Another newbie

Newcomer introductions, personal anecdotes, caregiver issues, lab results, and n=1 experimentation.
HollyD
New User
New User

Another newbie

Post by HollyD »

Hello all,

I'm so glad to have found you! I just finished Dr. Bredesen's book and was grateful to learn of this site.

I'm 59 years old and about 3 years ago began to notice some cognitive decline. My mother died of AD at age 73, and her 3 siblings all had AD too, so I wasn't surprised when I began to feel symptoms. I decided to learn what I could online and followed Dr. Perlmutter's suggestions, as well as what I could glean from Dr. Bredesen's article in the journal Aging in 2014. About a year ago I found out about MUSES Labs and signed up with them, was tested, and learned I had MCI, and that I have one copy of apo-E4.

I have had 2 protocols so far and have responded well to the changes in diet and lifestyle. Many of my blood work levels and cognitive testing scores have improved. So that is encouraging. However, near the end of Dr. B's book he mentioned that some companies are using out of date protocols, and I began to wonder if MUSES may be one of them. Does anyone know if that's the case? I ask because a few of the things they have me doing in terms of diet changes go against Dr. B's recommendations. And I feel somewhat stalled right now in terms of feeling better cognitively.

Mainly I'm very grateful for this support network. Until now I've felt quite alone with all this.
I look forward to being a part of your community.

With thanks,
Holly
Novato, CA
slacker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Another newbie

Post by slacker »

Welcome HollyD,

You are not alone!

I believe that MUSES is one of the companies using out of date protocols, and that they were associated with Dr Bredesen a few years ago at the beginning of his exploration.

Not all of our members follow the Bredesen protocol, which you will see as you start to look through our forums and threads. While we share one or two ApoE4 alleles, we don't necessarily share the same treatment approach. A good place to start is with our primer, written by one of our MD members. The link is here:
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1418

Happy reading! We continue to learn from one another.
Slacker
E4/E4
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Greetings HollyD,

Welcome to the apoe4.info website and congratulations on all the steps you have taken to enhance your diet and lifestyle.  Your improved blood work and cognitive test scores bear testimony to your efforts.   I am sorry to hear of the illness in your family but again applaud your hard work to change your outcomes .  As Slacker mentioned the Primer on this website contains a lot of great information including but not limited to nutrition, lifestyle, exercise and sleep.  Drs. Perlmutter and Bredesen are also great resources as you already know. Lastly, we are here for you. 

Kindest Regard,
Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
circular
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by circular »

I noticed the other day that Dr Bredesen's website says 'Next Generation Protocol developed by the Inventors of MEND' https://www.drbredesen.com/thebredesenprotocol (see text following the tag line as well).

I think Dr Bredesen is up to 45 more or less biomarkers he includes in his protocol. Is MEND still using the original 36? I personally would try to follow Dr Bredesen but your MEND practitioner might assist in bridging the gap?
ApoE 3/4 > Thanks in advance for any responses made to my posts.
WenRay
New User
New User

Post by WenRay »

Hello Holly I too have just finished Dr Bredesens book.
I am Carer to my 86 year old cousin who was diagnosed 18 months ago and I was struggling to find help so was pleased to find this forum.
We are in North East England UK and I can't find any where to get the suggested tests carried out as they are not available on the NHS .
Does anyone out there have any suggestions or should we just start the protocol anyway.

Good luck to everyone on this journey of discovery!

WenRay
Stavia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Stavia »

hi Wenray. Welcome :)
There is a lot you can do without the tests. You can start with the basics - have a look at my simple summary.
viewtopic.php?t=1418
Sara
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Sara »

Hi WenRay,
Welcome to the apoe4.info website. Per Stavia there is so much you can do to get started on your own! In addition I noticed you are from the UK and wanted to share with you a response I saw recently about providers in your country.

"slacker wrote:
There are 2 physicians in the UK who are Bredesen trained, and participated in a 4 day "Immersion" program with 31 people with Alzheimer's and their families here in the US. They are Rangan Chatterjee and Ayan Panja. There may be doctors closer to you; these are the only 2 in Europe that I personally know of. " ( Dr. Chatterjee is a bit of a celebrity so Dr. Panja may be the better option.)

Kindest Regard,
Sara
Certified ReCODE 2.0 Brain Health Coach, MOCA Certified
MBA, Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach
Brain Health Professional - Amen University
Surviving loved one who transitioned with AD
Starfish77
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Post by Starfish77 »

Welcome WenRay,
I'm so glad you found us. As E4's we so much appreciate the friend's and family members who are caring for their loved ones. As Stavia says there are many health improving things you can do without the tests.
Starfish
WenRay
New User
New User

Post by WenRay »

Thank you,
Stacia, Sara and Starfish for your helpful words and guidance.
I will take on board all you suggest .
I have contacted the Bredesen HQ and was informed that some 200 medics from UK are being trained in the protocol and HQ will contact me with more details when they have their new systems up and running.
Very heartening news..
Thanks again,
WenRay
HollyD
New User
New User

Post by HollyD »

Thank you for the warm welcome Slacker, Sara, Circular and WenRay!
It's nice to meet you and I appreciate the helpful info. Since writing I've been doing a bit of investigating and you're right, Muses is still using MEND, which has just 36 versus 45 biomarkers. So I'm now trying to figure out how to proceed. For now I may try work with my Ob/Gyn, who is very supportive.
Thanks again to all.
Holly