Alzheimer App Developer - What technologies and types of technology do you use to manage your disease?

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
l2silver
Contributor
Contributor

Alzheimer App Developer - What technologies and types of technology do you use to manage your disease?

Postby l2silver » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was put on to this site from 'The End of Alzheimer's'.

I'm a medical software developer with a little bit of extra time on my hands for the next couple of months. It's been a frustrating couple of years for me as I helplessly watched my grandmother's cognitive decline. What started with forgetfulness quickly turned into an inability to understand english, and then a complete inability to communicate at all. I wish I had come across some of the information posted in this site 3 years ago, but life is cruel sometimes...

Right now I'm looking to build an app to help patients or care givers manage their general health to fight off early signs of dementia and Alzheimer's. From a general standpoint, it will use information from genetic tests and blood tests to recommend personalized strategies, and use cognitive tests to link lifestyle changes to an improved or worsening score.

I've already seen some incredibly complex routines that people have developed to improve their cognitive state, and I'm wondering what technologies people are using to do it? Pen and Paper? Habbit building apps from the ios store? Fitness tracker? Blood test analysis? Anything at all would be extremely helpful.

Also, if I've overstated my welcome, I really don't mean to offend or take advantage of anyone here, and I apologize completely, and wish everyone here bonne chance!

Stavia
Mod
Mod

Re: Alzheimer App Developer - What technologies and types of technology do you use to manage your disease?

Postby Stavia » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:08 pm

hi 12Silver and welcome!
This is a very interesting and smart question.
I'd guess we are all using different modalities.
My bloods are in my medical practice's software system and annotated so I can easily graph them. I'll be the only member to have this access. Some members have designed their own spreadsheets for bloods. The rest of my dataset lives in my hippocampus and my supplement list history lives in my iherb account. Many of us use Cron-o-meter for dietary tracking.

yup - its not well optimised or centralised.
An app would be fantastic!

Lovely to have you here.
ps we have to authorise two more posts before you are a full member. sorry, it stops spamners.

l2silver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Alzheimer App Developer - What technologies and types of technology do you use to manage your disease?

Postby l2silver » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:21 pm

Oh thank you very much for the warm the welcome. Being a doctor has its perks.

This is fantastic, I already have questions. How often do people on this site get their blood work done? And I noticed that cron-o-meter tracks dietary and fitness, but do people bother tracking their fitness? I feel like the time between meals and the diet are the most complex, and fitness is more binary. You're either doing it or not.

kayell
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kayell » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:19 am

I use https://habitica.com to keep track and remind for various tasks - walks, exercise, tooth brushing, vitamins and meds, eating window, reading, Spanish learning, eating various foods, etc. Evernote for storing data, articles and notes. Cronometer periodically to check up on my dietary nutrient intake. While I mostly use them online on my computer, all are available in android apps.
E4/E4

l2silver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby l2silver » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:16 am

Thanks kayelle, I'll have to take a closer look at habitica. Looks kind of fun!

SusanJ
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby SusanJ » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:34 am

Hi 12silver. Think you're going to find we're all over the board. I used cronometer for a while to make sure I was getting enough calories and fiber, but don't at the moment. My supplements are in a word document because I annotate why I take them, along with some references. My labs are just stored as files that I got from my doctor, and a few are paper - I never scanned them. So I've never plotted changes and all my labs are just 3-hole punched and put in a notebook.

And I have to laugh, because I have computer science degree! In retirement it seems I've gone down the path of least effort.

l2silver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby l2silver » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:02 am

Haha, I'm totally the same way. I always start off with the best intentions, and then I slowly get lazy. Good to know about the supplements notes and references, that makes a lot of sense. It seems like a nutrition routine is still very much a piecemeal process.

CarrieS
Support Team
Support Team

Postby CarrieS » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am

Hello 12silver and welcome to the Forum. I lost both my maternal grandmother (24 years ago) and mother to Alzheimer's (7 years ago) and also wish that I'd had the information on this site years ago to try to mitigate their cognitive decline. I love how you are using your personal strength in App building to try to make a difference for those of us who want to be proactive with our health. I look forward to your App and being able to keep track of my health in one location. Thank you in advance for your efforts.
Regards,
Carrie
APOe4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Certificate for Reversing Cognitive Decline for Coaches (FMCA)
Certified Fermentationist

l2silver
Contributor
Contributor

Re: RE: Re: Alzheimer App Developer - What technologies and types of technology do you use to manage your disease?

Postby l2silver » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:24 am

CarrieS wrote:Hello 12silver and welcome to the Forum. I lost both my maternal grandmother (24 years ago) and mother to Alzheimer's (7 years ago) and also wish that I'd had the information on this site years ago to try to mitigate their cognitive decline. I love how you are using your personal strength in App building to try to make a difference for those of us who want to be proactive with our health. I look forward to your App and being able to keep track of my health in one location. Thank you in advance for your efforts.
Regards,
Carrie
Thanks Carrie. I'm sorry to hear about your losses, I hope that we can all make things better for the next generation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

hill dweller
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby hill dweller » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:45 am

I use Excel for supplements. I track the type, purpose, dosage, vendor and cost. This is burdensome because vendors and prices change frequently. I am in the process of using ConsumerLab.com to verify the quality of my supplements.

I use Excel to compare my blood labs over time. I use Bredesen's optimal ranges where the min/max differs from the lab report. I sort the various tests by purpose (insulin resistance, hemachromatosis, neuro, trophic support).

I used Chronometer for about 2 months, until my diet settled into a routine. I recommend it for noobies to develop a "feel" for what % of diet is fat:protien:carbs.

I weigh myself daily and keep that in my hippocampus, just like Stavia. hahaha!

Frequency? I am too chicken to use a home meter for HbA1c, but it is on my "to do" list. I intend to monitor Vitamin D every 6 months, since my supplements to date are increasing my serum level only very, very slowly. As for other blood labs, annually.

And I keep my Prometheus results in Excel as well.

Return to “Our Stories”