Hello, new member here

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Hello, new member here

Post by floramaria »

Hmmmm...... interesting. Maybe I need to experiment with doing a few more don'ts!!
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Hello, new member here

Post by Ladyjane »

Hiwaystar wrote:Thanks Stavia and floramaria ! I'm just gonna go full stop for now; I'd rather err on the side of caution. I've been essentially vegan since January 2016 so I have the saturated fats under control; my weakness is carbs... Will be digging into the primer materials here later tonight.
If you are into carbs, I assume you mean grains. Check out David Perlmutter's, "Grain Brain" book for starters; then research the ketogenic diet. Low carb theories may be new to you, but a plethora of new science backs them up. Happy researching!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hello, new member here

Post by Stavia »

Ladyjane wrote:
Hiwaystar wrote:Thanks Stavia and floramaria ! I'm just gonna go full stop for now; I'd rather err on the side of caution. I've been essentially vegan since January 2016 so I have the saturated fats under control; my weakness is carbs... Will be digging into the primer materials here later tonight.
If you are into carbs, I assume you mean grains. Check out David Perlmutter's, "Grain Brain" book for starters; then research the ketogenic diet. Low carb theories may be new to you, but a plethora of new science backs them up. Happy researching!

Higher carbs can also be from starchy veggies such as sweet potatoe, yams, pumpkin, parsnips, squashes etc. It's what I am planning for my low fat vegan experiment as its winter here and its all in season.
It certainly doesn't need grains.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Hello, new member here

Post by Ladyjane »

Stavia wrote:
Ladyjane wrote:

Higher carbs can also be from starchy veggies such as sweet potatoe, yams, pumpkin, parsnips, squashes etc. It's what I am planning for my low fat vegan experiment as its winter here and its all in season.
It certainly doesn't need grains.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yes. All those veggies, including some others, are higher in starch, which can be insulinogenic. Have you studied the resistant starches?

I was not suggesting more grains. APOE4s need to limit their grain intake. Looking forward to learning your results from the changes you are proposing for your diet. Best regards.

Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

thanks LadyJane. Yes I have, and intend to focus on that in my vegan experiment.
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ladyjane »

Recently, I have begun researching and using resistant starches. Since I have a former history of colitis, I am experimenting with one at a time to see how well my body adapts to its usage. The one my husband and I are using now is acacia fiber. So far so good for both of us. I welcome any suggestions from other members and a sharing of their experiences with the different resistant starches.