Vegan Newbie, Accidental 4/4 discovery, Terrified

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
CarrieS
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Vegan Newbie, Accidental 4/4 discovery, Terrified

Post by CarrieS »

Another option to replace coconut oil is MCT oil. It's the Medium Chain Tryglicerides in coconut oil but concentrated so you reduce the amount of coconut oil that you ingest. MCT is great for energy. I use it in my morning coffee (bulletproof style), add it in salad dressings, cook with it, etc. It's expensive so I don't go crazy with it and maybe use 1 or 2 tablespoons a day.

My Functional Medicine doctor suggested adding 1/2 cup wild blueberries and pomegranate juice to my daily diet for their antioxidant qualities (along with the Omega 3's that were already suggested above). I agree that working towards eliminating sugar from your diet would be a very beneficial first step. Over the years, I've found that grains make me want sugar so I do better keeping them out of my diet to keep cravings at bay.

As overwhelming as all of this is, we are here to support you on your journey. You've been very brave to reach out and share your story. Hugs to you, Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

I agree completely with Carrie. I use MCT oil almost everyday.
You'll find here, some articles on MCT and AD.
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/disease/alz ... se?ed=6586
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

Hi Zenginner!
I haven't been on this site properly for a while so missed your first post but wanted to say that I found out I was 4/4 4 months ago now and relate to your reaction so well! I hope things have got easier for you. I think it sounds like you're on and have been on the right track for years now anyway and I'm sure you'¡re doing well.
your exercise regime sounds brilliant - puts me to shame! Well done and take care!
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Hey, GemmaJ!

It got easier, then harder, then easier. Guess I'm still approaching the acceptance phase. LOL
My friends' support has been a mixed bag. Their approach varies between three opinions:
1. Genetics don't matter,
2. You don't need to worry about it, you are the healthiest living person I know, and
3. Just pray about it.
Aaarg.

They mean well. :roll: But, that is what happens when you hail from "the South." Needless to say, from my results, they have ALL decided NOT to test. (Most people I grew up with consider a life that excludes meat and includes exercise, unlivable.)

It got harder because I did further testing. From the results of that, it is clear that my family comes from a lineage of people that Darwin would be shocked didn't die before procreating. :!:

I did cut out all BUT naturally-existing-in-the-fruit sugar and flour (only eat bread-ish products made of "sprouted whole grain," now). I have dropped 11 lbs. Probably have about 5-10 more to lose, before I am rid of most of the dreaded visceral fat. On the bright side, I am destined to look better in a bikini at 53 than I did at 40. :P

Thanks for the encouragement on the exercise. I cheat. I took a job 2 years ago that is outside, and requires walking. The plan was that I would get paid to exercise (instead of having to go to the gym after work) and get to go home and eat cookies. Well, the cookie plan didn't pan out. ;)

I assume it is all for the better. I had the genes, anyway. Finding out just made me a less at-risk version of me, I guess. You know what they say, "All things work together for good." We will see.... 8-)
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

You sound brilliant! I think your fab sense of humour will get you through! I'm English though so didn't get the 'south' joke probably as well as I should!! Well done on the positivity! Gx
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

GemmaJ wrote: I'm English though so didn't get the 'south' joke probably as well as I should!!Gx
Sorry about that. The South is stereotyped for its religiosity, obesity, lack of education, and meat eating – particularly fried foods (such as fried chicken, chicken fried steak, and fried potatoes) and BBQ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

Ha! You definitely aren't truly southern then!!
Jani
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Jani »

APOE 4/4. My son who lives in China just had his fourth stent implanted for his heart disease. In that hospital visit he learned he is apoe4/4. He is quite frightened as am I his mother. He has done research and has decided to embrace Dr. Eddlestyn book and cookbook called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. This diet is vegan with no oil, no dairy, no salt, no nuts and no meat. I would
be interested to know if anyone else has learned about Dr. Eddlestyn's research. And what anybody thinks about this diet. Supposably this diet also helps with the Alzheimer impact.
Jan
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

I am sorry to hear about your son’s difficulties. I am sure that it’s tough to hear.

I am not, personally, familiar with Dr. Eddlestyn's diet. However, I would be surprised if someone on this page hasn’t tried it.

I stopped eating meat in 1985, and dairy in 2012. I do, however, still consume oil and nuts. I would not say I eat “no salt,“ but I haven’t had it in my home in 15 years.

I have been very fortunate, and that my blood pressure is low normal, and my cardiac calcium score is zero. I have a mitral valve prolapse, and pre-ventricular contractions, with an irregular heart rhythm. So, I have prophylactically visited the cardiologist every 8 to 10 years, since I was a teenager. I would assume that my continued good health is due to my diet, and consistent moderate exercise.

I would suggest that you go to the newbie page, and post a question about that diet. There are many knowledgeable people on here, one of them will probably respond.

Welcome to the group, and I wish your son luck with his preventative efforts.
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
SoCalGuy
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SoCalGuy »

Jani wrote:APOE 4/4. My son who lives in China just had his fourth stent implanted for his heart disease. In that hospital visit he learned he is apoe4/4. He is quite frightened as am I his mother. He has done research and has decided to embrace Dr. Eddlestyn book and cookbook called Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. This diet is vegan with no oil, no dairy, no salt, no nuts and no meat. I would
be interested to know if anyone else has learned about Dr. Eddlestyn's research. And what anybody thinks about this diet. Supposably this diet also helps with the Alzheimer impact.
Jan
I have been following Eddlestyn, Greger and John McDougal's diets. Eddlestyn is in the same category as Dean Ornish and they have been able to treat people with advanced heart disease. I do not have heart disease but I am most concerned about my heart health given it is the #1 cause of morbidity and I do not believe eating minimally processed plant-based carbs is likely to increase my risk of Alzheimer's disease. I have also been able to get off of a low-dose statin by following a plant based, whole food diet. I found that I needed to add in some starch in the form of old fashioned oatmeal and brown rice in order to get enough calories and feel energetic. I try to avoid highly processed foods like breads.

One nice hack I got from Eddlestyn is to boil kale or swiss chard for 6 minute and then dress it with balsamic vinegar. It is supposedly great for your endothelium as it creates a lot of nitric oxide. Eddlestyn also does not allow coffee which I wasn't thrilled about but given your son's condition it is probably worthwhile to follow the diet to the letter. It also does not allow alcohol.

I hope your son can make a quick recovery. Dr Greger is very active online so if you want to check out nutritionfacts dot org you will have access to all of his articles and videos. Dr Eddlestyn's wife, daughter and son are all active on You Tube so you can find out more about the diet from them.
Last edited by SoCalGuy on Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.