Weight gain problems.... Any advice very welcome...

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Harrison
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Weight gain problems.... Any advice very welcome...

Post by Harrison »

Hi Gemma,
I have a friend who is your exact height and weight. She often felt tired, but had difficulty sleeping, so she started adding collagen to tea. This has made a world of difference. See this thread for some comments from other members about collagen: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... t=collagen.

The collagen she uses is this: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Cert ... 01A1G47L0/
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

Oh my goodness! Stavia - I wasn't sure how to thank you for being so blunt because it actually really helped. The one thing I have always responded to is being told off and being told I MUST do something or else..!

You are dead right - the anorexic mind is a very hard one to escape from in its rigidity. Being given a new diet is like a gift for an anorexic because you will perfect that with no leeway! As soon as I found out about APOE 4/4, I was determined to get it all exactly right immediately and it was completely the wrong thing to do. Things like cronometer are a bit of a nightmare too as I find myself wanting every day to be exactly the same or to try and 'beat' myself in the wrong way. You guys pulled me back onto the right track because that's a place I never want to return to! So it's protein shakes, nut butters, even more nuts and Quest Bars (Slacker - thank you! I found them on Spanish Amazon! Have to wait till Tuesday to get my hands on them and can't wait!) all the way from now on!

You're right Stavia - I'll never make that weight. I feel sad about that but it is true. BUT I'm determined to make 50kg this time and I'll be quiet now as I've just gone on about myself again!

To all of you, though, I do want to say that it's really difficult talking about gaining weight - people often sneer and even hate you as it seems such a social 'wrong' - shouldn't we all be losing weight? What's wrong with you? And women especially are prone to talking about diets and beach bodies and goodness knows what....It's hard to be doing the opposite but not really being allowed to talk about it... You guys have allowed me to 'break free' from that for the first time really.

We're in it together hey? I hope I can support others in the same way you all have me.

Gx
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

Harrison wrote:Hi Gemma,
I have a friend who is your exact height and weight. She often felt tired, but had difficulty sleeping, so she started adding collagen to tea. This has made a world of difference. See this thread for some comments from other members about collagen: https://www.apoe4.info/forums/viewtopic ... t=collagen.

The collagen she uses is this: https://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Cert ... 01A1G47L0/
Wow! This is interesting - thank you! I will definitely look into it! Gx
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

[quote="WhatNext"]Disclaimer: I'm not a nutritionist or medical professional but I'm into healthy snacks--I get hungry when I'm working at the computer. Your mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks sound pretty meager; you could increase the calories in those snacks. You said you're eating a "couple of ounces" of mixed unsalted nuts--no peanuts. How about increasing that to "a few" or even "several"? Just adding an ounce of pumpkin seeds to your nuts would add about 125 calories, although they're higher in carbs than the nuts. My go-to snack is a mixture of unsalted raw almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds.

Thanks for all this great advice - I'm going to try it all!
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

1) Quest protein bars (not sure if they are available across the pond). Usually I will eat one of these before lunch, or between lunch and dinner. These are also easy to bring with to work or wherever if you need to snack.
2) Lots of nuts... I keep bags of them around the house (un-shelled pistachios, macadamia mostly) and grab a handful whenever I pass em by, and also keep em at my desk to graze on.
RU[/quote]

Thanks for this advice - sorry, I mistook your advice for Slacker's and it is you I have to thank for the discovery of all those delicious flavoured Quest bars! I've ordered some 'Cinnamon Whirl' ones online - can't wait! Nuts and eggs will be everywhere too!
Thank you!
Last edited by GemmaJ on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

SusanJ wrote:Gemma, I think those of us who are small, sometimes have problems eating enough before getting full. In addition to protein, I found I needed to add more carbs, like sweet potatoes or other root veggies (beets, parsnips, turnips, etc) to gain weight.

If I were you, I'd wait to up your running until you get your calories up, but maybe you could add in some weight lifting on the off days? You can do a lot with just a good set of hand weights, including squats and lunges. And with the extra protein, it might help stabilize your weight some.
Great idea about the weights! I'm definitely going to slowly add some weights work in!
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ladyjane »

https://www.ondietandhealth.com/walkabout-emu-oil/

I am a holistic nutritional counselor. Here is a podcast for you to listen to and decide if you want to invest in your longevity by taking this superfood. I take it for the K factor (my ostepenia), which you will learn about in the podcast. Walkabout Emu Oil will also help clear calcium plaque from the arteries. I suspect it will help feed nutrients to your body that you so desperately need. Wishing you a long, healthy life. Best regards.
GemmaJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by GemmaJ »

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely listen to the podcast as any help with the weight gain etc is very, very welcome! Thank you! Gx
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slacker »

Ladyjane wrote:https://www.ondietandhealth.com/walkabout-emu-oil/

Here is a podcast for you to listen to and decide if you want to invest in your longevity by taking this superfood. I take it for the K factor (my ostepenia), which you will learn about in the podcast. Walkabout Emu Oil will also help clear calcium plaque from the arteries.
After quickly scanning the link, it appears that emu oil is oil extracted from emu birds, similar to fish oil being extracted from fish. Are any of the studies showing benefit done on humans, or rat studies only at this point?
Slacker
E4/E4
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ladyjane »

Yes. Research has been done in Australia. If you go to the Walkabout Emu Oil website for the chiropractor, they have documented articles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk