Glucose Tolerance Test Thoughts?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Glucose Tolerance Test Thoughts?

Post by SarahAnne »

Hi All. I don't have a glucose monitor (yet) but just had a 4-hour glucose tolerance test. I've had symptoms of hypoglycemia my whole life, but didn't really know it and never had it tested. I'd welcome any input to help me understand more about these results before I chat with the MPI-trained doctor in the next few days. Most notably about the drop from 124 down to 53 in the half hour near the start. And perhaps what the cortisol data suggests, if anything. Many thanks:)

Glucose mg/dL:
Fasting - 83
1/2 hr - 124
1 hr - 53 (Low, abnormal; range 65-179)
2 hrs - 82
3 hrs - 74
4 hrs - 72

Insulin mU/L:
Fasting - 7.1
1 hr - 25.7 (Low, abnormal; range 42-250)
2 hrs - 62.8
3 hrs - 13.6

Cortisol ug/dL:
Fasting - 15.68
2 hrs - 7.18
3 hrs - 6.66
Hepoberman
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Glucose Tolerance Test Thoughts?

Post by Hepoberman »

You drank 75 grams of pure glucose, fasted, for this test? If so, this looks OK to me. Your pancreas is to be envied.

Try testing 1 hour after meals. I would love to learn what you've found when comparing an ogtt to actual meals. I think you'll find fiber helps and slower digesting carbs won't trigger those peaks.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

SarahAnne, most importantly how did you feel at the 1 hour point? Were you symptomatic? I had a similar experience with my OGGT. I peaked quickly at 140 (higher than yours,) then dropped to the low 50s at the 1 hour point. I was very symptomatic; sweating, shaking, lightheaded, etc. Your body beautifully shifted into ketosis creating KBs at the 2 hour point that brought your BG back up to a terrific level. Your metabolic flexibility is to be envied for sure. At the two hour point, my BG was still around 52 and I was ready to chew my arm off :? .

Your fasting glucose is great. Your fasting AM cortisol is in the middle of the reference range. Your fasting insulin, however, is on the high side. I'm unsure what to make of your results. You clearly have reactive hypoglycemia. I'm curious about your typical diet.
SarahAnne
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SarahAnne »

At about the one hour point I got extremely sleepy and laid down on the bed in the room. I am not a napper, but for about two hours I felt like sleeping and fell in and out of a sleep state. I also felt extremely cold. These don't sound like the standard symptoms so I didn't know what to make of it. My standard diet is all over the place. I eat low carb for the most part but I think the hypoglycemia has led me to need to get a carb fix every hour in an addictive sort of way. So my fix is dark chocolate (too much). I'm trying to figure it all out. Many thx for your help!
Sarah