New to the forum

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Stacysol
Contributor
Contributor

New to the forum

Post by Stacysol »

Hello,
I am so thankful to have found this group. I discovered my APO E 3/4 status in May of 2015 through a HDLI panel my doctor ordered.
I was 39 at the time. I was shocked to see the entire panel of Lipoprotein Particles and Apolipoproteins light up in red.
LDL-P 2454
Apo-B 146
small LDL-P 1496
Apo B Apo A ratio 0.88
CRP 3.6
Myeloperoxidase 420
My doctor referred me to a cardiologist who did a calcium score CT, thankfully that was negative so they did not insist on statins at that time. I jumped online and immediately made drastic diet changes. In hindsight I went a little overboard. I went vegan and grain free for about three months. I lost 15 pounds and was at the ideal weight for my height. As it does, life happened and other stressors took over. I failed to stay on that eating plan. I ended up with adrenal fatigue last year so my attention concentrated there. Without much concern for my labs from my doctors I let this diagnosis fall by the wayside. Here I am 2 years later ready to get serious about this once and for all. I just completed 6 weeks of acupuncture treatments for a skin condition, brachioradial pruritus (this awful itchy condition was also the focus of my attention and seemed more pertinent than the APO E). My metabolic functions are still lighting up as dysfunctional so now that the itchy arms are under control we are going to change the focus treatment to metabolism. I have not had another Lipoprotein test run but I am going to request my new PCP order it so we can see where I am. (We have just moved to a new state).
I have renewed my commitment to search for information to provide to my PCP as most of them are totally unaware of what to recommend. The books and articles regarding APO E 3/4 4/4 diet plans are so contradictory it has been very challenging to decide what protocol to follow. After most recently finding out about Dr. Guntry I have decided to go back to plant based and grain free. I hope my PCP is willing to do frequent lab work and help me navigate this condition. My Dad had an MI at 51, both parents have heart disease. I also have been medicated for hypertension since the birth of my first son in 2004 and hypothyroid since 2006. I am combing thorough all of the information on this page and look forward to getting more acquainted with you all. This is an overwhelming amount of information with my current brain fog but I am hopeful to find some answers. Diet advice is appreciated! I am on the fence with the coconut oil, hopefully 1 tbsp a day won't do too much harm. Should I be taking Fish oil daily in addition to days I'm consuming fish products? So many questions!!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New to the forum

Post by Stavia »

Welcome Stacey. Yes its very overwhelming at first but you have time to get your head around everything.
To answer your question - omega3s are important but don't just buy any cheap brand. First understand how they work and why they are important.
Have you read my primer?
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stacey, first read thru Stavia's primer for realistic gradual changes while raising your sons. You're only 41, so focus on the big impact areas such as sleep & exercise. As to special supplements, I would add one by one cautiously since you have just resolved the pruritus, and might be more sensitive. When you have your labs repeated, you might want to include homocysteine & lp(a) due to your cardiac family history. Do you have any familial AD? Are both parents cognitively normal & on statins?
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Stacey, Welcome. Stavia's primer is so helpful. It is such an excellent reference. I keep going back to it when I find something in a post that I don't understand. KatieS is right about making gradual changes. The important thing is to develop lifestyle changes that you can maintain. Being in this group has been a great motivator for me. We learn so much from each other.
Starfish
Stacysol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stacysol »

Thank you Stavia & Katie
Stavia,
Thank you for your response. Yes I have read the information in the primer. I will have to reread it several times to grasp it all. Again I apologize but my ability to absorb new information is severely lacking these days. I had been taking Life Extension Super Omega-3 which is a very good brand according to my previous PCP but once I was diagnosed E3/4 and my cardiologist took over he said to stop the Omega ( again, contradictory information). After further confusing myself by reading Pam McDonald, Dr. Davis, Esselystyn, Dr. Steinbaum, Attia, etc... I sort of gave up. Grain or no grains.. fats or no fats?? The dietitian consult from True Health was not very informative either. They basically provided the same generic mainstream diet information. After finding this site I do see that stopping my Omegas was a poor recommendation by my cardiologist. I currently have Carlson Norweigan fish oil with 1,600 omega 3. EPA 800mg and DHA 500mg.
I am also taking
B-12 1000 mcg IM twice a week (by B12 was 200 before starting the shots)
D3 5,000
Enbrace HR (for malabsorption)
Folbee (folic acid also for the malabsorption)
Micardis (HTN)
Synthroid 75mcg
Cytomel 5 mcg (thyroid)
Theralac probiotics
I consume tumeric and ginger daily along with ACV and macha green tea. I think I will switch to the tumeric in a supplement form to make sure I am getting the black pepper to absorb it properly. I weened myself from all animal protein over the last 2 weeks. My diet this week has consisted of 2 Organic free range eggs with a cup of spinach and bell peppers along with a cup of coffee, a green smoothie with cucumber, kale, parsley, tbsp of Carrington Coconut oil, cashew milk and 1/4 c pineapple. Organic apple, serving raw almonds, large salad with veges, 1/4 avocado, organic olive oil and lemon either salmon ( wild atlantic ) or crab or shrimp. I also have a small serving of organic 72% chocolate and 1-2 glasses of red wine. I feel like this is something I can stick with. I suppose I just won't know if its enough until I have my labs rechecked. I really enjoy my end of the day wine but I am willing to give it up if need be.

Katie, thank you for your reply as well. I will request the labs you have suggested. After the episode of adrenal fatigue I traded my long workouts at the gym for a program that includes cardio, hiit, pilates, barre, yoga. I do not exceed 50 min of exercise a day. It is a great mix of exercises and is never boring. I sleep 8-10 hours a night and now soundly since the itching in my arms is under control. Both parents are cognitively normal and both on statins. My father is now 72. He has 5 stents since his MI at age 51. My mother is 69 and has suffered from debilitating fibromyalgia since her early 30s. They have not had the gene testing done yet. I also have three sisters two of them have sons with autism. They are planning to be tested soon. It is overwhelming to see the lists of supplements and not know where to start. I have seen my mom spend thousands of dollars on them following different Fibro Protocols and never really knowing what was helping or harming. Your advice is appreciated!
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

Stacey, interesting that telmisartan (Micardis) might help with improved insulin sensitivity. Insulin resistance might be a major contibutor to AD, so add the A1c, and insulin levels with your upcoming labs. As to wine, many of us abstain, but as a 3/4 with a strong CV history, maybe just one glass of red wine works. If you take turmeric with black pepper, be sure and take this not with your other meds. I've done drug interaction searches for the two meds (HTN & statin) I take with my various supplements and have had to exclude a few. However, as a pharmacist warned me, no studies with be done with various supplements and medications, so you wind up being cautious if a theoretical interaction is noted.
Stacysol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stacysol »

Katie,
I take my thyroid meds upon waking wait 30 min before coffee then take the remaining meds with breakfast. I usually have my tumeric later in the day as tea. Thanks for the information, I will be sure to space it out. I looked through my labs from 2015. My homocysteine was normal range at 9. However my HbA1c was 5.6 and most recently it is 6.1 I plan to get a glucometer to keep track of FBS levels. You all are a wealth of information! Thank you!
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

Stacey, in my opinion your Hba1c is too high. It is in the pre-diabetic range. My recommendation is that you focus on this before looking at your lipids.
If I were you I'd drop the wine until things improved.
Stacysol
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stacysol »

Thank you Stavia,
When we moved last month I mentioned that to my new doctor. She was not concerned even when I mentioned my mom has type 2. I will onsist on retesting or start looking for a new doc. I'll stop the wine too. Thank you.