Introduction of new member

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
PBW
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Introduction of new member

Post by PBW »

Hi, Very glad to find all of you who are willing to enter into dialogue concerning best path for individual situations of 4/4 folks. I am a 66 year old female with two maternal relatives I watched live their last decade or more with dementia ,not diagnosed as alzheimers rather arteriolsclorosis/hardening of the arteries. So I have been researching for 16 years when I first had a clue from a high LDL result on a blood test that I probably had genetic factor. I discovered the first APOE 4 in my 50's and was surprised to find my father also passed on an APOE 4 to me. After many personal experiments and changes and more testing I have come to a lifestyle with daily fasting 12-16 hours, high intensity sprints 1-3 times per week(elliptical trainer or swimming), daily cardio 1-3 hours(biking, hiking) supplements with no statins and a diet with >60 grams carbs healthy fats 20-30% protein and lots of organic veggies. I still have many questions that pop up and my Family practitioner does not have answers nor have I been able to find them on the internet. The following have been very helpful on my journey:

Dr Diana Schwartzbein, Dr Mercola website, The Bitter Truth by Dr Lustig, Cereal Killers 1&2
I look forward to joining conversations after I finish reading all the introductions to the science and finish Dr.Bredeson's book.
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Introduction of new member

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome PBW. I'm an 80 year old female 4/4. You are so far ahead with your 16 years of research into AD and your diet and exercise program as well as the 12-16 hour fasting. You are a good researcher to have put this together over the years. The even bigger plus is that having discovered it, you actually practice it. We are so glad to have you join us.
Starfish
sylvieJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sylvieJ »

Hello PBW

Thanks for being here today and welcome to the forum.

Kudos to you for jumping right in and having positive lifestyle changes already in place. All we can do is experiment and see what's best for our own bodies.
We are happy that you have found this community. Not sure if you have read the PRIMER as of yet. It is filled with great information that you may find useful.
PRIMER

There are many experienced members in this community who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Please reach out and post your questions. We are all here to share and support.

Best regards
Sylvie
leaguepoint
Contributor
Contributor

Post by leaguepoint »

Hi....I have one APOE4 and a APOE3 , does this make me 4/3?
I have just read Dale Bredesen book and feeling over whelmed as to what test/ supplements to use. I have started exercising...5 k run three times a week and back on Keto , sleep fairly well , taking Vit d for a year now, zinc, selenium and iodine, Keffir and sauerkraut daily
I show no cognitive decline...I think! I live in Europe so some testing might be difficult but prepared to pay for some. Was thinking of taking Magnesium Threonate, curcumin and methyl Bs...maybe some Bacopa

Having seen my granma and mother with Alzheimer I don't want my children to have to go through the same

Would love some input

Thanks
JML
Support Team
Support Team

Post by JML »

Hello leaguepoint,

Welcome to the forum. Yes, if you have one ApoE4 and one ApoE3, you would be a "4/3".

Dr. Bredesen talks about plugging the "36 holes in the roof," so the book is full of information on how to go about doing that, and it can seem overwhelming at the beginning. You are already incorporating exercise, a keto diet (with fermented foods), some supplements and sleeping well--all very positive.

If you have not found it yet, the Primer on this site is another great source for information for you to look at, including some info on supplements. The Primer has a lot of information, but don't feel like you have to master this all at once. Some members follow Dr. Bredesen's recommendations, and some follow others like Dr. Gundry. So you will see different points of view on this site. Feel free to post any questions you have.

It is great that you are working on your cognitive health this early to benefit your children in the future (a lot of us feel this way).

Good health to you!
Julie
Julie
Daughter of 4/4
Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach
National Board-Certified Health & Wellness Coach
ReCODE 2.0 Certified Health Coach