Vegan Newbie, Accidental 4/4 discovery, Terrified

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
MarcR
Mod
Mod

Re: Vegan Newbie, Accidental 4/4 discovery, Terrified

Post by MarcR »

ZenGinner wrote:It is comforting that the cholesterol may not be the worst part.
Indeed, based on my understanding of recent, high-quality studies as cited above, your total, LDL, and HDL cholesterol numbers look outstanding. Not "worst" but best! I wonder if replacing coconut oil in your diet with a more easily oxidized mono or poly unsaturated fat or with more grains, potatoes, or sugar will damage rather than improve your health.

I think it's unfortunate that the American Heart Association continues to urge us to consume manufactured seed oils (canola, corn, soy, cottonseed, safflower, and peanut) rather than the unprocessed natural fats (like coconut oil) that humans evolved to eat. Read this article for a compelling rebuttal to the recent AHA-promoted meta-analysis, and read this article for a sobering analysis of the AHA's funding sources and agenda. And for an eye-opening (literally!) analysis of the strong association between manufactured seed oils and the burgeoning epidemic of macular degeneration, a disease virtually unknown before the 1920s, watch this presentation.
What did you mean by: " but if you want a biomarker to target, I suggest triglycerides < HDL"?
As Slacker noted above, I was suggesting that the relationship between the triglycerides and HDL numbers is meaningful. Having high triglycerides and/or low HDL is an indicator of insulin resistance, which I believe to be the root cause of the epidemic of chronic disease that has swept the planet over the past 40 years.
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Slacker:

Thanks! I appreciate the translation!
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

MarcR wrote:
ZenGinner wrote: I wonder if replacing coconut oil in your diet with a more easily oxidized mono or poly unsaturated fat or with more grains, potatoes, or sugar will damage rather than improve your health.
MarcR:

Thanks for the input, and references. As I have never trusted the AHA, I think I am going to work on the triglycerides and extra weight, first. And, leave the coconut oil. I can switch to EVOO and avocado oil for cooking and salads. But, I primarily get the coconut milk in my coffee through organic whole coconut milk. Coffee, I read is good, and I probably wouldn't partake without the coconut oil (as I don't do dairy, and won't use chemical creamers).

As a vegan, lowering saturated fat that far is not really sustainable for me. I don't like to do soy and tempeh, as they are processed non-whole foods. I try to stick to real stuff. I like edamame, but really - how often can you do that. And, then there is all the talk of impact of soy on hormones. Aaarg.

Thanks again!
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
KatieS
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by KatieS »

ZenG, my cholesterol went up while I was making coconut milk coffee lattes. Now I use Good Karma flax seed milk which mixes into coffee with a tad of unsweetened organic cocoa powder and ground cloves.
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Katie:

That sounds amazing. I will look for it.

Z
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hello Zen
Having a health coach could be a great idea as well as this wonderful site. And talking to someone who can understand you and help you being on 'track' , being an ally and supporting could be so nice! You can do it on line ( via Skype, Zoom, Healthie, FaceTime...) once a week or a month, as you wish and convenient for you. With your travelling, it is perfect. Here is a link with the 'Functional Medicine Coaching Academy '( a collaboration of the Institute of Functional Medicine):
http://coachingcenter.functionalmedicinecoaching.org

YOU'RE GREAT!!!! KEEP ON!!!
Lucie Jolicoeur
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

KatieS wrote:ZenG, my cholesterol went up while I was making coconut milk coffee lattes. Now I use Good Karma flax seed milk which mixes into coffee with a tad of unsweetened organic cocoa powder and ground cloves.
I tried it, and really like it!
I got the Good Karma brand, that has pea protein as a thickener. I even added chives and cinnamon.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

jolicoeur wrote: Having a health coach could be a great idea as well as this wonderful site. And talking to someone who can understand you and help you being on 'track' , being an ally and supporting could be so nice!

Lucie:

Thank so much for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I don't think a "health coach" would meet my needs.

According to the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy website, the coaching includes:

"...Adhering to dietary recommendations, weight loss, developing and sticking with an exercise plan, ways to reduce stress, or how to deal with challenging family or work situations."

I don't desire encouragement; I desire facts and information. I have little difficulties sticking to healthy behaviors, once I decide my path.

There is, apparently, quite a lot to learn, and this group has MANY knowledgeable folks. My challenge is finding time to finish wading through all the info.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

ZenGinner - it's going to take you months to fully wade thru the information and nuances. Take your time. And I recommend that you tackle the high fat vs low fat minefield last. Its was and is still the area of most uncertainty for me personally.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
jolicoeur
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jolicoeur »

Hi Kathleen

I can see through your readings that you have a high self-regulation character strength!!!! That's so good! I'm sure you will find all the resources you need and be able to implement these. For info, health coaches from the Functional Medicine Coaching Academy (FMCA) provide information based on science as well as helping people to define how they want to change their lifestyle for their optimal health. FMCA is in collaboration of the Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM). I agree with you: this web site is an incredible resource!!!! Take care
Lucie
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach (FMCHC)
FMCA /Bredesen's ReCODE for coaches
AFMCP (IFM November 2017)