New member and intrigued by this forum

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New member and intrigued by this forum

Post by Ladyjane »

Trope 14. Thanks for the Partanna EVOO info. Will buy a small bottle from Walmart and try it. If it is praiseworthy as you and many claim, I will buy a large tin from Amazon. My first test will be the refrigerator test. Does it remain liquified? Does it contain high concentrations of polyphenols? Does it smell "green." Is it organic? And, of course, the taste test. I buy Costco's organic EVOO and so I will perform a taste comparison test. I am always on the hunt for exceptional food products. Thanks for your research.

Warning about niacin, especially the slow release niacin in concentrated dosages: can cause liver toxicity and liver damage. Start with a low dose, never consume slow release, and gradually work up to higher doses. Have your liver enzymes checked regularly. I assume your primary reason for taking niacin is to raise your HDL? If not, then is it necessary?
trope14
Contributor
Contributor

Post by trope14 »

Ladyjane wrote:Trope 14. Thanks for the Partanna EVOO info. Will buy a small bottle from Walmart and try it. If it is praiseworthy as you and many claim, I will buy a large tin from Amazon. My first test will be the refrigerator test. Does it remain liquified? Does it contain high concentrations of polyphenols? Does it smell "green." Is it organic? And, of course, the taste test. I buy Costco's organic EVOO and so I will perform a taste comparison test. I am always on the hunt for exceptional food products. Thanks for your research.

Warning about niacin, especially the slow release niacin in concentrated dosages: can cause liver toxicity and liver damage. Start with a low dose, never consume slow release, and gradually work up to higher doses. Have your liver enzymes checked regularly. I assume your primary reason for taking niacin is to raise your HDL? If not, then is it necessary?
Its not a slow release niacin and yes its to raise HDL which was at 45 for my baseline test. Yes i remember reading the negative effects on the liver so after the re-test i might stop taking it. I hate to take too many supplements and rather do things with natural good foods. As for the Partanna EVOO they also have an organic unfiltered version as well, i rotate back forth between the two. The taste is good! I will check the label for polyphenols, and I need to try the refrigerator test as i am not familiar with that...could you fill me in on that test?
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: New member and intrigued by this forum

Post by Ladyjane »

trope14 wrote:
Ladyjane wrote:Trope 14. Thanks for the Partanna EVOO info. Will buy a small bottle from Walmart and try it. If it is praiseworthy as you and many claim, I will buy a large tin from Amazon. My first test will be the refrigerator test. Does it remain liquified? Does it contain high concentrations of polyphenols? Does it smell "green." Is it organic? And, of course, the taste test. I buy Costco's organic EVOO and so I will perform a taste comparison test. I am always on the hunt for exceptional food products. Thanks for your research.

Its not a slow release niacin and yes its to raise HDL which was at 45 for my baseline test. Yes i remember reading the negative effects on the liver so after the re-test i might stop taking it. I hate to take too many supplements and rather do things with natural good foods. As for the Partanna EVOO they also have an organic unfiltered version as well, i rotate back forth between the two. The taste is good! I will check the label for polyphenols, and I need to try the refrigerator test as i am not familiar with that...could you fill me in on that test?
https://youtu.be/Bfr9RPq0HFg

http://dlife.com/9-ways-increase-good-hdl-cholesterol/

http://gundrymd.com/polyphenols/

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=46

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Ladyjane
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Ladyjane »

http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-tell-if ... -oil-fake/

floramaria
Support Team
Support Team

Post by floramaria »

Ladyjane wrote:http://www.foodrenegade.com/how-tell-if ... -oil-fake/

Thanks, Ladyjane for the link. Interesting and enlightening read! Especially got a laugh from this: (italics mine)
"We had a dozen oils, and a panel consisting of an importer, an Italian deli owner and a couple of eminent foodies: the results were so embarrassing and confusing the piece was never published. The importer went into a fugue after he was informed that he'd pronounced his own premium product "disgusting"; the deli owner chose a bottle of highly dubious "Italian extra virgin" as his favourite (it had cost £1.99 at the discount store TK Maxx); and both the foodies gave a thumbs-up to Unilever's much-derided Bertolli brand."

I am not quite ready to sign up for $139 worth of olive oil 4X a year from the Olive Oil Hunter , but learned a lot from the article. I have read before about the adulteration of EVOO, but not in this depth. Here in Northern New Mexico,there are no olive trees, but I will search out local EVOO on my travels.
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
IFM/ Bredesen Training in Reversing Cognitive Decline (March 2017)
ReCODE 2.0 Health Coach with Apollo Health
trope14
Contributor
Contributor

Post by trope14 »

Ladyjane,

I hope my EVOO choice is not fake as it tastes really good with a noticeable tangy olive flavor and seems legit, however i might just stick with California olive oils going forward compared to the imports and high number of fake EVOOs. I will try this brand which i can buy locally...see below

https://californiaoliveranch.com/

Anyone know of any other good websites to order EVOO from that are legit?

The good thing upon reviewing your info links is that my new diet changes include most of those HDL boosting recommendations :D so this has me thinking now perhaps i should get off the niacin supplement today before i do my re-test on Sept 11th. That way i can see if the HDL numbers change(improve) without that niacin supplement and are related to my diet changes.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

YES, many here use Amphora Nueva based in California. They only sell recently harvested EVOOs imported from all over the world. They also source the highest polyphenols available at any given time. While they have a website, I'd recommend calling instead, (925) 310-4681, to ensure that you're getting the highest polyphenols. (The website isn't regularly updated.) Nate Bradley, the manager, is very helpful. He's offered our community large 750mL bottles for around $15 and inexpensive shipping. Be sure to ask for the ApoE4 discount also known as the 3-2-1 discount. I regularly order it by the case.
ajackson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajackson »

EVOO treats. I was recently in Napa Valley and came across Stonehouse olive oil. It's easy to find online. They have every flavor you can imagine. I love the blood orange infused. They have basil, habenero....I really don't know how many varieties but it is endless. A lot of the wineries are also making olive oil. When you have time, check out their website and have fun!
ru442
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ru442 »

Juliegee wrote:
YES, many here use Amphora Nueva based in California. They only sell recently harvested EVOOs imported from all over the world. They also source the highest polyphenols available at any given time. While they have a website, I'd recommend calling instead, (925) 310-4681, to ensure that you're getting the highest polyphenols. (The website isn't regularly updated.) Nate Bradley, the manager, is very helpful. He's offered our community large 750mL bottles for around $15 and inexpensive shipping. Be sure to ask for the ApoE4 discount also known as the 3-2-1 discount. I regularly order it by the case.
I finally did this Julie, and I must say best EVOO I've ever had, and the balsamic is also excellent. If you cant get Nate you can also work with Sharon Leone, she was most attentive and helpful and willing to work with you on what you can afford. The shipping to Chicago area was only $15, so quite reasonable.
Male 4/4 56 yrs., "Live, Laugh, Love"
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Glad you liked it, RU442. The high polyphenols are bitter (peppery & grassy) and takes some acclimation. YES, their balsamic vinegars are to die for. I've enjoyed the fig, grapefruit and lemon-infused. If you're ever in Berkley, try to visit the shop. It's a healthy foodies paradise. FWIW, I think I pay $20 for a case (12 bottles) to be shipped to me, near Chicago.