New Member Introduction ......

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
bse0214
Contributor
Contributor

New Member Introduction ......

Post by bse0214 »

Hello, I learned a little over 3 months ago of my homozygous apoE4 status. Since then it has been like drinking from a fire hose and trying to juggle at the same time. So much information to consume, so many questions that leads to more information to find and process, and so goes that cycle. At the same time, so many changes to diet and lifestyle, more blood tests to see if these changes are resulting in moving the needle on a number of metrics. Some have, others haven't. Alter, adjust, repeat the process. Then their is the emotional roller coaster of those near that we go thru together - lots of emotional energy spent only to come back to the simplicity of one day at a time - alter, adjust, repeat - and in that there is a bit of solace that it helps to focus the mind and soul on what is truly important.

The good news is that last week I met a wonderful set of people at the Low Carb conference in San Diego - it was us - the apoE4 community. What I found was caring people full of ideas and experience that are willing to be there to help and support each other. To those of you that I met - my gratitude and thanks for creating and growing this community - and to the rest of you I look forward to meeting you in the future.

My best to all of you,

Bret
4 / 4
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New Member Introduction ......

Post by Stavia »

welcome again Bret! It was wonderful getting to know you in San Diego, you have a great analytical mind and I am looking forward to your contribution to our community.
Together we will find the best way forward
xx
SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by SusanJ »

Welcome, Brett! Glad you found your way to our E4 tribe. I know all the folks you met probably told you that the E4 news gets less and less traumatic with time, but I wanted to reiterate that for you. Looking forward to more posts when you're ready.
Julie G
Mod
Mod

Post by Julie G »

Waves, Bret! Nice to see you posting. It was a pleasure to spend time with you in SD. Kudos to you for working on optimizing your health as a result of learning your status. The journey gets easier over time. It'll soon become your new normal- promise. We warmly welcome your input on sorting through the evidence to address our issues. xo
ajackson
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ajackson »

Hi Bret and welcome to our community. I like that you already identify with the group when you said - it was us. One of the first places to start on this website is our Primer There is a lot of information there. There is also a lot on the web but you never know what is good or not. It's one of the reasons why I love this website. It's great that you got to go to the conference in San Diego and meet like-minded people. I have not done the genetic testing but my dad died of Alzheimer's and that was difficult. I'm also a nurse working with the functional medicine coaching academy for certification. If it wasn't for that I don't know that I would have found this forum. I applaud your willingness to reach out and join us. It's a great support system! Alma
Lucy5
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Lucy5 »

So enjoyed meeting and chatting with you at the Conference, Bret. I'm impressed by your problem solving approach not to mention your outlook having learned your E4 status just a few short months ago. I can tell you it took me much longer to sort things out and find balance.

Your comment about "coming back to the simplicity of one day at a time" resonated with me. It's so easy to get consumed with data; going from study to study, reevaluating, revising personal strategies and so on. Not to suggest that isn't important, of course; it's why we're all here supporting each other as we debate and share what we've learned. But living in the present & finding balance also matters. It's always good to be reminded of that, so thank you. And welcome again to our group...so glad you found your way here!
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Hello Bret, you are doing such a great job getting into learning all this new information about APOE4. We are all impressed with how far you have come in such a short time. It was great having you with us in San Diego. I agree with Lucy that "one day at a time" is the only way I can keep from getting overwhelmed with all the new information we
are learning about every day. I'm glad you found us.
Starfish
ZenGinner
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by ZenGinner »

Hello, Bret! Nice to see you here.

I have been on a few months. I strongly agree with the "one day at a time" concept. I do what I can, when I can.

When I first found out, I literally wore myself out trying to read everything. Not much of it stuck, as a result. Additionally, I added to my stress level (which is not recommended).

After I did 23andMe, I found out I have both the "worry" gene and an OCD one. (Explains a lot, huh?) So, I have stepped it back a bit. Figure I will eventually get to it all. And, so will you.

I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of this forum. The group is a sanity-saver!
KK
52, ε4/ε4
Vegan