonderfully! That’s great.
-Theresa
ApoE 4/4
Greenie
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Greenie »

Thanks. My macro comes out to be 50% fat, 30% carb, 20%protein 2200 calories per day on average. My diet is mostly eggs, green smoothies (hemp protein or hydrolyzed collagen protein), or oatmeal for breakfast. I probably eat 7 eggs per week. Big salad/mixed greens for lunch, a couple handfuls of mixed nuts daily, 2-3 servings of fruit daily (usually berries in smoothie, grapefruit or goji berries with nuts). Fish about 2 days per week. Dinner includes some small portions of grass fed beef or chicken, vegetables, homemade veggie burgers etc. Dark chocolate with almond butter daily (about 3squares of endangered species dark). I have about 3-4TBS olive oil daily, 1-2 tsp organic red palm oil (Nutiva humanely grown), and daily cod liver and krill oil.
My cholesterol (LDL, HDL, total) has always been low as far back as My early 20's. My triglycerides and VLDL tend to run high, until I started the fish oil. I previously seldom ate fish. I also found out that I have poor conversion of PUFAs so I need them from animal sources, which explains why my previous high intake of plant sourced omega 3 did nothing in comparison to the fish oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk